Sponsored by:

2021 Delivery Date?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 01:58 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Here is the real question: is there anything, at this point, that will turn you from a complainer to a happy client? Are you going to gripe about this long after taking delivery? Will it always leave a sour taste in your mouth?

If so, I would move on. This is not a dig, just a suggestion - if you don't think you can end up a happy camper, this is a lot of money for something that is going to remind you of how unhappy the start was for you. No one should spend that much on something that doesn't leave them with a smile on their face.
Like I've said many times before, I will likely love the car - I chose to buy it because I'm a car guy and into 911s. This isn't some status symbol or toy for me to throw away when the next new shiny thing comes around. So yes, as long as the car is well built and has no major issues then I'll likely have a great time with it.

However, yes I will always remember how terribly this was handled by Porsche and I will definitely give myself pause when considering to order another 911, if that is indeed something I choose to do.
The following users liked this post:
iamwingman (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 02:02 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by LifesAnesthesia
Like I've said many times before, I will likely love the car - I chose to buy it because I'm a car guy and into 911s. This isn't some status symbol or toy for me to throw away when the next new shiny thing comes around. So yes, as long as the car is well built and has no major issues then I'll likely have a great time with it.

However, yes I will always remember how terribly this was handled by Porsche and I will definitely give myself pause when considering to order another 911, if that is indeed something I choose to do.
What's your build code again?
Old 11-03-2020, 02:03 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by gohawks23
What's your build code again?
Never shared it
Old 11-03-2020, 02:39 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,844 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Here is the real question: is there anything, at this point, that will turn you from a complainer to a happy client? Are you going to gripe about this long after taking delivery? Will it always leave a sour taste in your mouth?

If so, I would move on. This is not a dig, just a suggestion - if you don't think you can end up a happy camper, this is a lot of money for something that is going to remind you of how unhappy the start was for you. No one should spend that much on something that doesn't leave them with a smile on their face.
To add to this, several of us here were scheduled to pick up our cars in Germany this year and for more than a few it was a long anticipated experience, a once in a lifetime thing. But we all know what happened there, some cancelled and others took delivery in the US. I'm in the latter camp, had to give up 3 weeks in Germany with my better half driving some of those legendary roads and passes we read about for years in my own new 911. Sure it's disappointing but what to do? Go with the flow, accept some things suck but are outside our control, enjoy life.
The following 4 users liked this post by aggie57:
dribar (11-03-2020), gravedgr (11-03-2020), mdrobc1213 (11-03-2020), Russian Mafia (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 02:51 PM
markchristenson
Three Wheelin'

Received 640 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStanman
Why would you anchor on your handful of experiences and ignore than countless times this happens? When it happens to Mercedes or BMW, do they handle it any differently? 2018 E63 sat 6 months at port. Happened again for 2019. F90 M5 sat for 6 weeks. X7 was delayed. It's always the same exact story - OEM doesn't know when certification will come, consumers get mad.

I get we all want more transparency (including Porsche). But I'm not sure what pretending things are different now accomplishes other than more frustration.

These threads will give you deja vu:
https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/...ml#post7262404

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...busa-crap.html

​​​​​​https://g07.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1634195
​​​
Why do you anchor your opinion on the few examples you've just given? Are you not doing the same thing as me? At least my opinion is based off of personal experienice.
The one post shows opinions across multiple people and multiple brands. Your example is this one time, your first time, with a single brand. I think the perspective is that you're applying your limited personal experience with something that is fairly common across a lot of brands and people. Not saying that your reaction is wrong, just that it's limited. And as somebody else posted, and you kind of suggested it would be true, if you're going to let this part of the experience sour you, even a little, then it's probably not going to be a great ownership experience overall, even if those moments in the driver's seat are satisfying.
TheStanman (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 02:52 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Received 855 Likes on 419 Posts

Were any of the prior orders during a pandemic? Did they follow an emissions scandal? Do you have enough facts here to assess blame?
Old 11-03-2020, 02:59 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by markchristenson
The one post shows opinions across multiple people and multiple brands. Your example is this one time, your first time, with a single brand. I think the perspective is that you're applying your limited personal experience with something that is fairly common across a lot of brands and people. Not saying that your reaction is wrong, just that it's limited. And as somebody else posted, and you kind of suggested it would be true, if you're going to let this part of the experience sour you, even a little, then it's probably not going to be a great ownership experience overall, even if those moments in the driver's seat are satisfying.
Yikes. People seem to be brainwashed here. I've had great experiences across multiple brands and know several people who have had no issues whatsoever across multiple orders and brands with ordering several cars. That's cool you guys can show there are similar issues with other brands - truly cool. So sample sizes seem to be pretty similar there.

