Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911ST

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023 | 02:16 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Manifold
That explains not liking the negative comments about the car/price, and wrongly assuming that everyone making those comments can't get the car. I guess it happens every time a 'special' Porsche comes out.

FWIW, I told my dealer I don't want the ST, but get me an SRS.
I'm unlikely to get one. I just find it interesting how much energy some of the folks in here are using to make sure people agree the car is overpriced, or over-marketed, or won't be special. When we all know it will.

If I don't like a car or can't get a car, I don't feel the need to enter the thread and consistently bash it to make myself feel better about the fact that I can't get one
The following 4 users liked this post by PTS:
AlexCeres (08-08-2023), green///hell (08-08-2023), kyrocks (08-09-2023), Yc911Kid (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:23 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I told my dealer I don't want the ST ...
Speaking of rejecting things that were never offered ...

I told the lottery I didn't want to win it, and that's why I didn't.
The following 6 users liked this post by soulsea:
993RR (08-08-2023), GT3ml (08-11-2023), JAhmed (08-08-2023), Jbravo23 (08-08-2023), PTS (08-08-2023), Wilder (08-08-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:25 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Originally Posted by PTS
If I don't like a car or can't get a car, I don't feel the need to enter the thread and consistently bash it to make myself feel better about the fact that I can't get one
Spot on.
The web-traffic would collapse on RL if people actually adhered to your ethos.
As it is, there really isnt any "technical" discussion whatsoever. Maybe 5% of all threads.

The following 3 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
kyrocks (08-09-2023), PTS (08-08-2023), Wilder (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:27 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

View this post on Instagram
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:31 PM
DontLift
Advanced

I'm fortunate to have so many cars that stir my soul. Its all in the Driving - not the specs. My R - more than the sum of its parts. Picking her up in Germany - driving on the autobahn, to and on the Ring - in traffic with no AC or Radio - just like my Carrera GTs and 57 Speedster etc. I know (subjectively) the S/T will deliver the same emotions and feelings - Parsing weight and cost etc isn't the point -- THERE IS MAGIC IN WEISSACH that pulls all the bits together every once in a while and make them special - NOT IN. A SPREADSHEET but in the seat of your pants.
Qualitative is why I buy and drive Porsche - always have and always will.

Now, what paint do I get.....?
The following 4 users liked this post by DontLift:
kyrocks (08-09-2023), Manifold (08-08-2023), Wilder (08-08-2023), Yc911Kid (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:31 PM
993RR
Burning Brakes

Entertaining thread, really good contributions from some, a lot of white noise too.

As the most expensive 911 ever, has a lot to live up to.
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:36 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTS
This thread continues to entertain.

"I can't get the new toy so I'll sh*t on it instead"
Been reading this thread regularly, and I couldn't agree more with your statement. Gave me a chuckle, thank you.

I'm 53 years old and have been an absolute diehard Porsche fan since my uncle took me to visit the local Porsche dealer in Victoria BC in spring of 1983. I'm currently on my 6th 911 and am on a list for my first NEW 911. The S/T is, to me, just a dream and I'm fine with that. I find it intriguing how the "fringe" models (GT cars) have become the staple in the last 10-15 years. Porsche is making 1963 examples of the S/T, or very similar to the entire run of 996.1 GT3s.

What frustrates me as someone who wants to own some of these cars is that they are now more often than not being bought as commodities and treated as fragile pieces. Think Ferrari in the early 2000s. A slightly "dog eared" used 911 is far more interesting to me than an unused museum piece. MY escape is to throw a bag in the car and go for a road trip to explore squiggly parts of the map. A job that a 911, be it an air-cooled base model or this "latest and greatest" S/T is fully capable of completing.

Last edited by timothymoffat; 08-08-2023 at 02:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NS369 (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:40 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by PTS
I'm unlikely to get one. I just find it interesting how much energy some of the folks in here are using to make sure people agree the car is overpriced, or over-marketed, or won't be special. When we all know it will.

It's a Porsche discussion forum. Talking about the the company, the brand, the cars, what we like and don't like, etc. is what we do here. Opinions will be expressed, sometimes passionately, and we don't have to agree and reach any consensus.

But I agree, it will be a good car. The Porsche GT division doesn't screw up their cars, they know what they're doing. All of the GT cars could be called 'special'.

My bashing is only about the price and the marketing of the car, but I think I'm done bashing, got it out of my system. Carry on ...
Grunspan (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 02:53 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Technically, this is supposed to be a TECHNICAL DISCUSSION AREA.
But I've learned that that might be a misnomer.

