Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 02:54 PM
justince
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GTorBUST
has anyone tried performing the TSB themselves? is it DIY?
There is (probably) nothing to fix. It's just the way all of the cars are. TSB is an action plan for dealers putting up with customers who are constantly nagging.
Old 01-03-2024, 07:22 PM
stevecla
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Flatulence did you get any further with this? Curious if your garage got to the bottom of it...
Old 01-03-2024, 07:58 PM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ Well, this was his last post, in September.

Originally Posted by Flatulence
Well, I am going to be the guy that figures this out, hopefully. Porsche North America basically ignored me, dealers were baffled, and the car sounds like absolute ****. PCNA and the dealer just didnt care, and doing that convinced me I will never buy a new Porsche again.

I am dropping the car off at one of the top Porsche garages in the NE tomorrow as they want to get to the bottom of this and I am gonna be the guinea pig. I mentioned it to them during a service and they were quite intrigued and agreed it sounded like ****. No codes thrown. Hopefully these fellas can get to the bottom of it. This is gonna cost me some money I think, but I absolutely hate the car in its current condition. If it cant be fixed my plan is to sell it and buy a 991.2. We will see how it goes.
By his complete silence since then, I would guess he never got it resolved (why would he? There is nothing wrong with the car, as annoying as the sound is, and Porsche will never admit anything anyhow) and either learned to live with it or sold it
Old 01-03-2024, 08:49 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
^ Well, this was his last post, in September.

By his complete silence since then, I would guess he never got it resolved (why would he? There is nothing wrong with the car, as annoying as the sound is, and Porsche will never admit anything anyhow) and either learned to live with it or sold it

I bet he jumped ship!
Old 05-06-2024, 05:39 PM
GTSilverC4S
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have this exact same noise. Check out this video. The noise is very clear in it.

It's definitely annoying. 2020 C4S. with 14k miles. Has anyone found the fix yet?
Attached Files
File Type: avi
1.avi (6.77 MB, 34 views)
Old 05-06-2024, 05:46 PM
GTSilverC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
I bet he jumped ship!
Do you still have your 2020 S? Does it still have the chirping noise? I take it after all these years there is still no fix. Bummer.
Old 05-06-2024, 05:55 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,057 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSilverC4S
Do you still have your 2020 S? Does it still have the chirping noise? I take it after all these years there is still no fix. Bummer.
Nope. I jumped ship. I had two 992 911 S buy backs (back to back) and walked away from Porshe.

Rumor was, its a normal characteristic of the car. My 1st 992 didnt do it. But my 2nd one did. So I dont know what to think about the noise. But it drove me nuts and I went back to BMW.

I hear it in yours. Yours is much loouder than mine was. Mine was mostly heard on DECEL when pulling up to a red light. I dont really remember hearing mine just reving. But its the same sound for sure.

Last edited by BIGWORM; 05-06-2024 at 05:56 PM.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:20 PM
GTSilverC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BIGWORM
Nope. I jumped ship. I had two 992 911 S buy backs (back to back) and walked away from Porshe.

Rumor was, its a normal characteristic of the car. My 1st 992 didnt do it. But my 2nd one did. So I dont know what to think about the noise. But it drove me nuts and I went back to BMW.

I hear it in yours. Yours is much loouder than mine was. Mine was mostly heard on DECEL when pulling up to a red light. I dont really remember hearing mine just reving. But its the same sound for sure.
Thanks for the reply. That is not my car but my car sounds exactly the same. I think that is a Turbo S.
The following users liked this post:
BIGWORM (05-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:48 PM
Flatulence
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the vanishing, life happened. It is in fact the fuel system, poor engineering, and non existent sound mitigation. The only fix is about 8K and a gamble. Instead, I installed the loudest exhaust I could find with a M tune, and it has "masked" the problem. IMO Porsche should not have let this slide out of the factory, this is their flagship car, they should all sound the same. It is inexcusable that a 200k car would have variances from one to the other like this. I still have mine, it is a blast to drive, but I will never buy another 992 or any other 2020+ Porsche again. Do yourselves a favor, stick with the 991.2 or earlier. Had I known I was buying a bag of crickets, I never would have done it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flatulence:
BIGWORM (06-14-2024), drios (06-18-2024)
Old 06-20-2024, 12:20 AM
Harbortime
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatulence
Sorry for the vanishing, life happened. It is in fact the fuel system, poor engineering, and non existent sound mitigation. The only fix is about 8K and a gamble. Instead, .
Can you tell us more about what you found? Did the Porsche dealer or an independent shop find it? What in the fuel system is making the sound? $8,000? To replace what parts?

Many of us are in the same boat as you and would love a more detailed response if you could.

Thanks!
Old 06-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Hindley-Milner
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This issue is why I stayed away from the 992. I rented one on Turo for a week and it drove me nuts that it had this issue. The car felt cheaper than the Hondas I drove as a kid.

Not to say it's not a good car (but it's nothing like driving a 997) - but I would never buy one sight-unseen, say on an auction site or similar. You have to drive it first.
Old 06-21-2024, 05:55 PM
Harbortime
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Hindley-Milner
This issue is why I stayed away from the 992. I rented one on Turo for a week and it drove me nuts that it had this issue. The car felt cheaper than the Hondas I drove as a kid.

Not to say it's not a good car (but it's nothing like driving a 997) - but I would never buy one sight-unseen, say on an auction site or similar. You have to drive it first.
I have owned 997's and the 992's are much better cars. Inside, outside and driving. I feel you are wrong. The 992 is a large step up from the 997 and 991's.
The following users liked this post:
TimD (06-21-2024)

Quick Reply: Does your 992 make a clicking noise like this?