Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 10:13 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
So I reached out to a couple of other dealerships and while they won't give me a firm commitment, they seem confident that they can get me an allocation sooner that what I was quoted by the first dealer. However, because the first dealer already put in a demand order, they're telling me Porsche doesn't like it when a customer creates more than one order. Second dealership (which is a premier dealership) will only create an order for me if I cancel with the first one. Third dealership (smaller dealership), says they will keep my name on the list without creating order and will call me once they confirm an allocation is available. The small dealership seems quite motivated. They think allocations will start to be released later this month. If I'm lucky, I might get the car at end of the year before our federal government implements a luxury car tax on top of my provincial luxury car tax...
Customer Demand order means very little unless they produced a commission number with your name on it.

My suggestion as you continue to shop around, don’t tell them you already went to another dealer and placed a deposit. See what shows up. Smaller dealers may be more motivated as you say. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by JAB12:
mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021), westcoastj (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 10:33 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,381 Likes on 509 Posts

Spoke with a Dealer here in NY in regards to ordering, he said one of the big concerns regarding delays is the Microchip shortage. He informed me my car would most likely be a 2022, with a delivery time from placing the order to receiving the vehicle would be about 12-18 months. He tried to steer me away from the Aero Kit, as he had seen some delays and quality concerns (paint match), its kind of a must have for me. Debating on placing the order now or rolling the dice next year. It does give me something to look forward to, I still have the Cayman to scoot around in.
Old 05-04-2021, 10:45 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
So I reached out to a couple of other dealerships and while they won't give me a firm commitment, they seem confident that they can get me an allocation sooner that what I was quoted by the first dealer. However, because the first dealer already put in a demand order, they're telling me Porsche doesn't like it when a customer creates more than one order. Second dealership (which is a premier dealership) will only create an order for me if I cancel with the first one. Third dealership (smaller dealership), says they will keep my name on the list without creating order and will call me once they confirm an allocation is available. The small dealership seems quite motivated. They think allocations will start to be released later this month. If I'm lucky, I might get the car at end of the year before our federal government implements a luxury car tax on top of my provincial luxury car tax...
Originally Posted by JAB12
Customer Demand order means very little unless they produced a commission number with your name on it.

My suggestion as you continue to shop around, don’t tell them you already went to another dealer and placed a deposit. See what shows up. Smaller dealers may be more motivated as you say. Good luck!
Exactly! Why tell the dealers you have orders with other dealers? Just ask them to place a demand order or list and hope someone calls. And regarding demand orders, my dealer has put 3 demand order in for me, what's to say I am not a buyer that would like all 3 cars? Look at it like this, PCNA will look at demand orders in order to help them with allocations, I dont think it is an issue if they see clearly one dealer has more demand order than the rest. It can only help in my mind.
The following users liked this post:
westcoastj (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 10:45 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 519 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
Spoke with a Dealer here in NY in regards to ordering, he said one of the big concerns regarding delays is the Microchip shortage. He informed me my car would most likely be a 2022, with a delivery time from placing the order to receiving the vehicle would be about 12-18 months. He tried to steer me away from the Aero Kit, as he had seen some delays and quality concerns (paint match), its kind of a must have for me. Debating on placing the order now or rolling the dice next year. It does give me something to look forward to, I still have the Cayman to scoot around in.
No doubt that it would be a 2022 at this point in time. If you know you're going to go for a 992, why not put in an order and get in line for an allocation? Allocations are extremely tight as everyone knows so it's only going to get worse over time. What effect the microchip shortage has is an unknown but it seems that as of now, Porsche has put the burden on new Macan and Cayenne orders, trying to keep other lines moving as well as possible. But other supply chain issues are also causing problems. And if you want the Aerokit go for it. As I understand it the previous issue was again a supplier issue which for now has been resolved.
Graufuchs (05-13-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 10:53 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 959 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by fty
Long Island is a bad place to order a car - any high end car really. I bought my last 4 BMWs in NJ, I can't even imagine how bad it will be for a Porsche. LI is just a captive market, too many buyers with ready cash. I did find the people at Amityville (was Legend) were nice.
Old 05-04-2021, 11:01 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys, my first time buying a Porsche - never had to do anything like this with my prior cars! My dad bought a C4S back in 2002 and waited over a year back then!
Old 05-05-2021, 01:18 AM
oneof5
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 10 Posts

My Targa4S started production 3 days early but the est. delivery time extended by a week. Really no concern since I actually just recently checked the website after a few weeks. I have the patience of Job. It arrives when it arrives. Being an engineer on ships for the better part of 3 decades, I know how shipping goes.

