Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Resetting Oil Change Reminder (after changing oil of course)

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 12:24 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,398 Posts

FWIW @Z911 and according to a VERY reliable source, Autel has come out with a replacement to the VAS (not cheap at $700) but light years faster.

siberian
Old 07-26-2023, 06:55 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 684 Posts

My Durametric seems to be able to reset the reminder on my Spyder. I sure wish there was a simple option for the 992.

Here's how you do it on my Bronco. It sure is annoying that Porsche deliberately locks it. On the Bronco, you press 3 buttons.

https://www.ford.com/support/vehicle...reminder-reset
Old 07-26-2023, 07:02 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I hear you but a Bronco costs... and a P costs... that's about as far as I want to go down the comparison list between the two.

Several analyzers provide you with a way to do this (Launch, PIWIS, Autel...) depending on your wallet size and requirements. Even on my 2008 V8 Touareg I need to run VAG-COM to reset the SRI so.... If all you want to do is reset the SRI, find someone near you offer them a case of beer or whatever...or of course visit your friendly dealer and fork over $$$$

It's a pain but they protect their Intellectual Property...

GL

siberian
Old 07-27-2023, 11:07 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

I don't think it has anything to do with vehicle cost or protecting property. It's all about Porsche not wanting us to work on our own cars. They could easily provide an owner-resetable service reminder. They just want to force us to take our cars to the dealers.

I'll buy my own tool. I'm not letting them win this stupid game. I've never paid for scheduled maintenance in my life, and won't start now. I like doing my own maintenance. It's an essential part of the vehicle ownership experience for me, and I'm not giving it up.
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:37 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I don't think it has anything to do with vehicle cost or protecting property. It's all about Porsche not wanting us to work on our own cars. They could easily provide an owner-resetable service reminder. They just want to force us to take our cars to the dealers.

I'll buy my own tool. I'm not letting them win this stupid game. I've never paid for scheduled maintenance in my life, and won't start now. I like doing my own maintenance. It's an essential part of the vehicle ownership experience for me, and I'm not giving it up.
Agree 100%. FYI - Autel put their MX 808 on a Black Friday sale last November for $379. Many of us purchased it then. Works on all my cars/trucks. Do not know if it will be on sale again this November.
jlegelis (07-27-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:45 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'll keep looking. I won't need it until spring 24 so hopefully I'll catch a good sale for Labor Day, Thanksgiving, or Christmas.
Old 07-27-2023, 12:41 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I mentioned "intellectual" property and of course they (as all manufacturers) want you to take your car to the dealerships. The one here charges (from what I hear) $250 bucks an hour and had to recently reimburse customers as some had been charged $650 for an oil change thanks to an "overzealous" parts manager.

The day I can't work on my 3 cars and skid steer I'll call an Uber assuming my sled dogs are also getting on in years. It helps the only dealer is 370 miles from here.

Keep up the good work and keep your receipts

siberian
Old 07-27-2023, 03:27 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Agree 100%. FYI - Autel put their MX 808 on a Black Friday sale last November for $379. Many of us purchased it then. Works on all my cars/trucks. Do not know if it will be on sale again this November.
You don't have to wait for November. Google shows its $365 to $380 range now,
The following 2 users liked this post by tna3:
BED997 (09-03-2023), Fullyield (08-23-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 03:49 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Before you spend cash on the cheapest or most expensive option, take a moment to think on what you want or are comfortable in doing on your car. If all you want is to reset an SRI for example, the cheapest option is as I mentioned above, find a friend nearby that has one and take him out for dinner (him not the wife as someone remarked when flowers were brought, that his wife wasn't going to be doing the work ...) or a case of beer should do the trick.

If you want to go beyond that, don't look only at the price but also at the limitations each option has in terms of what it provides. Launch is great if you have a varied stable with other non (oh heresy) Porsche cars. It usually gives you one or two years of updates for a gazillion vehicles. Although they are behind PIWIS in Porsche coverage it is somewhat clearer/easier (however dealing with Chinese translated English vs German is of course...) and has a lower learning curve. But if something isn't covered (like say matrix headlights or modifying some item) you'll never know when if ever that will become available. Other items such as is it bi-directional, does it support DoIP, WiFi, BT... does it have a CAMPAIGN function etc.? should figure in your final choice

So there's more than just what's the cheapest I can buy. Reflect on it's end use, what you want to do with it etc. In my case I started with Launch, it was great but soon ran into updates that were (for Porsche anyway) unpredictable, no idea what would be included and was several iterations behind PIWIS for what I needed. It was great for other vehicles, but I already have a VAG-COM for my Touareg and I don't really work on OP's cars anymore so that capability was irrelevant.

And most of all, READ the copious notes folks have contributed in the various Forums on PIWIS and Launch for example. Folks went to a LOT of trouble to find these tricks out, take the time to read and learn from them. Always a good time to thank them for their time and effort to share this with us.

GL

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 07-27-2023 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2023, 06:21 PM
patentguy
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by tna3
You don't have to wait for November. Google shows its $365 to $380 range now,
I automatically do two things after I start my car - click off the service warning and switch to Sport mode. I won't pay $350+ to avoid a click. (In my old 997 I couldn't click of the service notice - I just had to wait a minute for it to go off.)
Old 08-23-2023, 02:19 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

So, I started writing an ad to sell my Durametric on Marketplace. I was just about to post it when I decided to call them just to see if they are developing software for our newer cars. To my surprise (and joy!), they confirmed that they are! The tech said that their plan/hope is that the new software will work on ALL Porsche vehicles through MY22 or 23. Unfortunately, he couldn't give me a timeline. He said it wouldn't be "real soon" but they have been working on it. He also confirmed that my current unit would be updateable as soon as the new software is released. So I guess, I'll hang on to the unit I have and wait. I think this is great news! I just hope it's released before too long... I guess there is also the possibility that they won't be able to crack the code, but since others seem to be doing it, Durametric should be able to also.
Fullyield (08-23-2023)
Old 08-23-2023, 02:25 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What will the updates comprise? When (you answered that one) will the new software become available? will it feature a Campaign option? Being told that at some point you will get something (that you don't even know what it will entail - I assume beyond resetting an SRI) is...

I mentioned alternatives above, YMMV of course.

siberian
Old 08-23-2023, 03:47 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by siberian
What will the updates comprise? When (you answered that one) will the new software become available? will it feature a Campaign option? Being told that at some point you will get something (that you don't even know what it will entail - I assume beyond resetting an SRI) is...

I mentioned alternatives above, YMMV of course.

siberian
While my post was a bit nebulous, it was still much more valuable than yours.
Old 08-23-2023, 04:50 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

He said it wouldn't be "real soon" but they have been working on it. He also confirmed that my current unit would be updateable as soon as the new software is released. So I guess, I'll hang on to the unit I have and wait. I think this is great news! I just hope it's released before too long... I guess there is also the possibility that they won't be able to crack the code, but since others seem to be doing it, Durametric should be able to also.
While I'd love to believe that (I've used Durametric for over 20 years on my 986 Boxster), that seems like a really massive hurdle for them given their web site doesn't even have a valid SSL cert (which causes my browser to throw all sorts of warnings). Happy to be wrong, but I think expectations should be tempered...
Old 08-23-2023, 07:08 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I guess my post was too nebulous but hey I've got a ski resort in Florida with your name on it as soon they get some snow. Don't know when that will be but when it does, you should be all set.

siberian

Quick Reply: Resetting Oil Change Reminder (after changing oil of course)