Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 12:45 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

So here is a question for everyone.

As of today, which tunes are out there that have been specifically made for the 992, and have proven pre-and post-Dyno metrics? Because those would be examples of "non-canned" tunes.
Old 02-03-2021, 01:13 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

GIAC | GIAC Programming is now available for the 2020 Porsche ® 992 Carrera ® and Carrera S ®! (giacusa.com)
The following users liked this post:
G650 (03-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 01:29 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 259 Posts

This is a weak ECU upgrade. For just a little more, look what AMR offers along with notable Performance improvements

Giac for $2,200.00

AMR for not much more

remarkable improvements in performance
Old 02-03-2021, 03:23 PM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Just to be clear, you're shipping out your ECU to M Engineering, right?
Negative, I'm taking my car to their facility in Newport to do a custom dyno tune. They will reflash the ECU on site. If you are shipping your ECU anywhere you are getting a canned tune.
The following 3 users liked this post by but did you die:
BIGWORM (02-03-2021), SBAD (02-04-2021), Tupper (02-03-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 03:39 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
For someone with 20yrs tuning I find your statement very misleading. The OEM tune is most certainly NOT anything like your typical off the self stage 1 canned tune that Joe blow the tuner who use to work at Cobb made. Not even close.

People need to be aware that just slapping a off the shelf tune on any car without logging is crazy!
Reputable tuner or not. PERIOD.

And pro tuners typically do what the customer pays for. Most want reliable power. Some want bragging rights. That’s case by case. Either way I’d take a pro tune for reliability over an off the shelf tune every time and I suggest the others here do as well.

If the off the self tune runs great. Awesome! But I want to see logs. Regardless of how reputable the tune company or person is. And others who want a tune should too. Because without proof, your all drinking the cool aid and risking a very expensive motor based on what some guy with generic canned tune use said it’s fine. No thank you.

If you tune you get logs or you’re playing with fire.
You missed the point entirely and please do not lump me into the crew that you consider "kool aide" drinkers.
The point is that these cars all come with the identical tune on identical engines.
The well known tuners do a fine job with 911s. I would have no problem with this type of upgrade on a stock setup and will do so at some point. You can do logs or put it on a dyno somewhere for your own peace of mind.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:47 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phaser
You missed the point entirely and please do not lump me into the crew that you consider "kool aide" drinkers.
The point is that these cars all come with the identical tune on identical engines.
The well known tuners do a fine job with 911s. I would have no problem with this type of upgrade on a stock setup and will do so at some point. You can do logs or put it on a dyno somewhere for your own peace of mind.
Quite right ! Otherwise my mechanic would have never approved my install of the AMR ECU . They checked their background and reliability. Also there was no risk in air overnight to and from their facility. My mechanic has been party to many ECU flash upgrades both in Porsche and other high end sports cars. In the mechanic world, for those who service high end cars, they are well aware of excellent products and sketchy ones. During the Pandemic, it is difficult if not impossible to travel any distance to allow an ECU upgrade accompanied with a Dyno.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:52 PM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
Quite right ! Otherwise my mechanic would have never approved my install of the AMR ECU . They checked their background and reliability. Also there was no risk in air overnight to and from their facility. My mechanic has been party to many ECU flash upgrades both in Porsche and other high end sports cars. In the mechanic world, for those who service high end cars, they are well aware of excellent products and sketchy ones. During the Pandemic, it is difficult if not impossible to travel any distance to allow an ECU upgrade accompanied with a Dyno.
Thank You for supporting my point. We are NOT drinking the "Kool Aide".
Old 02-03-2021, 05:56 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by but did you die
Negative, I'm taking my car to their facility in Newport to do a custom dyno tune. They will reflash the ECU on site. If you are shipping your ECU anywhere you are getting a canned tune.
I see.

Damn, that's way the hell down in Southern Cali. WAAAAAAY too far away for me
Old 02-03-2021, 06:21 PM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Tupper
I see.

Damn, that's way the hell down in Southern Cali. WAAAAAAY too far away for me
Said Cali Fornia is the place I auta be so I hitched up my undies and moved to Tennessee ! ( you aint gonna tell me what I auta do !)
TNturboS (07-25-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 10:21 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
I dont think I missed anything. I think you are dead wrong. Its been my many years of tuning experience that OEM tunes have many revisions on the same engine and car. If Porsche is different, that's a first for me.

