Sponsored by:

Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2021, 01:03 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by malibu515
I welcome your commentary. You seem to be quite knowledgeable in the subject. Perhaps I have royally screwed up my car, or perhaps it will remain a gem as it is now. Who knows ! I did the best I could as a layman to find answers. I went into it with my eyes wide open. Yes...It may be a warrenty problem in the future, I may have difficulty selling the car later, I may regret I spent all that extra money as I will soon need every penny as the world implodes ! Quien Sabe !
I did look at the dyno info you provided. Look at what they offer...COBB

I'm not interested ! They offer only 40 to 60 hp increase and corresponding torque . My AMR Flash triples that !
Hey ! They just said on the news that we are going to be hit by an asteroid in three days ! Guess I did the right thing !

Please understand that I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade. I am simply trying to educate members on how this really works. I have no ill will towards any off the shelf tuners. I appreciate them for what they are 100%. I am simply saying that if one chooses to use a generic, off the shelf, canned tune. To do your due diligence and get a log (ideally they offer logging) or go get a dyno o to at least make sure your air fuel ratios are in line. THATS IT.

Cobb offers off the shelf tunes for a lot of cars. They also offer logging.
Bootmod3 was the go to tune for BMW's. They offered OEM tunes, their own stage 1-2-3 tunes and logging from your IPHONE.
Heck, even Burger motor sports PIGGY BACK offers logging.

And each one of them suggests you do some logs when things are not running right. And all three of them would look at new user logs to confirm all was ok too. Which is very nice of them. So if you get a one time flash tune that you cant log. The next best thing is to at leastr get a dyno. If something is not right, they will see it and let you know. I dont know about you. But I would rather spend a couple hundred for a dyno and have piece of mind. Than take some guy on the internets word for it and possible blow my motor running lean and have to pay what? 30k? 50K? for a new motor. Again that's all I am saying.

The link was for a dyno, assuming you have the AMR flash tune on the car already. Not for them to tune your car.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 02-04-2021 at 01:11 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
G650 (03-05-2021), Russian Mafia (02-04-2021), SBAD (02-04-2021), Tupper (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 06:25 AM
Karl911
Burning Brakes

Received 426 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Um ok Hot Carl.

I was talking about tunes. And what members who dont know a thing about tuning should look out for. But since you butted in, how about you tell us about your Hydra Pro tuned TS and how it got to 680HP! I've known of Hyda for years now and they have always been top notch. Last time I talked to them they did in house, road or remote road tuning. At that time the didn't offer a generic flash tune. Frankly I dont see them ever offering a one tune for all solution. So if what I am warning people to be careful of is BS. Please explain what's BS about it and why you went with a protune rather than a canned tune with no logs?

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...-ecu-tune.html
Hydra Motorsports is 15 min from my house, and Yes they do what you call a Pro tune, on a Dyno, which matches with engine mods, catless , 200cell as, stock, etc.
As long as you match engine and mods, tune can then be as you call it a canned tune. Modern engines do not very from factory.
‘Nothing wrong with a good canned tune. GIAC, COBB, as good examples
Old 02-04-2021, 08:39 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Other than expected hp and torque increases at various RPMs, what other info would I get from a Dyno? I’ve seen Dyno reports and what are we supposed to look for that would suggest detonation issues, screwed up air fuel ratios, etc?

Wouldnt it be that if the power band was improved on a Dyno after a tune that “all is well”?
Old 02-04-2021, 11:14 AM
phaser
Banned

Received 429 Likes on 238 Posts

Um ok Hot Carl.

I was talking about tunes. And what members who dont know a thing about tuning should look out for. But since you butted in, how about you tell us about your Hydra Pro tuned TS and how it got to 680HP! I've known of Hyda for years now and they have always been top notch. Last time I talked to them they did in house, road or remote road tuning. At that time the didn't offer a generic flash tune. Frankly I dont see them ever offering a one tune for all solution. So if what I am warning people to be careful of is BS. Please explain what's BS about it and why you went with a protune rather than a canned tune with no logs?

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-turb...-ecu-tune.html
It is abundantly clear that you are just looking to argue with as many other members as you can. You also appear to have an axe to grind in regards to many of the known tuners.
The reputable long term players in the tuning market which are well known to those of us who follow and engage in this interest know powers of ten more about these calibration modifications than you do.
If you don't like the idea of using "canned", "off the shelf" tunes on a stock vehicle from these known vendors then don't use them. Better yet just leave your car stock and enjoy the safety of your factory warranty which most guys do. No more complicated than that. You can also lose the negative attitude towards those of who do use these products. What makes you think that you are in some position that allows you to make judgments on what others do here.
Old 02-04-2021, 11:17 AM
but did you die
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Other than expected hp and torque increases at various RPMs, what other info would I get from a Dyno? I’ve seen Dyno reports and what are we supposed to look for that would suggest detonation issues, screwed up air fuel ratios, etc?

