Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 06:34 PM
MadDog_
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Alright guys, I'm officially a member of this thread now. Just placed my deposit, was told 4 to 8 months for allocation (does this sound right?), so I will be impatiently waiting. Deposit is refundable so I will keep looking for a used 911 in the meantime, but used prices are outrageous.

Here is my build sheet:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNRLAKB2
That does not sound right to me.

A couple of points:

1) Shouldn't have to put down a deposit until the dealer has an actual allocation.

2) I know allocations are currently in short supply, but 4-8 months just for an allocation sounds ridiculous. Last fall, when I'd changed my config and needed a new allocation, the dealer I went with got an allocation within 1-2 weeks.

I'd keep looking for a shorter leadtime to an allocation, but that's just me.
The following 3 users liked this post by MadDog_:
mdrobc1213 (05-04-2021), Tedster (05-04-2021), westcoastj (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 06:38 PM
dgtarga
Rennlist Member

Received 518 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by MadDog_

A couple of points:

1) Shouldn't have to put down a deposit until the dealer has an actual allocation.

2) I know allocations are currently in short supply, but 4-8 months just for an allocation sounds ridiculous. Last fall, when I'd changed my config and needed a new allocation, the dealer I went with got an allocation within 1-2 weeks.

I second that. Would probably start looking somewhere outside of California. The timing is ridiculous, and a deposit to get an allocation is even more absurd.
The following users liked this post:
MadDog_ (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:01 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by westcoastj
Alright guys, I'm officially a member of this thread now. Just placed my deposit, was told 4 to 8 months for allocation (does this sound right?), so I will be impatiently waiting. Deposit is refundable so I will keep looking for a used 911 in the meantime, but used prices are outrageous.

Here is my build sheet:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNRLAKB2
Last year before this 911 shortage and ADM crazyness, and before I fully understood 'the game'. I put my small deposit down in Feb 2020 and the allocation came 5 months later in July 2020 with Comm number and car was slid to be a 2021. She's in my garage now, but lessons learned, I would not put a deposit down until there is a secure allocation with Comm number pretty much same day or next day. This said, the allocation wait time may not be as far fetched based on where they are right now with supply v demand. I would however, try other dealers for a sooner date of delivery. Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by JAB12:
mdrobc1213 (05-04-2021), westcoastj (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 08:00 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,826 Likes on 952 Posts

Originally Posted by dgtarga
I second that. Would probably start looking somewhere outside of California. The timing is ridiculous, and a deposit to get an allocation is even more absurd.
I third that (and not just b/c of the pedal ). I got an allocation from a dealer in January, and didn't go back to him for 2 weeks to secure it. But did. Another dealer I talked to in February (hoping to get a good discount) actually had an allocation for me. Which of course I let slip b/c he wouldn't offer me a discount (understood no one really is) and b/c I already had one (which he didn't know). Truth is the dealer I chose not to work with is bigger and has a bigger showroom and offered me an allocation with a completely refundable deposit if I chose not to take delivery of my build, but also strongly suggested my build had to be $145-155k at least for C2S. And the dealer I chose to stay with is keeping my deposit if I bail on the deal, but for other reasons I felt like it was the better relationship. They don't get as many allocations, don't do the volume, don't have as big of a showroom, or a big flashy area to deliver their new cars. The dealer I opted not to work with had 20x the showroom square footage (NO KIDDING!!) and there are only 5 cars in the showroom, none for sale, and all owned by the owner of the dealer and rare p-cars. It is a beautiful dealership. But it didn't feel right. After I didn't take them up on an allocation, he sold it to another buyer, and called me a month later to see if I wanted one as another had come in.

From January through April I could have had 3 allocations. You should not have to wait 4-8 months for one.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
MadDog_ (05-03-2021), mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:59 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

A couple of points:

Originally Posted by dgtarga
Thanks for the feedback guys. But to be clear I'm located in Vancouver, Canada not California. I'm thinking we get less allocations than the USA, and we have an extremely high demand for high-end cars here (there are used Porsche selling for above MSRP!). Unfortunately there are only 3 dealerships in my area and they are owned by 2 of the big aut ogroups, but I will reach out to them to see if any difference in wait times. A few members on another forum I'm active on have also reported long wait times for allocations in Canada.
mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 10:21 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 920 Likes on 515 Posts

