Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting Oil Change Reminder (after changing oil of course)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 12:24 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,367 Posts

@drcollie, if I read correctly the MK808 turned off the *** on your 992S? As to SRI, PIWIS of course does as well as my old Launch that I recently sold.

siberian
The following users liked this post:
gsk326 (10-01-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 04:05 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,246 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
I bought the Auto Maxicom MK 808, it does all three of my modern Porsches plus my older "regular" vehicles. It supports my '21 992 S, my '21 Cayenne GTS, and '20 Macan S. It can do a whole lot more as well, including turning off the hated Stop/Start feature in the vehicles. Note that downside of this unit is the $ 600 a year subscription after the first year if you want to keep it updated (Still works fine without the updates).
Well . . . I just ordered one, the MK808TS actually ($700 tax and shipping included) because I also wanted the TPMS functions.
Amazon says tomorrow delivery. I'll make sure the Porsche TPMS system is in the 98% coverage they advertise. If it's not what it's supposed to be, Amazon will get it back.
I sure do hope it can disable the *** and reset the maintenance minder systems on my 2021 C2S.
Old 10-01-2022, 04:08 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Although I've fussed with dozens of parameters on PIWIS I've not been able to disable the *** permanently. So I will be very keen to see if the MK808 can do it. Though at that price, it's very expensive compared to PIWIS. Thanks for keeping us posted

siberian
Old 10-01-2022, 04:21 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Well . . . I just ordered one, the MK808TS actually ($700 tax and shipping included) because I also wanted the TPMS functions.
Amazon says tomorrow delivery. I'll make sure the Porsche TPMS system is in the 98% coverage they advertise. If it's not what it's supposed to be, Amazon will get it back.
I sure do hope it can disable the *** and reset the maintenance minder systems on my 2021 C2S.

Please let us know how it goes and what specific software version is on the autel please, assuming it will perform the oil reset. Fingers crossed!

By the way, any reason you opted for the TS vs the standard MK808 autel?
Old 10-01-2022, 06:30 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
By the way, any reason you opted for the TS vs the standard MK808 autel?
Three reasons actually:
First I want to be able to deal with the TPMS System so that when I buy a set of tires I don't need to rely on a discount tire installer to have the tools or the knowledge to reset the TPMS Sensors if that should become necessary. Ex: something as simple as swapping the left and right side wheels.
Second, it is Bluetooth connected to the ALDL connector rather than being hardwired. This makes it much easier to have the User Interface where it is convenient as opposed to being tied to a short distance from the drivers position in the car.
Third, it comes with a conductance battery tester (BT506). Conductance battery testers can accurately test discharged batteries (something that is unique to this type of tester) as well as providing an accurate reading of the current CCA of the battery being tested.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:25 PM
gsk326
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Three reasons actually:
First I want to be able to deal with the TPMS System so that when I buy a set of tires I don't need to rely on a discount tire installer to have the tools or the knowledge to reset the TPMS Sensors if that should become necessary. Ex: something as simple as swapping the left and right side wheels.
Second, it is Bluetooth connected to the ALDL connector rather than being hardwired. This makes it much easier to have the User Interface where it is convenient as opposed to being tied to a short distance from the drivers position in the car.
Third, it comes with a conductance battery tester (BT506). Conductance battery testers can accurately test discharged batteries (something that is unique to this type of tester) as well as providing an accurate reading of the current CCA of the battery being tested.
This is very helpful information, thank you. The TPMS system on my prior 2006 Carrera drove my crazy. I had to frequently go to Discount Tire to over inflate my tires 3-5 atm over the recommended pressures to get the sensor light to go off. I also like that the MK808TS has a Bluetooth option. My only concern is that I have a 2020 Carrera S. Others have posted this works on the 2021 model. They are both 992's but I know that just because it works on a 2021 model does not mean it will work on the 2020 model. I guess I can order it on Amazon, try it out, and return it if it does not work.

I cannot get my signature to work but here is my "fleet"

2020 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet, 7 speed manual
2020 BMW M4 Convertible with competition package, 6 speed manual
2008 BMW M3 Convertible V8, 6 speed manual
1965 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Convertible, 4 speed manual
1955 Jaguar XK 140 roadster, 4 speed manual
Old 10-01-2022, 07:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

You can reset the TPMS (as in when changing from summer to winter tires) through the PCM under the Car Menu.

