Sponsored by:

992 - another overpriced, unsatisfying non-GT 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2019, 02:55 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
I'm not riled up . I feel like this discussion is quite civil! I don't think either of us are going to budge on our opinion though, so I wished you a good day. We are all blessed to be able to drive any of these awesome cars. I'm so excited to get my hands on a 992. Enjoy the GT3.
Same to you and enjoy your new car. It's not a POS or anything by any means. Most people are upset because it's not "911 like" to them and more "Panamera like".. Just opinions.

I hope you have a good day too.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:35 PM
aCayenneFan
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ffm99x
I seriously think that most people here read too much bias on the web.
I am not a race track driver. I wanted a modern car. The 997 was not what I was looking for. I looked too old for me. Entertainment system didn't even deserve this name.
The 991 was way too overloaded when it comes to buttons and the interior look was way to "machinery" for me. It was just a too busy car.
Then the 992 came out and I was happy. Calm interior, not too busy, quite modern inside but still hanging with the original
911s.
So I have to go a little deeper on some things.
- People complain the car is not like the old ones, but then they complain at the same time that the Dash is not visible. Well that was the case before.
- They complain about door handles. I assume they work as in the car I test drove. That is an amazing idea. I was thinking about buying a Tesla or a velar because of the amazing clean looks of the side. Mainly made by the door handles. amazing.
- The "nubbin" - If anybody (no idea why) wants a really stick, go and get a manual once those are available. The tiny shifter (nubbin) is just a nice way to say goodbye to old things. Shifters will be gone. I personally wouldn't even need the little sone but it operates perfectly fine and works flawless. Plus it feels pretty nice. Good feeling and amazing haptic when handling with it.
- None aggressive design. I agree on that one. But aggressive doesn't sell. Well it does but the people looking for and those are outnumbers by those who don't want a 911 to look like a race car. Understatement sells better.
- Sound... Yes the sound of the 992 is nowhere near the 991 or 997. But that is the time. If you want proper sound you could get a nice aftermarket SE. I was also hoping for better sound but my neighbors were quite happy when they heard the 992 sounds waaaay more quite than older models.

So this is just my opinion. But all that "all bad" talk got me writing something
I suspect the aftermarket exhaust vendors will do very well selling SEs for the 992.1. May be their best Porsche product (revenue-wise).
Old 07-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 386 Posts

Can't help but chime in given some of the silly comments in this thread....with one of the silliest being people criticising the 992 for its size. I have never heard anybody criticise the 991 GT3 for its size...rather you relentlessly hear that it's the ultimate sports car, blah, blah, blah. Well, the 992 is the same size as a 991.2 GT3 but somehow it's not a 911 anymore but a "mini-Panamera".

I have now spent over 4 days on track in a 992 including 2 days on the Nordschliefe and I can tell you that it is a very, very competent car. It's genuinely fast, handles incredibly well and even sounds good under full load. I even like the interior which takes the interior design language back to its heritage of horizontal lines. Its not perfect, but I like it.

As for not seeing all the dials in a 992, since when has any of the outside dials in a 991 been useable anyway? Indeed, the only reason why you can see the outer the dials in the older cars is because of the huge steering wheels that were used back then.

And just to be clear, I do not own a 992 (but do own multiple 911s including 4 generations of RS) but will buy a 992 GTS (and an RS) when it comes out to replace my 991.2 GTS. Why? Because the 992 is a better car than a 991.1 or 991.2.
The following 5 users liked this post by Chris3963:
911Jetta (07-31-2019), famous shoes (08-04-2019), JHesketh (07-30-2019), JMartinni (07-30-2019), Sebvelez (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 07:47 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

I love the "see I can see all the gauges" pics from 4 inches away from the wheel at hub level.

Also I'm not sure how people see the 992 interior as "busy". Having sat in one in person it is almost spartan. Yes there are screens but it is a very simple interior with lots of very clean lines. I'm not a huge fan of how it turned out but certainly wouldn't call it busy, especially vs the 991.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:42 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I think by busy it means all the configurable screens and not much in terms of fixed analog gauges. That is what I think at least.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:50 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I haven't driven a 992 or even sat in one, so I'm not entirely qualified to comment, but it seems odd to criticize a car that's built for Europe when we know that the American version won't have the particulate filter. If it's the same engine as the 991.2 GTS, why wouldn't it sound as good as the 991.2 GTS does? I don't know if there's been a single NA-spec car reviewed on YouTube that I've seen, and the most information we've gotten on the NA version has been from threads like the dealership employees who posted from 992 training. We know that filter hurts the sound, and we know this version won't have it, why not wait to see how it sounds here before saying it's a piece of crap?

