Sponsored by:

GT3RS Allocation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 02:42 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by disden
My 992 GT3 is 1 year old now, have taken it to Barber several times. It is really shocking how the new front suspension changes the character of the car at speed; at Barber it is more evident due to the undulating nature of the circuit. The GT3 is almost now too easy to drive at the limit! I have said that almost anyone can now get in that car and think they are a great driver because it is so accessible, so stable at speed unlike prior GT cars.
10000%!! First time I drove my buddy's 992 on track I got my PR (vs in my RS) not even trying to push it. The biggest difference is the front end and how stable it turns in at tight and high speed corners. That double wishbone is something else. But I agree it's almost TOO easy, too calm... I thought my RS is video game but 992 is easily on another level.
The following 2 users liked this post by driIve:
Diablo Dude (10-28-2022), WCGhost (10-25-2022)
Old 10-20-2022, 02:45 PM
driIve
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
I had a similar experience when comparing a 991.2 GT3 with my 991.1 GT3. The .2 was much easier to drive and faster, but the .1 seemed more raw and fun.
I think a lot of that "raw-ness" is from the early PDK-S and not necessarily the engine or suspension differences. Tons of noises, rattles and vibration especially at low gear when I first had mine I took it back to the dealer swearing the car is "broken" lol.
The following users liked this post:
Ukkid74 (10-20-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 11:20 AM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 656 Likes on 304 Posts

Nov 22nd / US drop
The following 2 users liked this post by Ukkid74:
subshooter (10-22-2022), User 81423 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 09:25 AM
Odin
Racer

Received 474 Likes on 196 Posts
Default Second thoughts

After seeing the launch, I immediately asked my dealer to sign me up for an allocation and it’s currently in level 1 in MyPorsche as for everybody else I guess.

Then the YouTube videos surfaced and I was beginning to have second thoughts. I like to use my toy cars on track, but also on the occasional weekend getaway with my wife, and if optioned with a roll cage, that’s not going to happen with the GT3RS as there’s no room for our 2 bags. If I want to go to a track day event, there’s also no room for my gear, helmet and my bag of luggage. Then I’d be forced to trailer the GT3RS with my Cayenne to get the kit needed with me, even if it’s to the nearest track 3 hrs away, as I’d like to spend the night at the hotel with the other participants attending.

It’s a technological tour de force, and for sure much more capable and faster on track than my GT4RS, but it’s too limited. If my order goes through, I think I’ll just flip it and keep the GT4RS which btw I also think is the more fun car as I like it more old school and the GT3RS no way in hell will sound as good on the inside as the GT4RS.

@viola_gt4rs
PorschDuck (03-11-2024)
Old 10-23-2022, 10:39 AM
thuggo
Burning Brakes

Received 433 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Odin
After seeing the launch, I immediately asked my dealer to sign me up for an allocation and it’s currently in level 1 in MyPorsche as for everybody else I guess.

Then the YouTube videos surfaced and I was beginning to have second thoughts. I like to use my toy cars on track, but also on the occasional weekend getaway with my wife, and if optioned with a roll cage, that’s not going to happen with the GT3RS as there’s no room for our 2 bags. If I want to go to a track day event, there’s also no room for my gear, helmet and my bag of luggage. Then I’d be forced to trailer the GT3RS with my Cayenne to get the kit needed with me, even if it’s to the nearest track 3 hrs away, as I’d like to spend the night at the hotel with the other participants attending.

It’s a technological tour de force, and for sure much more capable and faster on track than my GT4RS, but it’s too limited. If my order goes through, I think I’ll just flip it and keep the GT4RS which btw I also think is the more fun car as I like it more old school and the GT3RS no way in hell will sound as good on the inside as the GT4RS.

@viola_gt4rs
Hopefully you don't get it if you are just going to be a flipper.
The following 8 users liked this post by thuggo:
85Gold (10-26-2022), GT3NY (10-23-2022), maroli (10-25-2022), Mdiesel64 (10-24-2022), neoprufrok (10-23-2022), obbob (10-27-2022), Rod27 (10-23-2022), WCGhost (10-25-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-26-2022, 08:41 AM
Engeljizzle
Pro

Received 125 Likes on 54 Posts

@viola_gt4rs
Don't bring your wife, simple. Also, don't flip it.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:40 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 4,382 Likes on 2,493 Posts

If the GT3RS is not the car for you, don’t buy it.

