992 - another overpriced, unsatisfying non-GT 911

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 11:01 PM
carson2
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
too many concerns about the fonts used
To decide not to purchase a care bc of the fonts used? Are we getting our panties a bit into a twist here??
The following 3 users liked this post by carson2:
famous shoes (08-04-2019), jkautz (08-13-2019), Michael Smith (07-29-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 11:11 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I haven’t seen the 992 or the C8 but on paper the C8 seem like a much better car for the money. Mid engine super car speed and aggressive look. Those who complain about the interior are mostly haters, in fact no one seen the interior of the new Vette except for a few dealers around country. I only could imagine the GS or Z06 would totally destroy regular 911 and Cayman on the track and values for the money.
I am 911 fan boy who only driven 911 for the past decade and still love the design but 992 seem a bit off in the front and the rear for me. I thought 991.2 was much better design.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:16 PM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
I haven’t seen the 992 or the C8 but on paper the C8 seem like a much better car for the money. Mid engine super car speed and aggressive look. Those who complain about the interior are mostly haters, in fact no one seen the interior of the new Vette except for a few dealers around country. I only could imagine the GS or Z06 would totally destroy regular 911 and Cayman on the track and values for the money.
I am 911 fan boy who only driven 911 for the past decade and still love the design but 992 seem a bit off in the front and the rear for me. I thought 991.2 was much better design.
Obviously looks are very subjective. With that said the C8 looks to me like an Alienware gaming PC, with no space in the rear for little ones. I hope the discontent with the 992 is widespread, maybe I can get more than 4% off

Last edited by moomin; 07-28-2019 at 11:16 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 07-28-2019, 11:25 PM
AnthonyO
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry - America has gone full retard. A bunch of fat people whining about how the rich are jerks and the illegals are taking their jobs (apparently they want to pick blueberries in the hot sun with no benefits) while watching and listening to news only if it panders to their idiotic beliefs (both parties).

I'd also like the new C8 to be great but I've driven 4 generations of Corvettes, some for weeks at a time, and the interiors are always cheap garbage. The stereo in this model sounds crappy too. And then there's the functional but cheesy infotainment system. I'd like to take the designers from all the American car companies and sit them in an Audi A4 and show them that you don't have to spend a fortune to have a very nice interior.
Old 07-28-2019, 11:32 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I don't think the people who designed the 992 are idiots at all. They are producing a product based on many factors and competing desires/demands from their bosses, country specific market places, regulators etc. The 992 will be awesome in almost every respect.

However, the 911 has really turned into a 2 door Panamera. They are both awesome cars but the 992 is far far closer to a Panamera than a 997. I was driven around the Leipzig track by a pro driver in a Panamera Turbo S. I wan't sure what I was more shocked by - the driver or the car. Both were just awesome. I think what some of us are irritated by with the 992 is that it is posing as a 911. If you think of it as a 2-door Panamera and manage your personal expectations to this mind set, you will not be dissappointed.

Honestly, after spending 125k on my 991.2, it just doesn't do it for me. It's not the experience I was expecting when I bought it. It is highly reliable, fast as heck, luxurious and has a lot of tech. It is the Porsche icon. Not much to complain about but it just doesn't make me "feel" like I do when I drive my Boxster. I am done with Turbos. I am on a list for the 992 GT3 (unless it goes hybrid or turbo - unlikely) and working a deal for a Spyder too. If we are going to spend this much on a car, we ought to get what we want.
Pretty much agree with most of this - although a well done turbo is still a great car - I was definitely sad to see my 991 II GTS go (to be replaced with a 991 II GT3 RS). I would go one step further and by-pass the GT3 and go for a GT3 RS, a step up in feel and driving interaction from the GT3 - suprisingly and refreshingly different

I can see where the OP is coming from but would add this, Carrera drivers are looking for a different experience in relation to GT 3/RS drivers. According to my SA they want a user friendly, sporty GT cruiser - that is what the 992 is and it's still very competent - in reality the big improvement is the increased front track = much better in corners but still must be specced with SPASM and RAS in order to deliver real performance.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:26 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
Funny how contrary your evaluation is to all the motoring journalists out there. I've barely seen anything negative that's actually a deal breaker (gear shifter, door handles ) I'll take Chris Harris's opinion over yours OP. I don't care for the nubbin either, but that's why I'll get a MT, with maybe an aftermarket exhaust.

It's like complaing over electric vs hydraulic steering, it's done, time to move on. Unless of course you can somehow convince the EU to relax emissions. Since as politicians are falling over themselves to ban gas cars, good luck to you.