The following 2 users liked this post by oneof5:
Go Bruins (05-05-2021), mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 03:16 AM
becauseitis
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by oneof5
My Targa4S started production 3 days early but the est. delivery time extended by a week. Really no concern since I actually just recently checked the website after a few weeks. I have the patience of Job. It arrives when it arrives. Being an engineer on ships for the better part of 3 decades, I know how shipping goes.

you have more patience than I. I am hoping that mine gets pushed up as well. My lock date was 4/30 but still not confirmed start date for production. Targa 4s. My deliver date has not changed from 8/13.
I envy your ability to not check every day as i do......
Old 05-05-2021, 09:44 AM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by fty

So I guess that's where I'm at as well, 12-18 months. More concerning is both dealers by me refuse to even take deposits until they can get an allocation. Is this normal?

I'm also concerned I'll wait a year just for them to say sorry, can't get you an allocation.

Or worse yet, has porsche made a practice of taking allocations, and deposit, and eventually not fulfilling an order and returning a refund?

The 1 dealer told me their deposit is non refundable no matter what. If that happens, how on earth can they legally keep my deposit if porsche cancels the allocation???

These times are so, so strange....
Graufuchs (05-13-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 10:13 AM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by westsiderkg
So I guess that's where I'm at as well, 12-18 months. More concerning is both dealers by me refuse to even take deposits until they can get an allocation. Is this normal?

I'm also concerned I'll wait a year just for them to say sorry, can't get you an allocation.

Or worse yet, has porsche made a practice of taking allocations, and deposit, and eventually not fulfilling an order and returning a refund?

The 1 dealer told me their deposit is non refundable no matter what. If that happens, how on earth can they legally keep my deposit if porsche cancels the allocation???

These times are so, so strange....
Porsche does not take deposits, it is up to the individual dealers whether to take deposits for waitlists or not. I have experienced some dealer who do take deposits for waitlists to increase their working capital. But other more pragmatic dealers do not, knowing it is essentially worthless if they cannot promise you a car. However, once you do receive an allocation, you will be asked to provide a deposit.

And in most States, if not all, there is no legal binding requirement to take your deposit and not return it to you if an order is cancelled.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:19 AM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 256 Posts

A dealer might claim a deposit is "non-refundable," but the most business-friendly state would not be able to enforce this policy. I think it's more a matter of the dealer not wanting the customer to reserve a spot at many different locations. Personally, I would never leave a deposit unless I had a real allocation and a confirmed order on "Track your Dream." That's my situation (super lucky) on my recent Targa 4 allocation. And my dealer, Porsche of the Main Line (Philly), has told me that the deposit is refundable. He said that's their policy unless the order is so unique that selling the car would require a discount (e.g. Python Green with Lava Red wheels). They took my deposit and didn't even run a credit check.

The following 2 users liked this post by Go Bruins:
becauseitis (05-06-2021), mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 12:45 PM
JMW911
AutoX

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Vehicle fixed 02/23/2021 Vehicle exit production 03/08/2021 Exit Port Emden 04/15/2021
Just off the truck at Dealership 05/05/2021.
Will post pic's in New Owners thread Post delivery. Good luck to all waiting.

The following 2 users liked this post by JMW911:
Go Bruins (05-06-2021), westcoastj (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 03:04 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Is TYD down again? When I go to the web site it goes straight to a configuration of the car.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:05 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by phila12180
Is TYD down again? When I go to the web site it goes straight to a configuration of the car.
My SA and I noticed the same this morning. It isn't just you.
Old 05-05-2021, 03:07 PM
phila12180
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Daft Chief
My SA and I noticed the same this morning. It isn't just you.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!