Consider the white metallic paint, instead of the base white.
The following 2 users liked this post by nyca:
c1pher (05-08-2021), Tedster (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:15 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I third that (and not just b/c of the pedal ). I got an allocation from a dealer in January, and didn't go back to him for 2 weeks to secure it. But did. Another dealer I talked to in February (hoping to get a good discount) actually had an allocation for me. Which of course I let slip b/c he wouldn't offer me a discount (understood no one really is) and b/c I already had one (which he didn't know). Truth is the dealer I chose not to work with is bigger and has a bigger showroom and offered me an allocation with a completely refundable deposit if I chose not to take delivery of my build, but also strongly suggested my build had to be $145-155k at least for C2S. And the dealer I chose to stay with is keeping my deposit if I bail on the deal, but for other reasons I felt like it was the better relationship. They don't get as many allocations, don't do the volume, don't have as big of a showroom, or a big flashy area to deliver their new cars. The dealer I opted not to work with had 20x the showroom square footage (NO KIDDING!!) and there are only 5 cars in the showroom, none for sale, and all owned by the owner of the dealer and rare p-cars. It is a beautiful dealership. But it didn't feel right. After I didn't take them up on an allocation, he sold it to another buyer, and called me a month later to see if I wanted one as another had come in.

From January through April I could have had 3 allocations. You should not have to wait 4-8 months for one.
From my experience and the data points on Rennlist, the real squeeze began this April. So I would caution trying to extrapolate experiences from before that to predict the current situation.
JAB12 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 04:21 AM
SBAD
Pro

Received 708 Likes on 278 Posts

A couple of points:

The issue of leaving a deposit is not so cut and dry. Right now, many dealers have waiting lists for their allocations. If you feel good about the dealer, there is nothing wrong with leaving a small (<$3K) refundable deposit to secure your position on the list. This way you can keep looking at other dealers. Of course, if the dealer says there are 3 or more people on the list, then don’t bother.
The following 2 users liked this post by SBAD:
mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021), westcoastj (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 08:18 AM
sportmode
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes! Just saw that my C2S is on board the Rcc Classic in Emden, pushing up my estimated delivery date about 2 weeks to 5/22! The dream is starting to get real.
The following 2 users liked this post by sportmode:
mdrobc1213 (05-06-2021), Moosedoc (05-18-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 09:52 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 490 Posts

After hearing this, may put in my order within the next month or so, I retire in a year and wanted the car as a gift to myself. I figure close to a year for actual delivery? Am I wrong?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNJYKCQ7

westcoastj (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 12:41 PM
JAB12
Rennlist Member

Received 627 Likes on 362 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by fty
After hearing this, may put in my order within the next month or so, I retire in a year and wanted the car as a gift to myself. I figure close to a year for actual delivery? Am I wrong?

http://www.porsche-code.com/PNJYKCQ7

It depends on when your allocation lands for delivery date and also on the options of the car in case you select either paint to sample or special wishes. PTS has only a certain time of the year for paint, typically Feb/March. so even if you get an allocation in the next month, should you select PTS, the car's delivery roughly will be in 10 months to a year or so. Standard or metallic upgraded colors have a shorter paint cycle. You may get lucky and get a late 2021 delivery. Again it all depends on where your allocation falls. Based on current climate one can only remain hopeful. All this said I waited a year and half for mine. Good luck!
Graufuchs (05-04-2021)
Old 05-04-2021, 02:53 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by sportmode
Yes! Just saw that my C2S is on board the Rcc Classic in Emden, pushing up my estimated delivery date about 2 weeks to 5/22! The dream is starting to get real.
Glad for you! My C2S is also at Emden, since 4/26. I hope to get the same message! When did your car arrive there?
Old 05-04-2021, 08:37 PM
westsiderkg
Racer

Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts

Where are you guys seeing allocations for C4s's in the northeast?

Very disappointing here in PA. Went to both dealers, each said expect a 2023...but wouldn't really even commit to that.

Is it really that bad, or are they just padding themselves?

What are other C4s allocaters seeing in terms of wait time to atlease secure a spot to start building?

Thanks...😊

Old 05-04-2021, 08:55 PM
westcoastj
Pro

Received 288 Likes on 172 Posts

So I reached out to a couple of other dealerships and while they won't give me a firm commitment, they seem confident that they can get me an allocation sooner that what I was quoted by the first dealer. However, because the first dealer already put in a demand order, they're telling me Porsche doesn't like it when a customer creates more than one order. Second dealership (which is a premier dealership) will only create an order for me if I cancel with the first one. Third dealership (smaller dealership), says they will keep my name on the list without creating order and will call me once they confirm an allocation is available. The small dealership seems quite motivated. They think allocations will start to be released later this month. If I'm lucky, I might get the car at end of the year before our federal government implements a luxury car tax on top of my provincial luxury car tax...

Last edited by westcoastj; 05-04-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-04-2021, 09:05 PM
sportmode
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedster
Glad for you! My C2S is also at Emden, since 4/26. I hope to get the same message! When did your car arrive there?
My car got to Emden on 4/22. The Rcc Classic departs on 5/7 and is headed for Baltimore. Where is your entry port in USA?

Quick Reply: Official waiting room for those with a new 992 on order --- come on in !!