Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 11:02 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
Ok, so I called a local Porsche dealer who spoke to the boss at service who says that they've gotten other complaints about this sound (I described it over the phone). He said that it is due to the "Tank vent valve" but that it's nothing serious. They've spoken to Porsche HQ in Germany who so far does not have a fix for it.

I happen to be going to another Porsche dealer in person on Thursday just to get it looked at.

Either way, we seem to be getting so many competing theories as to what this is, but the consensus continues to be that it's nothing to be worried about, which is my top priority. The good news seems to be that this is a common sound being heard by a lot of 992 owners.

Hmmmmm......

Not shocked there aren't a couple different explanations for it, wouldn't be the first time to say the least 😂
Old 12-15-2020, 11:12 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

^ Don't mind my asking, but since I don't know you, by what authority are you so sure of yourself of this? (again--no intention of disrespect, but this being an anonymous forum and all).

Ultimately, if this is truly just a normal part of the engine sound then I'm going to try to train my ears to "unhear it" and start enjoying my drives again. Maybe it will start becoming kind of like a cool new Porsche 911 sound, kinda edgy in a way..... ??

More going on the thousands of delivered 992 cars over the past year and a half ish and not one service department with a documented case of engine failure or issue having to do with any of those potential parts that create this noise, at least as of yet that can be found...but feel free to worry daily, this is the internet after all 😂.
Old 12-15-2020, 11:20 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,614 Likes on 819 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
More going on the thousands of delivered 992 cars over the past year and a half ish and not one service department with a documented case of engine failure or issue having to do with any of those potential parts that create this noise, at least as of yet that can be found...but feel free to worry daily, this is the internet after all 😂.
^ I hear ya, I'm a doctor and I can't begin to tell you how much people's Google searches and their fears about every little thing have made my job much more.............challenging.

But you have to admit, cars that are 1/4 the price of ours aren't making sounds like this, so 992 owners have a right to inquire and make sure everything is okay. The sound of our engine is at least a part of the product when you are buying a sports car. Just my opinion
The following users liked this post:
aggie57 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 12:38 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

^ I hear ya, I'm a doctor and I can't begin to tell you how much people's Google searches and their fears about every little thing have made my job much more.............challenging.

But you have to admit, cars that are 1/4 the price of ours aren't making sounds like this, so 992 owners have a right to inquire and make sure everything is okay. The sound of our engine is at least a part of the product when you are buying a sports car. Just my opinion

Totally get that! I asked the same when I took delivery of my 2020 last November and then drove 4 other cars on the lot to make sure it was the same. What Im more curious about is how no one at Porsche thought that was a sound that we WOULDN'T notice 😂😂😂.
aggie57 (12-15-2020)
Old 12-15-2020, 12:59 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

Wish they had a clip of the sound to compare ours too...

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...58-2015-a.html
Old 12-17-2020, 11:45 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

For those who’ve been following this conversation, just for my own satisfaction I took my own car to the dealer today. The service tech and the “foreman” both heard this crickety sound pretty much instantly, as it was amplified by being inside the garage.

Both said it sounded normal for this car.

Car is running great, no CELs. As long as it doesn’t get screechingly loud and all else is the same, I’m pretty satisfied with the situation.

While I will always hear the sound, all things considered, it’s already starting to bother me less. Just another part of the 911 “jangle” I guess.
BIGWORM (12-17-2020)
Old 12-17-2020, 12:36 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,059 Likes on 533 Posts

For those who’ve been following this conversation, just for my own satisfaction I took my own car to the dealer today. The service tech and the “foreman” both heard this crickety sound pretty much instantly, as it was amplified by being inside the garage.

Both said it sounded normal for this car.

Car is running great, no CELs. As long as it doesn’t get screechingly loud and all else is the same, I’m pretty satisfied with the situation.

While I will always hear the sound, all things considered, it’s already starting to bother me less. Just another part of the 911 “jangle” I guess.