I drive a 991.2 and haven't felt like the infotainment system really needed to be improved, but the new screens do allow you to see more information (maps included) than the old ones, and I don't know why that's a bad thing. The biggest interior upgrade to me is that the door panels will no longer have the ugly black vinyl/plastic trim pieces in the standard interior. The aluminum trim with the leather interior looks 10000% better (I had a Cayman with leather and my 911T is standard) and just that upgrade alone makes the 992 interior look better to me. That said, the open pieces of gloss black trim look kinda odd, and the Braun shifter was a bizarre choice.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:54 PM
dichael
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 78 Posts

I wish y’all would settle down... down just a little. The best quote I’ve heard in awhile was by bill nye (of all people): ‘everyone you will ever meet knows something that you don’t’. We don’t need to keep incrementally amping up the aggressiveness - everyone’s opinion has validity!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Can't help but chime in given some of the silly comments in this thread....with one of the silliest being people criticising the 992 for its size. I have never heard anybody criticise the 991 GT3 for its size...rather you relentlessly hear that it's the ultimate sports car, blah, blah, blah. Well, the 992 is the same size as a 991.2 GT3 but somehow it's not a 911 anymore but a "mini-Panamera".
All I could find in this thread about size is the following quote;
"Any comments about the increased size and weight of this car?"

So literally not a single criticism about the size or weight, simply one person asking one question and that's what you've focused on? I personally didn't feel the 992 felt any bigger or smaller than my 991. The mini-Panamera comments are because it looks like one with all the interior gizmos and it definitely feels more like a GT than a sports car now.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:03 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by ianmSC
I haven't driven a 992 or even sat in one, so I'm not entirely qualified to comment, but it seems odd to criticize a car that's built for Europe when we know that the American version won't have the particulate filter. If it's the same engine as the 991.2 GTS, why wouldn't it sound as good as the 991.2 GTS does? I don't know if there's been a single NA-spec car reviewed on YouTube that I've seen, and the most information we've gotten on the NA version has been from threads like the dealership employees who posted from 992 training.
I live part-time in Europe but you're right. It's very plausible, even likely that the US version will sound significantly better.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 PM
dchang81
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Everyone has called the next gen a whale, a gt not a sports car since the 964. But life somehow went on.
The following 2 users liked this post by dchang81:
JHesketh (07-30-2019), Sebvelez (07-31-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 09:29 PM
ianmSC
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by destaccado
I live part-time in Europe but you're right. It's very plausible, even likely that the US version will sound significantly better.
Ah, well that makes more sense. Trust me, I'd be very disappointed if I lived in Europe and could only have that version. It's hard to tell from YouTube but the 992 sound certainly doesn't seem to live up to my 911T.

It feels like the 992 made some very unforced errors with the interior design that are ultimately more minor annoyances than legitimate death sentence issues, things they can clean up (if they really are getting negative feedback) and change throughout the life cycle of the car. But as I said, I think there are some improvements as well that make it cleaner and simpler. It's a small thing, but the seat redesign looks much better to me, and sitting even lower in the car is appealing as someone fairly tall. But I say that as a relative peasant on this forum, not the typical rich person who wants every detail exactly to their liking at all times.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:32 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

The 992 is heavy, in fact a lot heavier than a GT division car and weight is a problem for any sports car - you can disguise it but never hide it.

unfortunately weight always impacts on the driving experience - the 992 is clearly a grand tourer, the 991 was on that road by the end of its run and the 992 completed the transition.

Its a car that speaks to people that want a grand tourer - the sports/ performance car buyers will go for the next generation Cayman and Boxster which will have the 9A2 EVO engine or a GT division car (if they keep the weight down or better still pull out the stops to reduce weight.

In essence the 992 represents a new and enlarged market.

Last edited by groundhog; 07-29-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:50 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

So happy to see an honest consumer based review of the 992 from someone with first hand experience who wasn’t afraid to speak their mind.

The 992 is a disappointment for sure but the worst part is the realization that the next one will only be worse...

So glad to see that the 718 GT4 stayed true to the formula and for myself and I’m sure many others it may represent the first time that we jump from the 911 ship into the Cayman without ever looking back.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:00 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,032 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
So glad to see that the 718 GT4 stayed true to the formula and for myself and I’m sure many others it may represent the first time that we jump from the 911 ship into the Cayman without ever looking back.
The 718GT4 looks like a bargain to me - a whole suite of changes plus a new engine and PDK next year. Great car as is the Spyder, light, agile, sexy and 420HP to play with.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 PM
wanesso
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
Funny how contrary your evaluation is to all the motoring journalists out there. I've barely seen anything negative that's actually a deal breaker (gear shifter, door handles ) I'll take Chris Harris's opinion over yours OP. I don't care for the nubbin either, but that's why I'll get a MT, with maybe an aftermarket exhaust.

It's like complaing over electric vs hydraulic steering, it's done, time to move on. Unless of course you can somehow convince the EU to relax emissions. Since as politicians are falling over themselves to ban gas cars, good luck to you.

The 992 is beautiful and I can't wait to own one.
My thoughts exactly--the reviews on this car by professional drivers and knowledgeable reviewers are great---I'll go with Chris Harris here too, he's not steered me wrong on any car so far. It sounds like a fantastic 911 (and so is my 991.2 GT3 ) and I look forward to driving this one year round--winter snow and all.

Quick Reply: 992 - another overpriced, unsatisfying non-GT 911