Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 02:32 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
The GT4RS is the Porsche equivalent of the 458 Speciale.

After tracking it, I'd rather track the GT4RS than the GT3. It's so loud. It's the loudest Porsche outside of the CGT in terms of interior 'noise'- which to me is a feature, not a bug.

I REALLY want to figure out how to get something besides gray or red on the seats of the Spyder RS as I do think that will be the best car to enjoy nice weather in, and I would not be scared to track it. The roof will never go up on mine, it looks like such a hassle that I'll probably just keep it folded away forever.
CXX for the win lol. With your status within PCNA, dude you can order ANYTHING you want. Sonderwunsch program.

We are very spoiled to have

Sport Classic
GT3/Touring
GT3RS
GT4RS
Dakar
Spyder RS
S/T
GTS
Turbo S

These are all really great cars even if we have different opinions of 'which is the best' or 'best daily' or 'best mountain road car' or 'best road trip car'

My top 3 would be the Dakar, the Sport Classic and the Spyder RS (since I like the GT4RS so much but want an open top).

The S/T might knock one of those out but won't knock the Dakar as I still think it's amazing. I got to drive it around on a motorcross track and had so much fun. Where I live, it's really usable with the farmland /fire roads / construction sites I have access to.
And yes I would rank the Dakar up there too but mine isn't getting built until Oct. You lucky bastard getting to drive it all over!

Old 08-10-2023, 02:39 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
It's funny you say that, but I know of quite a few people (first hand and indirectly) that say the GT4RS is the first car they would get rid of in their stable. It is really not all that.
I am a PORSCHE fan, not a 911 fan.

I was the first one to broke the new about an incoming GT4RS here. 5 years ago. Been waiting for this car since it is shown to me at Weissach. It did not disappoint. It is EVERYTHING I had wished for and wanted for in a Porsche, that includes the 918. Actually it delivered more.

It is an RS, but it's more tuned for 'street' than the track, even when it will destroy 99% of anything else on track in capable hands. I mean I know I can do faster lap times in a 992 GT3 than in a GT4RS but I don't even care, the GT4RS gives me much better feel in mountain passes than anything else, even over a 918.

The following 3 users liked this post by Whoopsy:
bobsleigh (08-10-2023), Drifting (08-10-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 02:42 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cosmos
I do too. All that I spoke with have said the same things. The suspension is too stiff, it’s a terrible daily and the car feels like a parts bin car.
Oh boy, those people have never live with a GT2RS on the street.

I have. With buckets.

While the GT4RS is 'stiff' still for the street, it is infinitely more livable especially with sofa seats which I have on mine.

Old 08-10-2023, 02:45 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt
Interesting. I have a friend (the only person I know personally) that is a VIP and he still says it is the 911R that he would keep.

The was the very first car after I got rid of from the 918 VIP program after I have gotten in........

I kept my 991 GT3RS longer than I kept my 911R.

I might have kept it longer but the weakness of the manual gearbox vs a PDK means it has to be the first to go.

I can drive manuals. I have older Porsches that are manual, but they are period correct with the manual, just like if I were to buy a 60s car I would expect them to have carburetors, not that I prefer carburetors. Same thing with manuals.

Last edited by Whoopsy; 08-10-2023 at 02:55 AM.
Old 08-10-2023, 03:14 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,704 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
Oh boy, those people have never live with a GT2RS on the street.

I have. With buckets.

While the GT4RS is 'stiff' still for the street, it is infinitely more livable especially with sofa seats which I have on mine.
I think most ppl needs to work out more their hamstring and glute.
other than my 996/997 cup car (which I drove on street too ;-)..... I have yet to drive a GT3 thats too stiff to daily... and I drive in and out of pothole ridden 880 and SF downtown.

The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-11-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 03:15 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,704 Likes on 2,342 Posts

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
I am a PORSCHE fan, not a 911 fan.

I was the first one to broke the new about an incoming GT4RS here. 5 years ago. Been waiting for this car since it is shown to me at Weissach. It did not disappoint. It is EVERYTHING I had wished for and wanted for in a Porsche, that includes the 918. Actually it delivered more.