Regardless, whether or not this type of experience is "common" it doesn't make it ok. It doesn't fix the fact that this has been handled incredibly poorly by Porsche.

Telling me that I need to run along because my opinion will be soured seems quite childish. You don't know me lol
Old 11-03-2020, 03:03 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
Were any of the prior orders during a pandemic? Did they follow an emissions scandal? Do you have enough facts here to assess blame?
Im not sure there's "blame" that needs to be cast upon Porsche. I just believe they could handle the situation much better. As I'm sure any rational minded person would believe as well.

There is a 45+ page thread revolving around all of us all trying to find and comprehend elusive information about where our cars are because we are getting no where with Porsche or our dealers - does that not seem to indicate information is limited and/or being poorly distributed? Does this thread not indicate that people are unhappy with the situation and how it's being handled? I don't see many posts on this 45+ page thread where people are applauding Porsche's efforts in handling the situation.
Russian Mafia (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 03:09 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Riiiiight. I've ordered new MY cars and never had issues like this.

I get there are going to be die hard loyalists out there and that's fine. You're not really going to change my mind that this situation has been handled horrendously.
Totally agree. In my case, I’m not sure who’s doing the most jerking - the mother ship, or my local Porsche dealership/sales rep? I really don’t care, to be honest with ya. Anyway, I first put down my deposit in late June of 2020...and was recently told that the soonest I would get my 992 would be March, “and most likely, May”.

After May, I walk. I feel that 11 months of being patient is enough. Who knows, if i don’t get it, maybe this is a sign from the Car Gods that it wasn’t meant to be?
Old 11-03-2020, 03:10 PM
LifesAnesthesia
Racer

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Totally agree. In my case, I’m not sure who’s doing the most jerking - the mother ship, or my local Porsche dealership/sales rep? I really don’t care, to be honest with ya. Anyway, I first put down my deposit in late June of 2020...and was recently told that the soonest I would get my 992 would be March, “and most likely, May”.

After May, I walk. I feel that 11 months of being patient is enough. Who knows, if i don’t get it, maybe this is a sign from the Car Gods that it wasn’t meant to be?
Wait really? March or May?
Old 11-03-2020, 03:19 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Im not sure there's "blame" that needs to be cast upon Porsche. I just believe they could handle the situation much better. As I'm sure any rational minded person would believe as well.

There is a 45+ page thread revolving around all of us all trying to find and comprehend elusive information about where our cars are because we are getting no where with Porsche or our dealers - does that not seem to indicate information is limited and/or being poorly distributed? Does this thread not indicate that people are unhappy with the situation and how it's being handled? I don't see many posts on this 45+ page thread where people are applauding Porsche's efforts in handling the situation.
I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but as much as it may seem as though Porsche isn’t handling things properly, unless we really know the facts it’s hard to set standards. I’ve been in situations where the PR required we wait for facts or we might otherwise mislead. You can only tell people things like we’re working on it or it’s out of our control right now so many times and then it quickly gets stale. Sometimes to lay out all the facts meant alienating the very people we were trying to get to act. It’s pretty easy to find oneself in a rock and hard place situation with delays outside one’s control.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:20 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Yep, that is what I was told last week. As it turns out, it doesn’t bother me because: (a) I would prefer NOT to have my car built closer to Christmas/New Years (call that superstition), too much drinking and celebrating during that time and (b) given the horror stories of cars sitting at the port, I also don’t want it sitting during the Winter for weeks, or months. When I didn’t get, as promised, by late Fall, I was fine with late Spring.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:23 PM
iamwingman
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Russian Mafia
I’m not necessarily disagreeing, but as much as it may seem as though Porsche isn’t handling things properly, unless we really know the facts it’s hard to set standards. I’ve been in situations where the PR required we wait for facts or we might otherwise mislead. You can only tell people things like we’re working on it or it’s out of our control right now so many times and then it quickly gets stale. Sometimes to lay out all the facts meant alienating the very people we were trying to get to act. It’s pretty easy to find oneself in a rock and hard place situation with delays outside one’s control.
So many times?. We haven’t had the first time yet.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:24 PM
CodyBigdog
On temporary vacation

Oh, and the only reason/excuse that I felt made sense to me, from one of the posters, was maybe my allocation kept getting bumped because I had negotiated a 6% discount...and as soon as someone comes along willing to pay full price, or a lower discount....they get the next available slot. Don’t know if that is the case, or not. But if that’s how they work, my sales guy should have spelled it all out at the very beginning...as in...”if the next customer comes in, and pays full price, they will get your allocation”. That would be good to know.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 11-03-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:25 PM
Russian Mafia
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog

My guess is the Porsche dealership/sales rep. Current allocations with builds about to lock in both my area and So. Cal are showing February delivery.

Quick Reply: 2021 Delivery Date?