The 992 is beautiful and I can't wait to own one.
Chris Harris was less than thrilled about the 992. He was so bored and lifeless in his review. It looked forced. Watch his review of any 991 with an NA engine then watch his 992 review. He goes from this to this Other reviewers gave negative remarks about the 991.2 GTS engine but they praise the exact same engine in the 992. The reviews were bought by Porsche, that's obvious.

I won't sing and praise a Corvette because I do agree it's a cheaply made car with crappy fit/finish but the 992 is a total let down.
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 01:26 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

Funny how contrary your evaluation is to all the motoring journalists out there. I've barely seen anything negative that's actually a deal breaker (gear shifter, door handles ) I'll take Chris Harris's opinion over yours OP. I don't care for the nubbin either, but that's why I'll get a MT, with maybe an aftermarket exhaust.

It's like complaing over electric vs hydraulic steering, it's done, time to move on. Unless of course you can somehow convince the EU to relax emissions. Since as politicians are falling over themselves to ban gas cars, good luck to you.

The 992 is beautiful and I can't wait to own one.
Chris Harris owned a GT3 Touring - like me. If you want to pay me to review the new Porsches I'll force a smile in there and tell you whatever BS you want to hear too.

I think the 992 is crap but if you trust Chris Harris's words and not his reaction than go ahead and spend your money.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:27 AM
moomin
Instructor

Originally Posted by Psorcery
Chris Harris was less than thrilled about the 992. He was so bored and lifeless in his review. It looked forced. Watch his review of any 991 with an NA engine then watch his 992 review. He goes from this to this Other reviewers gave negative remarks about the 991.2 GTS engine but they praise the exact same engine in the 992. The reviews were bought by Porsche, that's obvious.

I won't sing and praise a Corvette because I do agree it's a cheaply made car with crappy fit/finish but the 992 is a total let down.
Did we watch the same review? "It is very much a sports car, it's lively and wants to have fun", and "The more time I spend in it the more I like it, what's not to like? I mean, really!" and "It's a really clever evolution of a 991, with a great new cabin, and fantastic engine.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion of the 992. It's disingenuous to claim Harris didn't like it though. Every time a new gen comes out it gets hate. Especially by current gen owners. Confirmation bias, and rationalization of huge purchases. As I said before, I hope more people hate it because I think it looks incredible, has a better engine, and better handling than a 991.2.

BTW OP is also not giving a very fair comparison to a GT3!

The following 2 users liked this post by moomin:
JMartinni (07-30-2019), Sebvelez (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 01:56 AM
Psorcery
Banned

I'd hate to burst your bubble but those are just words. It is the same video, and I know Chris Harris. He's so bored in there, he's acting. You should know that in today's day, words don't mean anything. All the other reviewers got a flight, stay, and food accommodations for their "first drive reveiw". It's a multi billion dollar business. Porsche is trying to protect their $$$. Who wouldn't though?

It has the same engine as a 991.2. Not better. It's a 9A2. If the engine is better and it has better handling, why does the 991.2 GTS run a faster lap at the 'ring?

Watch the whole thing and compare the two.. Look at his reactions and facial expressions when he's ripping through and drifting around. Big difference.

The following 2 users liked this post by Psorcery:
Porsche911GTS'16 (07-29-2019), RobMtz (08-06-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 02:19 AM
moomin
Instructor

I'd hate to burst your bubble but those are just words. It is the same video, and I know Chris Harris. He's so bored in there, he's acting. You should know that in today's day, words don't mean anything. All the other reviewers got a flight, stay, and food accommodations for their "first drive reveiw". It's a multi billion dollar business. Porsche is trying to protect their $$$. Who wouldn't though?

It has the same engine as a 991.2. Not better. It's a 9A2. If the engine is better and it has better handling, why does the 991.2 GTS run a faster lap at the 'ring?

Watch the whole thing and compare the two.. Look at his reactions and facial expressions when he's ripping through and drifting around. Big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTvEw-Mbzv4
Whatever you need to rationalize your opinion dude . Claiming the journalists, specifically Chris Harris is just saying nice things for money, going against journalistic ethics, and his own set of morals is silly. The guy is getting paid a very handsome sum to co-present top gear, I don't think free food and a hotel from Porsche is gonna sway him. I've seen him **** all over plenty of cars. Ferrari won't let him test their cars.

it's a GT3 he's driving. THE track car. I hope he's having more fun.

Good luck to you, I can't wait until September personally.
JMartinni (07-30-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 03:16 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Whatever you need to rationalize your opinion dude . Claiming the journalists, specifically Chris Harris is just saying nice things for money, going against journalistic ethics, and his own set of morals is silly. The guy is getting paid a very handsome sum to co-present top gear, I don't think free food and a hotel from Porsche is gonna sway him. I've seen him **** all over plenty of cars. Ferrari won't let him test their cars.