You also where the one who said..."I've run canned, off the shelf, generic, tunes or whatever else they are called in many different cars for over 20 years and never had a problem" So... are you not insinuating that "canned" "off the shelf" "generic" tunes are perfectly safe? Because it seems to me that you are. And that's BS. Some of them may be perfectly fine. But that is NOT always the case. Especially if you live in an area with crappy 91 gas. Not all tuners make a tune based on 91 gas or even have it to test with!!! So again, that's where the logs come into play. And if you dont have a log to show otherwise, then how the heck do you know how well things really went? I dont know man. To me you are telling people, I have 20yrs experience running off the shelf tunes and since nothing blew you are all safe. I think that's reckless information.

I'm sorry but your mechanic doesn't call the warranty shots if something goes kaboom. Your regional Porsche warranty rep does and you bet your *** they dig into the ECU and its logs to see if you tuned it. There is so much tune fraud going on these days that they all do this now. So mod friendly dealer or not; you all should make 100% sure these off the shelf tunes are in fact running good. You could be running lean and not even know it. But if you feel your mod friendly mechanic has your back, go for it man. I'm just trying to explain how this all REALLYY works and how to protect yourself.

~~~~~

If anyone else cares. I have no issues with tuning or the companies that currently offer Porsche tunes. I actually have a lot of tuner experience in many car brands. And yes most off the shelf tunes are ok. But not always! And our motors are not cheap! So I would never risk it without knowing for sure. I am simply suggesting that you DO NOT take some guy on the forums word for it. To me, the wise choice would be to wait for OBDII flash tuning where you typically get some kind of hand held, or your iphone, or a laptop that can flash and LOG the tune. And if we never get to that point here, then AT LEAST get a dyno log! Part of the tune experience is to get a before and after dyno. Where they actually real time log all the important parameters. It is only then, that you truly know how well these tunes really are treating your engine. Otherwise you could possible be running your engine lean and on borrowed time. And these motors are NOT cheap to replace. So again, the smart thing would be to at least get a before and after (with important logging parameters being monitored) dyno at the minimum.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 02-04-2021 at 12:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
G650 (03-05-2021), SBAD (02-04-2021)
Old 02-03-2021, 11:35 PM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 181 Posts

Bigworm you are just rambling BS. Your destroying this thread.

The question is “ Is anyone tuning 992 s Yet”
phaser (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:18 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

no where to get a dyno around here
Old 02-04-2021, 12:23 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Karl911
Bigworm you are just rambling BS. Your destroying this thread.

The question is “ Is anyone tuning 992 s Yet”
Um ok Hot Carl.

I was talking about tunes. And what members who dont know a thing about tuning should look out for. But since you butted in, how about you tell us about your Hydra Pro tuned TS and how it got to 680HP! I've known of Hyda for years now and they have always been top notch. Last time I talked to them they did in house, road or remote road tuning. At that time the didn't offer a generic flash tune. Frankly I dont see them ever offering a one tune for all solution. So if what I am warning people to be careful of is BS. Please explain what's BS about it and why you went with a protune rather than a canned tune with no logs?

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...-ecu-tune.html

Last edited by BIGWORM; 02-04-2021 at 12:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:24 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

no where to get a dyno around here
https://www.rltuning.com/
Old 02-04-2021, 12:40 AM
malibu515
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I welcome your commentary. You seem to be quite knowledgeable in the subject. Perhaps I have royally screwed up my car, or perhaps it will remain a gem as it is now. Who knows ! I did the best I could as a layman to find answers. I went into it with my eyes wide open. Yes...It may be a warrenty problem in the future, I may have difficulty selling the car later, I may regret I spent all that extra money as I will soon need every penny as the world implodes ! Quien Sabe !
I did look at the dyno info you provided. Look at what they offer...COBB

I'm not interested ! They offer only 40 to 60 hp increase and corresponding torque . My AMR Flash triples that !
Hey ! They just said on the news that we are going to be hit by an asteroid in three days ! Guess I did the right thing !

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?