It is an RS, but it's more tuned for 'street' than the track, even when it will destroy 99% of anything else on track in capable hands. I mean I know I can do faster lap times in a 992 GT3 than in a GT4RS but I don't even care, the GT4RS gives me much better feel in mountain passes than anything else, even over a 918.
it Is frisky and the the SOUND was full throttle !!!
Old 08-10-2023, 03:34 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,275 Likes on 612 Posts

for me, like Whoopsy- the GT4RS is the car I've always wanted them to make. the raucous chainsaw noises from the engine are not present in any of their current 911's because of the firewalls. It's ludicrous.

the spyder should be even more ludicrous.
The following 3 users liked this post by C.J. Ichiban:
AlexCeres (08-11-2023), bobsleigh (08-10-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 03:50 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Watching this being unveiled and watched every single video on YouTube.

Couple of interesting things about this in standard specs - a) throttle blip button (like GT4/GT3) is not seen in videos / pics etc but spec says it is there (see attached). b) comes with power steering plus.. hmm. I hate it whenever I drive it (drove in 992 GTS and 991.1 S) and it comes standard..perhaps goes well with extra light clutch and single mass fly wheel set up driving experience??

Old 08-10-2023, 03:54 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3Laguna
I understand the powers that be at Porsche didn't say "we need to capture some of that Singer marketshare. Let's build a Porsche 911 ST." But come on, you don't think that crossed their minds? Porsche's 992 answer to Singer, sorta kinda. More retro, less weight, less complex (no rear wheel steer), more heritage, more road focused, more exclusive, MORE expensive. People probably aren't directly cross shopping, but . . .

It is interesting and a little funny to see how sensitive people get when discussing cars like this. No, like everyone else, I've never driven one. And probably never will. But my strong suspicion is, if I did, I'd prefer the daily + track driving experience (and options) of my 992 Touring. For what I want in a car. No shade at the ST. I have no doubt it will be a spectacular car. But I didn't read/see anything where I said, "Oh damn, that would be cool to have that!" It will be a step from the GT3. Just not necessarily a step up in driving experience. At least from what I can see. It will be interesting to see what people who drive both have to say.
single mass fly wheel..is a step up..imo. of course reviews pending...
The following users liked this post:
GT3Laguna (08-10-2023)
Old 08-10-2023, 04:05 AM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,738 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Watching this being unveiled and watched every single video on YouTube.

Couple of interesting things about this in standard specs - a) throttle blip button (like GT4/GT3) is not seen in videos / pics etc but spec says it is there (see attached). b) comes with power steering plus.. hmm. I hate it whenever I drive it (drove in 992 GTS and 991.1 S) and it comes standard..perhaps goes well with extra light clutch and single mass fly wheel set up driving experience??

Power Steering Plus is listed in standard equipment for my incoming GT3 order. It was not a selectable option like the C2S.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:15 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

That’s interesting …
Old 08-10-2023, 04:18 AM
jez_991S
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

The throttle blip button might not be there but I saw it on the S/T menu screen in one of the videos, just like there is no wheel on the steering wheel but there are modes available.
Old 08-10-2023, 06:02 AM
jez_991S
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmos
I do too. All that I spoke with have said the same things. The suspension is too stiff, it’s a terrible daily and the car feels like a parts bin car.
Shock horror, the most hardcore cayman made doesn’t make a great daily. To me, it would be a fail if it did make a great daily.

What makes it feel like a parts bin special? Given it’s a derivative like many others within the range it has more unique parts than almost any other.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:14 AM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The comments about the gt4rs, both negative and positive, have been said about the 996 GT3, which is my favorite 911 but would never drive daily. Such hot-rod cars are to be sipped on special 30-60min sweaty-palms runs like a good single malt scotch. It looks like the Spyder RS will be like like a child between 996 GT3 and Boxster, my two favorite Porsches.
Old 08-10-2023, 07:31 AM
bobsleigh
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Manifold
That explains not liking the negative comments about the car/price, and wrongly assuming that everyone making those comments can't get the car. I guess it happens every time a 'special' Porsche comes out.

FWIW, I told my dealer I don't want the ST, but get me an SRS.
i did exactly the same thing / can’t wait for the SRS (early next year hopefully)

Quick Reply: 911ST