992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 08:28 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,506 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Coming from a guy that posted over 250X since Xmas in the "ADM Thread" about how "other" people should spend their money is pretty rich.
Are you really this tone-deaf???
People have and express different opinions about cars, driving, value, etc. I don't get angry and engage in personal attacks when people have different opinions than mine. You OTOH are full of anger to an unhealthy degree towards people you disagree with.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:36 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patton250
To clear the record, I’m not upset at all. I was merely sharing my experience, calling dozens upon dozens upon dozens of Porsche dealers all throughout the United States just trying to get a plain old turbo S at MSRP, which proved to be impossible. The GT cars are considerably harder. Most dealers wouldn’t even let me talk to them about GT cars and some turbo cars even paying double than MSRP. They were selling those with significant ADMs to their loyal customer base. So please forgive me that I have a very difficult time believing there are very many people out there aside aside from you and some others here that get these cars at MSRP. I realize relationship is everything. I am in sales myself. I have some wonderful clients. However if I had a competitor that undercut me by 50% I’m sure I would lose all my clients. How would it be any different for dealership to lose $200,000 on a “relationship”? Outside of you I’m just not buying it. Money is money and businesses business. But either way I’m not mad about it. I would say there were a few times I got pretty frustrated while making those phone calls though. Lol. I most definitely got a little frustrated with the situation, but never once mad at a dealer for getting market value for their product. It’s capitalism. It’s normal. Anything short of that is a type of abuse of business that in most cases is illegal, but in all cases is immoral. I suspect most of you wouldn’t be angry with eBay or a car auction, right? Why is that any different than a dealership getting every penny they can for every product they have? I also doubt I would ever see anyone complain if economy dictates these guys having to discount these GT and turbo cars, right? I imagine that will happen once again in the not too distant future the way country is going. When that does happen, I will be interested to see if anyone complains about it.
I wasn't referring to you. I don't like the game either, and would prefer that we can all walk into a dealer and order whatever car we want at MSRP or lower. Demand far outstripping supply has screwed things up, at least for a while.

I think some dealers have the business model that they'll offer MSRP allocations to their volume customers who will trade-in the cars to them, and preferably also service the cars with them. I think it makes business sense, though obviously it pisses off the customers who aren't volume customers. I myself bought cars from my dealer from 2011 to 2016, and was near the top of the list to get stuff, but then I didn't start buying stuff again until late last year, so I had dropped down the list, and I had to buy a few cars to get back near the top of the list. Fortunately, I actually wanted to buy those cars, so it worked out for me.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:41 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,288 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
People have and express different opinions about cars, driving, value, etc. I don't get angry and engage in personal attacks when people have different opinions than mine. You OTOH are full of anger to an unhealthy degree towards people you disagree with.
I'm not angry.
But reading your constant self-centered "Look At Me" drivel here is tiring.

You're the guy that has repeatedly been looking for a Recession, a collapse in the stock market, and the ADM disappearing for an ENTIRE YEAR.
Same with that guy who claims to have gone to USC.
You've BOTH been totally wrong for an entire year.

If you actually had "skin" in the game you'd be Bankrupt by now.
That's not me being angry. That's me being a realist.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-13-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:46 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

I'm not angry.
But I know when I smell a fraud.
And reading your constant "Look At Me" drivel here is tiring.

You're the guy that has repeatedly been looking for a Recession, a collapse in the stock market, and the ADM disappearing for an ENTIRE YEAR.
You've been totally wrong,
Your sense of smell is off. No fraud here, but telling that you think I'm a fraud.

Yes, I've been wrong on the timing of a recession. No one has a crystal ball. And hopefully no one around here thinks that anyone else has a crystal ball and is relying on their opinions and predictions. It's all just talk on RL, this isn't generally a place where professional advice is being offered.

I have some long equities positions, some bonds, a lot of cash, equity in real estate and my business. I don't short anything, and will make some investments during the next decline.