That is pretty much what 3 dealers told me as well. But it doesn't explain why some of us have it and some of us don't. Id prefer not to hear it. My first 2020 992 didnt make any noises like this. Its PDK blew up. And the front end had a clunk. But NO CLICKETY CLICK.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:18 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
That is pretty much what 3 dealers told me as well. But it doesn't explain why some of us have it and some of us don't. Id prefer not to hear it. My first 2020 992 didnt make any noises like this. Its PDK blew up. And the front end had a clunk. But NO CLICKETY CLICK.
I have a new nickname for my car:

The fire cricket

(My car is red)
Old 12-17-2020, 07:34 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Check this out. Loud but sound familiar?

The following 2 users liked this post by aggie57:
bobblehead (12-17-2020), J Irwan (07-23-2024)
Old 12-18-2020, 02:16 AM
Mercuriell
Burning Brakes

Received 490 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
Check this out. Loud but sound familiar?

https://youtu.be/Hz7MITheAw8
So I guess it would be interesting to see if it still occurs on the 992 with the oil filler cap off ! It did sound much worse on that Merc though ....
Old 12-18-2020, 11:34 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Well, the problem with the dealer is that they are more focused on warranty service. That's why they keep saying "it's fine".

I'm cool with that, I guess at this point I'd be willing to pay to replace the part that is making this noise.

I'm trying to enjoy my car so I don't want to obsess over such a small matter (and it really is one--I'm pretty sure that day to day only WE are noticing this sound), but if it were only a matter of a couple hundred bucks I would be willing to take it to the shop to have whatever is causing this sound replaced with a quieter part.

If any of you ever find out what the root of this sound is and find a solution, please pass it along in this forum
Old 12-18-2020, 12:32 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mercuriell
So I guess it would be interesting to see if it still occurs on the 992 with the oil filler cap off ! It did sound much worse on that Merc though ....
Yeah, it does change as you open and close the filler cap. I tried that last night, you can make it start and stop at will doing that, partly of course because the idle revs change too. But it’s also louder outside the car with the ‘engine cover’ open.

I need to find some time to get this looked at again, in my mind it’s a fault and not shouldn’t be dismissed as ‘normal’.
Tupper (12-18-2020)
Old 12-18-2020, 12:39 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
Yeah, it does change as you open and close the filler cap. I tried that last night, you can make it start and stop at will doing that, partly of course because the idle revs change too. But it’s also louder outside the car with the ‘engine cover’ open.

I need to find some time to get this looked at again, in my mind it’s a fault and not shouldn’t be dismissed as ‘normal’.
Wait a minute, so just so I'm clear. You're telling me that the cause of this noise is simply the oil filler cap? Is it loose and vibrating or something? That sounds like it should be a simple fix
Old 12-18-2020, 12:44 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,168 Likes on 621 Posts

Every Porsche I’ve ever had has some weird noises. I had a 996 Gt3 and when you blipped the throttle it sounded like a coffee can full of nuts and bolts. Never could figure it out. I had three buddies that had the same car and all of those made the same noise. Never really caused any issues just sounded like s**t. Carl

Last edited by 4carl; 12-18-2020 at 12:46 PM.
MovingChicane (03-26-2024)
Old 12-18-2020, 03:45 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Wait a minute, so just so I'm clear. You're telling me that the cause of this noise is simply the oil filler cap? Is it loose and vibrating or something? That sounds like it should be a simple fix
No. Releasing the filler cap lowers the crankcase pressure, and hence removes the differential between it and the intake, which has two direct affects. The ECU compensates and adjusts the idle revs, and mechanical items like crankcase breather recirculation valves open/close in direct response to the change in pressure differential. I hope I explained that correctly.

The theory here is that this noise is coming from one of these valves, maybe as per that Mercedes example, but yet to be proven. This simple test is not conclusive that it is; further investigation is still needed.

Last edited by aggie57; 12-18-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Mercuriell (12-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?