Sponsored by:

992 targa allocations and build advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 12:47 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Chalk exterior is really unique that way. Depending on the lighting it can look like an entirely different car - near white to near gray. Some people get spooked by that but it's a very attractive color IMHO...
I agree, I just sold my 2019 GTS which was GT silver. I wanted to change things up a little. I like both colors.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:08 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 222 Posts

Chalk exterior is really unique that way. Depending on the lighting it can look like an entirely different car - near white to near gray. Some people get spooked by that but it's a very attractive color IMHO...
Yeah, it looked like freshly poured concrete to me!
Old 11-22-2020, 01:26 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

It's a "love it or hate it" color. Kind of the anti Lava Orange, Speed Yellow, Lizard green color. I like the more muted colors, but thats just me. Others love the bright colors.
Old 11-22-2020, 01:50 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Muhney
It's a "love it or hate it" color. Kind of the anti Lava Orange, Speed Yellow, Lizard green color. I like the more muted colors, but thats just me. Others love the bright colors.
Ha, I don't really hate any colors...well, maybe that green popping up here a lot lately ...but I'm just a clean freak and coming from black I wanted an easier to keep clean car...hence, GT Silver...
The following users liked this post:
Muhney (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 01:56 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gohawks23
Ha, I don't really hate any colors...well, maybe that green popping up here a lot lately ...but I'm just a clean freak and coming from black I wanted an easier to keep clean car...hence, GT Silver...
I like GT Silver also, it's a great classic Porsche color. The GTS I just sold last month was GT Silver, with black interior and red deviated stiching. I loved that car, but wanted a Targa for a really long time. It's a step out of my comfort zone to do that Bordeaux/black interior but it always grabs my attention. I like Chalk, certainly fewer Chalk 911's than GT Silver. Good luck with yours, it's a fantastic car.
gohawks23 (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 02:00 PM
gohawks23
Burning Brakes

I like GT Silver also, it's a great classic Porsche color. The GTS I just sold last month was GT Silver, with black interior and red deviated stiching. I loved that car, but wanted a Targa for a really long time. It's a step out of my comfort zone to do that Bordeaux/black interior but it always grabs my attention. I like Chalk, certainly fewer Chalk 911's than GT Silver. Good luck with yours, it's a fantastic car.
Yeah, yours looks super cool...I also got the BR/black interior and can't wait to see in person!
Old 11-22-2020, 02:25 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

I'm with you... just sold a 991.2 Turbo S (Carrara White) to get a Targa 4S, because I've always wanted a Targa. The crazy power of the Turbo S was fun for a while, but just a lot more than I need. Just got the GT Silver Targa home on Saturday - and it's fitting in nicely with big brother and sister....

Last edited by dgtarga; 11-22-2020 at 02:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dgtarga:
Muhney (11-22-2020), Russian Mafia (11-22-2020)
Old 11-22-2020, 02:29 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

I'm with you... just sold a 991.2 Turbo S (Carrara White) to get a Targa 4S, because I've always wanted a Targa. The crazy power of the Turbo S was fun for a while, but just a lot more than I need. Just got the GT Silver Targa home on Saturday - and it's fitting in nicely with big brother and sister....

Nice, congrats. Great minds think alike. My daily driver is a 2018 Macan Turbo with the performance pkg. My wife drives a base Cayenne. Can't wait for the Targa in January. I was a little concerned about ordering the 911 logo in gloss black but not ordering the Porsche logo in black. Yours looks good, I feel better after seeing it. Small thing, but when you put this much thought into a car you want it right. Enjoy!!

Last edited by Muhney; 11-22-2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:30 PM
brucewinter
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 157 Posts
Default My production has started!

Last edited by brucewinter; 11-26-2020 at 05:39 PM.
Muhney (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 09:37 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Nice, congrats. Great minds think alike. My daily driver is a 2018 Macan Turbo with the performance pkg. My wife drives a base Cayenne. Can't wait for the Targa in January. I was a little concerned about ordering the 911 logo in gloss black but not ordering the Porsche logo in black. Yours looks good, I feel better after seeing it. Small thing, but when you put this much thought into a car you want it right. Enjoy!!
Here's a closer look at the logos...