My GT3 definitely cost within the realm of the 992 C4S I drove but it's twice the car. That's why the GT3 will hold its value fairly well and the 992 is going to sink like a rock.

....and it isn't much of a track car since I use it 100% on the street. Just as comfortable as the 992 was too.

Every time a new gen comes out it gets hate. Especially by current gen owners. Confirmation bias, and rationalization of huge purchases.

Okay. ...but not every car gets hate. I think the 718 GT4 and Spyder both look great. I even gave props to the C8.

Claiming the journalists, specifically Chris Harris is just saying nice things for money, going against journalistic ethics, and his own set of morals is silly.

So people who own other Porsches can't be trusted but journalists only speak the Gods-honest truth?

Last edited by destaccado; 07-29-2019 at 03:46 AM.
Pwannabe (08-05-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 05:39 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Thanks for the good luck wishes. Perhaps you are the one making rationalizations. No need to get riled up.

Would you agree that most people on this forum have the means necessary to own multiple Porsches or exotics? Would you agree that these people at any moment can trade/buy/upgrade into any other 911? It's a poor assessment to make it sound like current gen owners are jealous/salty or biased. The 992 is nothing special to many here. Same goes for other gens.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:50 AM
moomin
Instructor

Thanks for the good luck wishes. Perhaps you are the one making rationalizations. No need to get riled up.

Would you agree that most people on this forum have the means necessary to own multiple Porsches or exotics? Would you agree that these people at any moment can trade/buy/upgrade into any other 911?
I'm not riled up . I feel like this discussion is quite civil! I don't think either of us are going to budge on our opinion though, so I wished you a good day. We are all blessed to be able to drive any of these awesome cars. I'm so excited to get my hands on a 992. Enjoy the GT3.
JMO1805 (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 06:51 AM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

I think the 992 has potential as a GT3 variant in the USA and would implore anyone interested in one to look there instead. In Europe they'll unfortunately all be stuck with the particulate filter which ruins the noise.

First it will hopefully fix the silly door handles (although maybe only with the RS variant), then it will fix the ugly looking front end and make the car more aggressive. Also, a 6-speed will definitely get rid of the Braun razor << (Have we collectively determined what series Braun razor it is yet? I know the series 5 is where German-production starts).

A 992.1 GT3 in the USA has the potential to be a good - even a great - car in spite of some quirks. The 992 C4S I drove simply was not...not even close... Even a 992 "T" with the 9A2 evo engine from the GT4/Spyder could be fun and rectify most of what's wrong with the model.

Last edited by destaccado; 07-29-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:15 AM
ffm99x
Advanced

Received 83 Likes on 19 Posts

I seriously think that most people here read too much bias on the web.
I am not a race track driver. I wanted a modern car. The 997 was not what I was looking for. I looked too old for me. Entertainment system didn't even deserve this name.
The 991 was way too overloaded when it comes to buttons and the interior look was way to "machinery" for me. It was just a too busy car.
Then the 992 came out and I was happy. Calm interior, not too busy, quite modern inside but still hanging with the original
911s.
So I have to go a little deeper on some things.
- People complain the car is not like the old ones, but then they complain at the same time that the Dash is not visible. Well that was the case before.
- They complain about door handles. I assume they work as in the car I test drove. That is an amazing idea. I was thinking about buying a Tesla or a velar because of the amazing clean looks of the side. Mainly made by the door handles. amazing.
- The "nubbin" - If anybody (no idea why) wants a really stick, go and get a manual once those are available. The tiny shifter (nubbin) is just a nice way to say goodbye to old things. Shifters will be gone. I personally wouldn't even need the little sone but it operates perfectly fine and works flawless. Plus it feels pretty nice. Good feeling and amazing haptic when handling with it.
- None aggressive design. I agree on that one. But aggressive doesn't sell. Well it does but the people looking for and those are outnumbers by those who don't want a 911 to look like a race car. Understatement sells better.
- Sound... Yes the sound of the 992 is nowhere near the 991 or 997. But that is the time. If you want proper sound you could get a nice aftermarket SE. I was also hoping for better sound but my neighbors were quite happy when they heard the 992 sounds waaaay more quite than older models.

So this is just my opinion. But all that "all bad" talk got me writing something
The following 4 users liked this post by ffm99x:
JMartinni (07-30-2019), JMO1805 (07-29-2019), medimpo (07-29-2019), porschedood5000 (07-30-2019)

Quick Reply: 992 - another overpriced, unsatisfying non-GT 911