Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 targa allocations and build advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 06:05 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 193 Posts

They trickle. Evey dealer is searching for inventory right now, so 'trickle" may be too aggressive.

Last edited by Muhney; 04-02-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:11 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,020 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Muhney
They trickle. Evey dealer is searching for inventory right now, so 'trickle" may be too aggressive.
Thanks. So when my dealer says he has no idea when or if he’s getting a Targa GTS allocation (when they’re released) I know he’s not kidding. I wanted a Targa GTS and I’m first on my dealer’s list for it and next on his list for a Targa 4S. I just don’t know if I should jump on a 4S if an allocation becomes available or wait it out for the GTS. I would hate to pass up the Targa 4S (again... I’m a moron) and then have them not get a Targa GTS allocation.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:26 PM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. G
Do dealers’ allocations for the year trickle in or are they given a year’s worth of allocations at a single point in time?
From what I have been told, they come in "about" quarterly.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:17 PM
djlynch
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 48 Posts

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNSPJRI6

I was told I had 2022 allocation today and this is my “no regrets” build! YOLO
Old 04-02-2021, 07:33 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by djlynch

You didn't miss much on that one! Very nice looking Targa. At that price point, did you consider the sport design front/side skirts? Personal preference of course, but I find that front end change to look a lot more aggressive and the side skirts are nice but the configurator does not do them justice.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:37 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Thanks. So when my dealer says he has no idea when or if he’s getting a Targa GTS allocation (when they’re released) I know he’s not kidding. I wanted a Targa GTS and I’m first on my dealer’s list for it and next on his list for a Targa 4S. I just don’t know if I should jump on a 4S if an allocation becomes available or wait it out for the GTS. I would hate to pass up the Targa 4S (again... I’m a moron) and then have them not get a Targa GTS allocation.
So I sold my 2019 991.2 GTS coupe in October when I ordered my Targa. GTS it's a nice package if you want those items and a few more HP, I ordered all the things I loved about my GTS in my Targa 4S and I'm very happy. The power is identical to what I had so unless the are pumping the HP to 490-500 you won't notice the difference. Whats improved over the GTS is it's not lowered and rides much much smoother. I got the PDCC which I didn't have on the GTS and the handling is way beyond my expectations. If the GTS and 4S would have both been available I would have gone with the GTS, knowing what I know now I would go 4S everytime. I think I would be inclined to price the GTS with the options you want and do the same with the 4S, if the GTS is a great deal and I'm not buying anything I don't want the answer is simple. I can't stand Alcantara interior or steering wheels so that would be a deal breaker for me. I love the Black/Bordeaux interior on my 4S. Good luck.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:37 PM
djlynch
Pro

Originally Posted by dgtarga
You didn't miss much on that one! Very nice looking Targa. At that price point, did you consider the sport design front/side skirts? Personal preference of course, but I find that front end change to look a lot more aggressive and the side skirts are nice but the configurator does not do them justice.
i did just not sure if I want lower profile more scraping?
Old 04-02-2021, 07:48 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Add the premium pkg and add black pdls lights and burmeister. You get everything you are ordering plus ventilated seats and save $1080. I would also strongly recommend 18 way seats over the 4 way, more expensive but you can easily cover the cost by getting rid of the leather seat backs that you will never see. And I agree with DG on the sports exterior and side skirts. Makes the car look so much better.

Last edited by Muhney; 04-02-2021 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:51 PM
djlynch
Pro

Yes I have the Sport Tex seats so cant do premium package but added the burmester already and I have the Black PDLS lights
Old 04-02-2021, 07:53 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

So I sold my 2019 991.2 GTS coupe in October when I ordered my Targa. GTS it's a nice package if you want those items and a few more HP, I ordered all the things I loved about my GTS in my Targa 4S and I'm very happy. The power is identical to what I had so unless the are pumping the HP to 490-500 you won't notice the difference. Whats improved over the GTS is it's not lowered and rides much much smoother. I got the PDCC which I didn't have on the GTS and the handling is way beyond my expectations. If the GTS and 4S would have both been available I would have gone with the GTS, knowing what I know now I would go 4S everytime. I think I would be inclined to price the GTS with the options you want and do the same with the 4S, if the GTS is a great deal and I'm not buying anything I don't want the answer is simple. I can't stand Alcantara interior or steering wheels so that would be a deal breaker for me. I love the Black/Bordeaux interior on my 4S. Good luck.
Agree with that completely. GTS to me sounds like a good idea, but when I look closer there are lots of things that are part of the GTS package that I'd rather not have. In terms of handling you can make the 4S do anything the GTS will do. Will sacrifice some hp, but there aren't too many instances where 443 isn't enough for me. Loved my TTS too, but really didn't use that power and find the Targa 4S to be more fun to drive. Call me crazy.... my wife certainly does.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:55 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Not really that much lower - and only the spoiler lip in front. I don't have any issues with scraping and the look of the sport design front to me is so much better. If you like that look, go for it. Don't think you'll have much more of a problem than with the standard front end.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:55 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

Yes I have the Sport Tex seats so cant do premium package but added the burmester already and I have the Black PDLS lights
Just add the premium package on the configuator. Add back the lights and the Burmesiter. You don't lose anything and you save $1080. Vented seats will be dropped because of your sport tex.

Last edited by Muhney; 04-02-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:01 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

It’s not cut and dry. They will get buckets for allocations that can be filled with various models. Lots of variables involved in that. I think the dealers recently got a batch of these in March and they just became configurable a few days ago. Every dealer is different.

My advice is not to settle. My example - I had a Turbo allocation from my dealer that I lucked into. After awhile I realized I really wanted a Turbo S. I ultimately turned down the Turbo to try and get a Turbo S allocation. TTS allocations have been extremely tight and I was kicking myself for awhile when it became clear that this may not work out. Long story short, I got my allocation this week and I’m SO glad I stuck with my gut. I would have regretted getting the TT.

You turned down the 4s for a reason. If you want the GTS then get the GTS. They will be hard to get, but so is the TTS. I wouldn’t let that stop you. Getting the wrong car is an expensive mistake.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Muhney
Rennlist Member

The GTS is lower than a 4S with sports exterior.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:42 PM
djlynch
Pro

Just add the premium package on the configuator. Add back the lights and the Burmesiter. You don't lose anything and you save $1080. Vented seats will be dropped because of your sport tex.
won’t let me keep the sport Tex seats

Quick Reply: 992 targa allocations and build advice