The car is meant for track use by skilled drivers who have a big budget. It’s way too much track car for someone learning to drive (buy a base Cayman with regular street tires for that purpose), and makes no sense as a street car.
Old 10-26-2022, 01:38 PM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

@Odin I thought about that as well (lack of frunk). I also have rollbar/harness bar in back of my GT3 and it would be a bit tight back there. I also go to tracks that are 3+ hours away. But I figure I could put some stuff in the back (squeeze through harness bar) and a fair amount in passenger seat. I will have to "check out" to be sure but what sucks is that apparently in the US you can't get a car with a harness/roll bar as part of the order of the car. Some sort of US restriction (dumb that they won't let you buy it with the car yet you can put it in yourself afterward).
Old 10-26-2022, 02:29 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by srwhitman
@Odin I thought about that as well (lack of frunk). I also have rollbar/harness bar in back of my GT3 and it would be a bit tight back there. I also go to tracks that are 3+ hours away. But I figure I could put some stuff in the back (squeeze through harness bar) and a fair amount in passenger seat. I will have to "check out" to be sure but what sucks is that apparently in the US you can't get a car with a harness/roll bar as part of the order of the car. Some sort of US restriction (dumb that they won't let you buy it with the car yet you can put it in yourself afterward).
It is dumb. BMW solved it with the pool noodle, Porsche won't.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:08 PM
Odin
Racer

Originally Posted by Manifold
If the GT3RS is not the car for you, don’t buy it.

The car is meant for track use by skilled drivers who have a big budget. It’s way too much track car for someone learning to drive (buy a base Cayman with regular street tires for that purpose), and makes no sense as a street car.

I’m guessing I won’t. I’ve been tracking Porsches since 2014 and have 2 capable cars for the purpose. GT4RS and a tricked out 964.

I’ve owned a tricked out 996.2 GT3 CS and know the GT3RS’s have mostly been for track use, but this 992 GT3RS is just too uncompromised track only for my liking. I need a car to be able to take me to be able to take me to the tracks and the occasional weekend getaway. The GT4RS does that brilliantly and is more than enough of a track car for me.
Old 10-26-2022, 05:36 PM
J9277655
Rennlist Member

Received 326 Likes on 105 Posts

I'm fortunate to have three tracks within three hours of the SF Bay. Definitely not going to be the most comfortable solution, but for those committed i think you can still make some behind-the-cage storage work if you had to/ willing to.

The following 4 users liked this post by J9277655:
Chris C. (11-02-2022), Freddie Two Bs (10-28-2022), KONG991TT (10-27-2022), PorschDuck (03-11-2024)
Old 10-26-2022, 05:49 PM
yesyoucan
Racer

Received 216 Likes on 90 Posts

@viola_gt4rs

My last track day

The following 2 users liked this post by yesyoucan:
Freddie Two Bs (10-28-2022), TNturboS (10-27-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 06:44 PM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 250 Likes on 108 Posts

This is my kinda RS WP owner. The front floor-board, front seat (with towel or cover) and behind the cage offer MORE than enough room for all one's crap for a track day. I have a 32ft gooseneck for tracks further away, but I often just drive the track for a day, or two at my local club tracks (< 2hrs). If I'm feeling race-y, and want to hurt some feelings, I have one of my buds bring up my 19" wheels with Pirelli scrubs for me to use, or store them in a garage at the track for use. Where there's a will, there's a way. Lack of frunk has ZERO effect on my thoughts about this car. The want is so strong!

Originally Posted by J9277655
I'm fortunate to have three tracks within three hours of the SF Bay. Definitely not going to be the most comfortable solution, but for those committed i think you can still make some behind-the-cage storage work if you had to/ willing to.

J9277655 (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 04:46 AM
Odin
Racer

Originally Posted by yesyoucan

My last track day
Mostly I’m having passengers with me on trips.
Old 10-28-2022, 02:05 PM
ky1e
Advanced

Received 103 Likes on 31 Posts

Allocation complete, spec submitted and build/delivery date secured (Feb '23), but as stated earlier it is not thru a dealer and is through PMNA.
#GoRacing
fijibubba (10-28-2022)

Quick Reply: GT3RS Allocation Thread