Old 08-08-2023 | 03:22 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Technically, this is supposed to be a TECHNICAL DISCUSSION AREA.
But I've learned that that might be a misnomer.
lol, I never really noticed that until you pointed it out. I think you're right, it's mostly a misnomer.
Diablo Dude (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 03:35 PM
darylbowden
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by timothymoffat

What frustrates me as someone who wants to own some of these cars is that they are now more often than not being bought as commodities and treated as fragile pieces. Think Ferrari in the early 2000s. A slightly "dog eared" used 911 is far more interesting to me than an unused museum piece. MY escape is to throw a bag in the car and go for a road trip to explore squiggly parts of the map. A job that a 911, be it an air-cooled base model or this "latest and greatest" S/T is fully capable of completing.
Couldn't agree more. The reality is 1963 examples is not at all a low number. So, yes it's "rare" compared to a GT3, but compared to tons of models released in the last 25 years, it isn't rare at all. And the folks that do buy them? Maybe 5% will actually drive them. Even if they aren't keeping them for investment purposes solely, the kind of buyer who will get an allocation has a large collection and that just means it won't get tons of use. And to get the same experience in a GT3 touring is laughably easy (let's not pretend the engine are very different at all), so it's not really about the car itself, or the way it drives. It's about having the thing that everybody else wants.

If it weren't "limited," nobody would care at all. This is the part that sucks - Porsche used to be the brand of cars that can do 150k miles standing on their head and the owners WANTED to do that and they kept them for decades. Nowadays it's about showing off at C&C, PPF and flipping the cars every couple years to get the latest and greatest. Obviously there are still some great owners here and RL will always over index on enthusiasts compared to gen pop. I understand why this is good for Porsche themselves, but my god the ownership community really sucks compared to even 10 years ago. It's a formula that works for the bottom line, so I wouldn't expect any changes, but everything we used to laugh at Ferrari owners for being is now what the new Porsche owner is.
The following 3 users liked this post by darylbowden:
atlrvr (08-09-2023), newalbanyohio (08-08-2023), timothymoffat (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 04:17 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

It's a Porsche discussion forum. Talking about the the company, the brand, the cars, what we like and don't like, etc. is what we do here. Opinions will be expressed, sometimes passionately, and we don't have to agree and reach any consensus.

But I agree, it will be a good car. The Porsche GT division doesn't screw up their cars, they know what they're doing. All of the GT cars could be called 'special'.

My bashing is only about the price and the marketing of the car, but I think I'm done bashing, got it out of my system. Carry on ...
I'm not speaking to those who came in here and simply voiced their opinion. I'm speaking to those who have double digit posts in this thread and every post continues to beat a dead horse to the theme of this car makes no sense, is overpriced, overmarketed, less for more money, etc. It's a lot of time and energy to make sure everyone knows they don't like the car, even though it's 95%+ the same as the one in their garage or the one they wish was in their garage.

Carry on, indeed
Wilder (08-09-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 05:05 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DontLift
I'm fortunate to have so many cars that stir my soul. Its all in the Driving - not the specs. My R - more than the sum of its parts. Picking her up in Germany - driving on the autobahn, to and on the Ring - in traffic with no AC or Radio - just like my Carrera GTs and 57 Speedster etc. I know (subjectively) the S/T will deliver the same emotions and feelings - Parsing weight and cost etc isn't the point -- THERE IS MAGIC IN WEISSACH that pulls all the bits together every once in a while and make them special - NOT IN. A SPREADSHEET but in the seat of your pants.
Qualitative is why I buy and drive Porsche - always have and always will.

Now, what paint do I get.....?
have you thought that some people are less fortunate and don't have the means to buy everything they want , so this is why they analyze, read, research etc so they can make the best decision they can as they can't afford to lose big sums of money on a bad decision and replace a car adlib if it did not stir their soul.
Old 08-08-2023 | 05:19 PM
goin2drt
Banned

Originally Posted by soulsea
Speaking of rejecting things that were never offered ...

I told the lottery I didn't want to win it, and that's why I didn't.
If I won the lotto I would start calling every dealer to see who will get me an allocation to build my own. I would bribe the crap out of any owner willing to take it. This ticks all my boxes and I would drive the ever loving **** out of it.

so instead I will lurk here and watch all the inbound C&C, bubble wrapped deliveries.
AlexCeres (08-08-2023)
Old 08-08-2023 | 07:47 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by goin2drt
If I won the lotto I would start calling every dealer to see who will get me an allocation to build my own. I would bribe the crap out of any owner willing to take it. This ticks all my boxes and I would drive the ever loving **** out of it.

so instead I will lurk here and watch all the inbound C&C, bubble wrapped deliveries.
lotto money is just find a broker who will put you in touch with a 918 vip of flexible morality. Done.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlexCeres:
Diablo Dude (08-09-2023), goin2drt (08-09-2023), whojoemama (08-10-2023)

Quick Reply: 911ST