Another wonderful example of progress. On my 2008 V8 Touareg, I change tires with new TPMS sensors and I just drive off. In about 20 feet the system resets. Ah yes, it's a Touareg of course...

siberian
Old 10-01-2022, 10:42 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
You can reset the TPMS (as in when changing from summer to winter tires) through the PCM under the Car Menu.

Another wonderful example of progress. On my 2008 V8 Touareg, I change tires with new TPMS sensors and I just drive off. In about 20 feet the system resets. Ah yes, it's a Touareg of course...

siberian
True, but I also have other cars that it should be useful for, as well as the Porsche.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:50 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ahhhhhh but that wasn't stated, was it..?

I sold my Launch as I wasn't planning on working on other vehicles than VDub (Touareg)/Audi (Q7) and Porsches (Macan S and 992), so with the VAG-COM and PIWIS I'm covered.

My point was just that 14 years ago we had a system that automatically rebooted the TPMS when new tires with TPMS' were mounted now progress is that we have to dig 4 menus deep to do the same.

14 years ago, I could change the oil and measure it with a dipstick, on the Macan I have to wait 20 miles or so for the system to recognize a level and display it.

14 years ago, I could set my heated steering wheel and seat ON and it would remember it, whether in an hour or 4 weeks. Now that "feature" isn't available but we have ambient lighting...

And I could go on...

"excellence is expected" wasn't obviously.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 10-01-2022 at 10:53 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:33 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

I can report that the MK808TS I just received today resets the Oil Change interval and can also reset the Major Maintenance interval. It can do each separately.
I will say that when you get your MK808 be prepared to set aside a bit of time to register it and then to update the the: Firmware, OS software and all of the vehicle data. The vehicle data takes the longest. Figure an hour or so to register the unit and to get the basic system software updated. Then another five hours to download all of the vehicle data that is available. (I have a very high speed network, but the tool is not able to take advantage of the network speed I have and you may have available.) FWIW, I would suggest doing this even if you're only going to use it on your Porsche. At some point if/when you want to sell this tool and you're past the 1 year free update window, you'll be limiting your possible buyer audience to only those folks who have a vehicle that you downloaded the software for when you bought the unit. According to the MK808 I have the annual update cost is $295.
IMHO, this MK808 is actually quite a useful diagnostic tool, far above and beyond simply resetting the Oil Change and Major Maintenance intervals. , For the price I'm actually pleasantly surprised. It is probably capable of far more than most DIYer's: need, want or should mess with. If you don't know or aren't sure of what you're doing, be careful. If you go exploring, don't reset anything you're not 100% sure you want to change.
In short, I'm a happy camper!
gsk326 (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:35 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsk326
I have a 2020 Carrera S. Others have posted this works on the 2021 model. They are both 992's but I know that just because it works on a 2021 model does not mean it will work on the 2020 model.
It'll work on both your BMW's and your Porsche.
gsk326 (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 01:39 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
@drcollie, if I read correctly the MK808 turned off the *** on your 992S? As to SRI, PIWIS of course does as well as my old Launch that I recently sold.

siberian
I'll take a look around tomorrow and see if I can turn the *** off on my C2S. It does appear that one can do bidirectional function tests with a number of the systems that are on the CAN Bus Network. Some of the ones I looked at this evening do allow one to disable the output. Now whether this is possible for the *** and whether or not this change is sticky after you remove the MK808 from the vehicle . . . . . . . .
Old 10-03-2022, 09:32 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Thank you for the MK808TS scan tool review Bluehighways.

So, in order to maintain functionality of the tool there is an annual update fee of $295; have I interpreted this annual fee correctly?

Jason
Old 10-03-2022, 09:33 AM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Thanks blue....what is the actual, most currect, software version number? Can you post that please?
Old 10-03-2022, 09:52 AM
patentguy
Instructor

Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I have not seen the reminder yet (it will come up again before my 2 year oil change in a few months). How annoying is it. Getting the tool and software seems like a lot of money and hassle to turn off the reminder.

Does anyone in the Atlanta area know places that will turn off the reminders for a small fee? Seems like a good opportunity for someone with the right scan tool to make a few bucks - perhaps set up at a "cars and coffee."

Quick Reply: Resetting Oil Change Reminder (after changing oil of course)