Last edited by Manifold; 06-13-2023 at 08:48 PM.
Old 06-13-2023, 08:58 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

It's all just talk on RL, this isn't generally a place where professional advice is being offered.
Except when it comes to getting cars at MSRP by people that never graduated from USC.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:38 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 1,224 Likes on 480 Posts

Yikes this has gone south. I am still trying to understand why brokers exist and why they are controlling an ever increasing share of the GT allocations.

also, people are right that folks like myself who get cars at MSRP have indeed paid ADMs over the years thru big hits on trade in on Cayennes, Panameras, Macans, heck even 911s the past 10 years until Covid. But we were not losing anything more than anyone else on trades, because back then depreciation was the norm on cars. It’s only been recently that cars have held value to such extremes. When friends want to get a GT car but have no history with Porsche and are therefore hit with a large ADM, I am honest and tell them yes it sucks, but I lost that much on a new 991.1 Turbo simply driving it off the lot years ago, so it’s all relative.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (06-18-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 09:41 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

My car arrives on the 23rd of June and was offered $150,000 over from a broker and decided to pass. Rather enjoy it
Old 06-13-2023, 09:54 PM
Rod27
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
My car arrives on the 23rd of June and was offered $150,000 over from a broker and decided to pass. Rather enjoy it
how did the broker find you? Guaranteed he had a buyer lined up for at least $50k more.
Old 06-13-2023, 09:59 PM
RaceDevelopementCenter
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Rod27
how did the broker find you? Guaranteed he had a buyer lined up for at least $50k more.
A friend mentioned I had an inbound car. Some dealers in our area are asking north of that for future allocations. It's bad in our area
Old 06-13-2023, 10:08 PM
Rod27
Burning Brakes

Received 223 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDevelopementCenter
A friend mentioned I had an inbound car. Some dealers in our area are asking north of that for future allocations. It's bad in our area
boat brokers are worse, especially with certain brands that have a 3-4 year waiting list. My previous boat was around $650k from the factory (the price 3 years ago) and a certain broker was selling a newly built boat for asking $1.9 million.
Old 06-13-2023, 11:44 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,085 Likes on 2,335 Posts

To be fair, not everyone is in a position or desires to buy a lot of cars, so they can't build that kind of relationship.

Regarding jealousy, we can all see that people's wealth varies by orders of magnitude, and I know that my net worth is a rounding error for some people. Instead of feeling bad and jealous about that, I'm thankful for what I do have and I know that I'm much better off than most people. Ultimately, our lives are a series of experiences until we die, and money and stuff are just vehicles to have experiences. We are not defined by our money or stuff, or at least we shouldn't allow ourselves to be.
It's true that most people won't be buying cars as often as you or I but as PTS mentioned it's more than just buying/trading in cars. It's also about having gotten a relationship established before these ADMs went nuts and being a local customers who is easy to deal with and shows that they loyal to the dealership and the brand. No way I would have been able to establish a relationship with my dealer today, it took a big 3-car transaction years ago to me to get my foot in the door so I do consider myself to be fortunate in that respect. I would service my cars with my dealership and attend their event if I lived within driving distance of their location.
The following users liked this post:
Manifold (06-14-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 11:53 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,085 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Except when it comes to getting cars at MSRP by people that never graduated from USC.
I'll just leave this here for you but let me know if you want me to keep going.

Old 06-14-2023, 12:05 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 591 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3

I love when threads take these kind of turns.

I used to troll the hell out of Soulsea on other forums since he always like to be the resident pompous bully on most boards he was on. As soon as he became too soft for the actual inconvenient truths to put him in his place he was the first to run to forum mods or admin to bit3h.

I never went to college or any higher education for that matter, but I always appreciated when folks like to put their diplomas on display to remind themselves of the insane amounts of debt they took on for the glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel in hopes of success.

Which reminds me, I'd like to thank all the members of this forum for paying their homeowners insurance premiums every year!

Back to topic.....

Last edited by Justaroofer; 06-14-2023 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 12:17 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
I love when threads take these kind of turns.

I never went to college or any higher education for that matter, but I always appreciated when folks like to put their diplomas on display to remind themselves of the insane amounts of debt they took on for the glimmer of light at the end.....
Yup.

And he's been calling for a Recession, a collapse in the stockmarket, and ADM's disappearing for all of this year and most of last year too.

Doesnt sound like all that money spent on an MBA did him any good. He's been like a broken clock.

Old 06-14-2023, 12:18 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3

I'm pretty sure there's only one person in all of RL who doesn't believe the things you say. Because he doesn't want to believe.

Quick Reply: GT3RS Allocation Thread