Wouldnt it be that if the power band was improved on a Dyno after a tune that “all is well”?
Depending on what your tuner chooses to monitor on the dyno, a dyno could be as simple as strapping your car to the rollers and measuring how much HP and TQ it puts down. When the tuner is actually "tuning" the ECU on a dyno they will have monitoring equipment hooked up to keep tabs on AFR, timing, knock, etc. in addition to measuring the aforementioned HP and TQ. JUST measuring the power band on a dyno does not necessarily indicate the engine is happy and "all is well" as it could be running lean (which will generally make more power), too rich, could be pulling timing, etc. Some of those factors might not be known unless you are monitoring or logging the data even though all "looks well" on the dyno graph.
The following users liked this post:
SBAD (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:52 AM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phaser
It is abundantly clear that you are just looking to argue with as many other members as you can. You also appear to have an axe to grind in regards to many of the known tuners.
The reputable long term players in the tuning market which are well known to those of us who follow and engage in this interest know powers of ten more about these calibration modifications than you do.
If you don't like the idea of using "canned", "off the shelf" tunes on a stock vehicle from these known vendors then don't use them. Better yet just leave your car stock and enjoy the safety of your factory warranty which most guys do. No more complicated than that. You can also lose the negative attitude towards those of who do use these products. What makes you think that you are in some position that allows you to make judgments on what others do here.
OMG. You and that judgement nonsense AGAIN. My god man. What is wrong with you??? You are completely wrong again. I am totally ok with tunes. I have no negative attitude towards any tune company. I am simply informing those that dont know any better that they should be careful of just slapping a tune without any proof the car is running good. Check it by log or get a dyno that monitors AFR. One of the other. At least get something. Not all canned tunes run on every car the same. If you think they do, then are ill informed to the max.

Now Im blocking you for good. You're not offering fellow members sound advice. You have judgement paranoia and now you're are bothering me. Good luck to you sir.

The following 4 users liked this post by BIGWORM:
G650 (03-05-2021), Russian Mafia (02-04-2021), SBAD (02-04-2021), Tupper (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:56 AM
phaser
Banned

Originally Posted by Tupper

Typical log in graphic presentation, lots of info here. Notice the timing being pulled at about 5800 rpm.

Last edited by phaser; 02-04-2021 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:12 PM
phaser
Banned

OMG. You and that judgement nonsense AGAIN. My god man. What is wrong with you??? You are completely wrong again. I am totally ok with tunes. I have no negative attitude towards any tune company. I am simply informing those that dont know any better that they should be careful of just slapping a tune without any proof the car is running good. Check it by log or get a dyno that monitors AFR. One of the other. At least get something. Not all canned tunes run on every car the same. If you think they do, then are ill informed to the max.

Now Im blocking you for good. You're not offering fellow members sound advice. You have judgement paranoia and now you're are bothering me. Good luck to you sir.
I don't think anyone here needs you to tell them that they "don't know any better", I certainly don't. I did my own tuning for many years with an HP Tuners software suite and understand this stuff quite well. I would bet strong money that I know far more about it than you do.
Please spare me the lecture, you are not helping anyone here as you only create misconceptions. The known tuners with excellent reputations that support the forum do not need your help nor your paranoia about using their products. Give it a break Man.

Last edited by phaser; 02-04-2021 at 12:25 PM.
ggreg911 (02-10-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 12:59 PM
but did you die
Racer

M-engineering says a 992 C2S baselines at 379whp and 331ft-lbs tq. on their dyno. They said I can expect approximately 518whp and 475ft-lbs tq on 91 with my configuration (BMC filter + cat bypass + stock PSE). Another 75whp can be had using a basic meth injection system and obviously even more on 93 or better octane. I'll save meth for later if I get bored with ~600hp.

My C2S will never launch like a Turbos S with only RWD but with ~300lbs less to lug around it should certainly hang with *if not* beat one from a roll after tuning. I'll be doing some extensive Draggy testing before and after to see the real world changes of tuning.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:24 PM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by but did you die
M-engineering says a 992 C2S baselines at 379whp and 331ft-lbs tq. on their dyno. They said I can expect approximately 518whp and 475ft-lbs tq on 91 with my configuration (BMC filter + cat bypass + stock PSE). Another 75whp can be had using a basic meth injection system and obviously even more on 93 or better octane. I'll save meth for later if I get bored with ~600hp.

My C2S will never launch like a Turbos S with only RWD but with ~300lbs less to lug around it should certainly hang with *if not* beat one from a roll after tuning. I'll be doing some extensive Draggy testing before and after to see the real world changes of tuning.
No tuner claims about reliability of course...
Old 02-04-2021, 01:27 PM
phaser
Banned

Most "dyno" #s I've seen reported for the 992 Carrera S are around 415WHP. 100HP/100TQ bump from a tune on an S is going to be an exceptionally strong piece. This is dirt cheap power on these turbocharged motors.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:34 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by but did you die

I cant wait to see the results! Id be willing to buy you lunch that day for a quick ride along since Im local to them.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 02-04-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:55 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by phaser
This post is quite smug and passive aggressive whether you realize it or not. NO need for you or anyone else to judge or to determine who should tune or not.
You may not think that a TTS "needs" tuning, fine, NOT your place to render judgment.
phaser, I'd gently suggest that you are reading too much ill-will into other people's posts. We're all just talking cars here -- it's all good. For what it's worth, I'd say it IS 'nuts' to tune a 911 Turbo S, but it's equally nuts for Porsche to build a 640hp street car in the first place. I'm not judging anyone by saying that. Nobody "needs" that kind of power, of course, but lots of us love it anyway. I built a 500rwhp 944 Turbo, and have a 992TTS on order. I'm right there with you on power, and I'm proud to be a little "nuts" about it. Everyone, put the gloves down please. That's an official request.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tom M'Guinn:
2WheelsRBetter (08-27-2021), Mark in Baltimore (02-04-2021), Russian Mafia (02-04-2021), Tupper (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 01:57 PM
but did you die
Racer

I cant wait to see the results! Id be willing to buy you lunch that day for a quick ride along since Im local to them.
I'll keep you in mind brother!
BIGWORM (02-04-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 02:16 PM
phaser
Banned

Originally Posted by Karl911
Hydra Motorsports is 15 min from my house, and Yes they do what you call a Pro tune, on a Dyno, which matches with engine mods, catless , 200cell as, stock, etc.
As long as you match engine and mods, tune can then be as you call it a canned tune. Modern engines do not very from factory.
‘Nothing wrong with a good canned tune. GIAC, COBB, as good examples
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Is anyone tuning the 992 yet?