Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 04:46 PM
gargey
Instructor

Received 298 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Cartod
I agree, what does this test consist of? I may not take mine in for testing.
I thought it would be a visual inspection. If I'd known they'd have to remove the windshield to test for this, I'd have asked them not to do it.

They already resealed it once, I guess they were 2x lazy and didn't look at the paperwork/history before when doing it at the last minute.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:45 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 994 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by gargey
I thought it would be a visual inspection. If I'd known they'd have to remove the windshield to test for this, I'd have asked them not to do it.

They already resealed it once, I guess they were 2x lazy and didn't look at the paperwork/history before when doing it at the last minute.
So they have to break it first and then determine
if it broke correctly or still poses a risk? If front windshield doesn’t break move to rear window and proceed with breaking it.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:46 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,050 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
I was told that first they look at the window's edges for discoloration, if there is they put some sort of window glazer's tool on the glass using suction and pull it to a certain amount of tension. If the glass moves it fails and has to be replaced due to bad sealant techniques. The service manager at my dealership took a 20 second look at mine and said that the recall was open and continuing and that he saw no indication of imminent failure and away I went.
Same scenario for me. I'm not interested in fixing something that is not broken.
Old 05-07-2024, 05:47 PM
celestequattro
Advanced

Received 121 Likes on 32 Posts

Just got back from Belgium tonight with 5.5 crates worth of beer (actually 2 crates and the rest loose bottles packed by the wife who happens to like puzzles).

I borrowed a 992 for a weekend before I placed the order and the frunk only takes one crate. It does hold 3 bags of pig nuts quite nicely though.

I did protect the back of the seat with a jacket, but only after grinding the front spoiler at the bottom of the brewery underground car park despite creeping down super slowly. Good way of testing your clutch control skills with a hill start in reverse and a pile of cash burned if it rolls forward a tad 😂.
The following users liked this post:
Pivot (05-08-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 06:49 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream in PTS
Same scenario for me. I'm not interested in fixing something that is not broken.
My recall notice said there was no proven fix at this point
Old 05-07-2024, 07:31 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

The last time I looked so did mine @DrKarlB
Old 05-07-2024, 07:39 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,050 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKarlB
Mine was inspected before I received the letter as it was in for an oil change and I asked about it.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:01 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 994 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by DrKarlB
The fix is to not let them touch it if you aren’t having any issues. I’m really disappointed in Porsche for making this a mass recall, but I’m sure you just plug in the data and software mandates a recall.
Old 05-07-2024, 08:12 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 165 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream in PTS
Mine was inspected before I received the letter as it was in for an oil change and I asked about it.
Mine was already changed as the rear view mirror fell off
Something to do with the bond to the glass failing at the mounting pad
Scott P (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 09:37 PM
dmia
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

I was planning to tint all my windows right after picking up this week, both front windshield and rear glass. Perhaps it would be prudent for me to wait a bit and make sure I don't have defective glass.
Old 05-07-2024, 10:24 PM
Twisty_911T
Track Day

Received 55 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
I was told that first they look at the window's edges for discoloration, if there is they put some sort of window glazer's tool on the glass using suction and pull it to a certain amount of tension. If the glass moves it fails and has to be replaced due to bad sealant techniques. The service manager at my dealership took a 20 second look at mine and said that the recall was open and continuing and that he saw no indication of imminent failure and away I went.
I was having my winters swapped for summers at the dealer and they "tested" it using this method and instantly caused a crack through the windshield...ended up in dealership jail for a week and with the Mrs. wanting a new Cayenne after driving the loaner!

If you can avoid the "test" would recommend it.
Pivot (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 01:58 PM
masmole
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 110 Posts

Now have 400 miles on my T and despite not revving it out yet during break-in, it's already a sweetheart to drive. Loving it!

A couple things I'd like to ask other T owners on this thread:

1) Just noticed a turbo whistling sound off idle when doing slow parking maneuvers. It's actually not noticeable outdoors especially with windows up but yesterday, I had the windows and roof open and noticed this sound while backing into an indoor parking garage spot. Sounds like what a turbodiesel truck would sound like when light throttle is applied. I figured this is probably normal sounds from a T which obviously has turbos and sport exhaust, but thought I'd ask here anyway.

2) After initial start-up and engine revs go down, I noticed a high-pitched sound only noticeable from the rear engine while standing outside and directly behind the car while engine is idling. Sounds like a constant "beeping" sound and for a second I thought it was my parking sensors from inside the car, but it definitely wasn't that. Probably normal too?

Anyhow, I really do love the lack of sound insulation the T has and enjoying all the other mechanical sounds and noises while driving - especially the small rocks smacking around the unlined wheel wells
The following 2 users liked this post by masmole:
anjizkit (05-09-2024), Icegrill (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 02:22 PM
Biohazard
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 83 Posts

@masmole I love the turbo whistle sound I put BMC filters on my car shortly after getting her home. I wanted to hear that sound easier. Eventually will do the 200 cell SOUL cats.
The following 3 users liked this post by Biohazard:
ECNJ (05-08-2024), Icegrill (05-11-2024), masmole (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 02:38 PM
DSC48
Rennlist Member

Received 564 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole
Now have 400 miles on my T and despite not revving it out yet during break-in, it's already a sweetheart to drive. Loving it!

A couple things I'd like to ask other T owners on this thread:

1) Just noticed a turbo whistling sound off idle when doing slow parking maneuvers. It's actually not noticeable outdoors especially with windows up but yesterday, I had the windows and roof open and noticed this sound while backing into an indoor parking garage spot. Sounds like what a turbodiesel truck would sound like when light throttle is applied. I figured this is probably normal sounds from a T which obviously has turbos and sport exhaust, but thought I'd ask here anyway.

2) After initial start-up and engine revs go down, I noticed a high-pitched sound only noticeable from the rear engine while standing outside and directly behind the car while engine is idling. Sounds like a constant "beeping" sound and for a second I thought it was my parking sensors from inside the car, but it definitely wasn't that. Probably normal too?

Anyhow, I really do love the lack of sound insulation the T has and enjoying all the other mechanical sounds and noises while driving - especially the small rocks smacking around the unlined wheel wells
1. Turbo whistle just off idle is very normal.
The following 2 users liked this post by DSC48:
ECNJ (05-08-2024), masmole (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 03:10 PM
ECNJ
Burning Brakes

Received 2,403 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by masmole

How can anyone not ❤️ the T, ha. Regarding the whistle sound, skip to 30 second mark of this vid. It’s Turbo whistles if that’s what you’re referring. Beautiful thang. 😆
The following 2 users liked this post by ECNJ:
masmole (05-08-2024), tourenwagen (05-09-2024)

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Club