The following 2 users liked this post by dgtarga:
brucewinter (11-25-2020), Muhney (11-25-2020)
Old 11-25-2020, 10:16 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

I also ordered the clear tailights. I guess if it looks off I can always replace the PORSCHE letters with the gloss black.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:35 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

The back of that car is glorious. I just got the 911 designation in standard silver. Once again, you can't go wrong.
Old 11-26-2020, 02:13 PM
dlchasen
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All color choices are just a matter of personal preference. I didn't care for the full Garnet red treatment; I much prefer the Bordeaux. That said, while the full Bordeaux is certainly a fine option, I also leant toward the two-tone. There's something about a red steering wheel and red mats that reminds me of my Dad's '64 Oldsmobile. The black/red interior looks great with white, silver, gray and black. The blue interior is quite bland. There's too much gray in the blue. While I like the blue exterior, I not satisfied with any of the interior choices to go with it. When I place my order, I think I'll go with Agate for ease of maintenance.
brucewinter (11-26-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 07:03 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts
Default My build for a Targa 4 - delivery February 12

http://www.porsche-code.com/PM4F8TZ9

this is the config that finally locked last week. Sort of glad it did as now I can’t keep changing it every three or four days.

similar to the design shown by another member recently.

My dealer claims he only is getting one allocation for a Targa 4 and ten plus for Targa 4S Midels. Claims the Targa 4 is much more difficult to get an allocation for from any dealer as only a handful will be made available across the country.

I have had lots of high hp cars and never used that power anywhere near its potential as I never drive on tracks and really hate smashing up my nice cars or damaging the drivetrain by hotdogging cars.

it just seemed to me that 379 hp and a 0-60 time of less than 4 seconds was more than enough for a car really designed for going on weekend trips up the coast or to lunch at a restaurant with a view of the ocean.

also the 991 targa S models had only 30 more hp than this new 992 Targa 4 and never heard any complaints about that cars power.

also this gives me close to $18,000 ( after sales tax and license fees) to spend on outfitting the car with lots of fun options without going over $150,000.

I was worried that the Bordeaux red dash would reflect into the front windshield in bright sunlight but I experimented with some red fabric on the dash of my Panamera and it didn’t seem to be a problem.

The wood trim hopefully looks nice with the Bordeaux red interior and breaks up the color a little. I liked the red leather steering wheel and this interior also has the chalk stitching and I bit the bullet and ordered the chalk seat belts - can’t see how it costs $500 to use a different color strap.

I also kept the original 19” and 20” rims so that the car would ride somewhat smoother on long road trips - I checked with the Tire rack and the outside dimensions of this small rim with tire is almost the same as the larger rim and tire. Less steel rim and more rubber tire to add a little more cushion on road bumps.

my logic is that if I was really interested in the best performing car I would not buy the Targa with an additional 400 pounds of weight but I would have ordered a coupe with the carbon fiber roof.

the targa is an touring car for outings with the trophy wife (girl friend) on a nice clear cool blue sky day on a tree lined country highway with the stereo on.

Porsche has lots of other models for unnecessary and seldom used speed and fantastic cornering.

For

Bordeaux red dipped interior- I like the red leather steering wheel - the black dash seems stark to me and with the all red you get the chalk stitching essentially for free.

I ordered the clear tail lights and black exhaust tips and 911 on the stern in gloss black.

Red Bordeaux top is more interesting than the black top.
me this replaces my Panamera with two back seats that I found rarely were ever used.
brucewinter (11-29-2020)
Old 11-29-2020, 07:58 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

If this is your first 911 you will certainly think it's great. But honestly one of the reasons that Targa 4 allocations are rare is the trim isn't very popular. Most people that fork out the extra 15+k for a Targa are willing to spend the extra to get an S or GTS. The base 4 Targa certainly has decent power and it's still a 911 but the S is a really nice package for those that want it. Enjoy!!

Quick Reply: 992 targa allocations and build advice