Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(more) Lightweight Glass Drama

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 03:22 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 609 Likes on 282 Posts

I opened my car today in Florida and it was tight to open. The glass cracked. Drivers side door glass. Nothing big so just went straight to my dealer. I told him of light weight glass issues he said he would call the regional guy Monday. I ll let you know my findings.
matt

Old 06-19-2022, 07:04 PM
flyjets
Burning Brakes

Received 215 Likes on 131 Posts

Call it a joke if you want my buddy just sold his 992 GT3 after the 3rd window break.

1 front 1 side and the side rear.

Old 06-19-2022, 10:13 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by flyjets
Call it a joke if you want my buddy just sold his 992 GT3 after the 3rd window break.

that would be frustrating
Old 06-19-2022, 10:20 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 872 Posts

It always starts as a joke. I bet he wont be last.

Also the joke is on Porsche for still not issuing a recall with a permanent fix for this issue that has been going on for months now.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:26 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,392 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
IAlso the joke is on Porsche for still not issuing a recall with a permanent fix for this issue that has been going on for months now.
The bigger joke is that you have zero clue what a recall is in the automotive industry. Especially as it relates to Porsche.
Old 06-19-2022, 10:36 PM
User 81423
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
It always starts as a joke. I bet he wont be last.

Also the joke is on Porsche for still not issuing a recall with a permanent fix for this issue that has been going on for months now.
agreed
Old 06-19-2022, 11:31 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
The bigger joke is that you have zero clue what a recall is in the automotive industry. Especially as it relates to Porsche.
Got your kool-aid those for today I suppose?
Old 06-21-2022, 10:40 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,486 Likes on 955 Posts

This is the part I was talking about, Re: ruining the car buying experience with this crap. Folks get annoyed and they sell.
Old 06-21-2022, 11:57 PM
inastrangeland
Burning Brakes

Received 703 Likes on 352 Posts

I have put 15K miles on my car. My car was the first week of 2021 production and I have lightweight glass. Other than a rock in my windshield, the glass has been just fine. And it really does reduce road noise... But YMMV.

Last edited by inastrangeland; 06-22-2022 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:01 AM
horns
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 104 Posts

No issues with my glass so far. I hope it stays that way because the car is great. If the car becomes a headache, whether glass issue or something else, my dealer would love to take it back from me on trade (or just buy outright). I'm too busy enjoying the car to worry about potential headaches, and will deal with it if the time ever comes.
Old 06-22-2022, 12:33 AM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 83 Posts

Here's an anecdote for sake of "data" ...

I went out to the Sierras for a rally this month. On the way to the starting point, I found myself in some nasty highway conditions and was peppered with rocks for a couple miles from numerous trucks still pulling 80mph. I'd say my windshield went from "ok" to "horrible" and it will probably need to be replaced within the year. The next day, I drove 9 miles on one of the roughest roads I've ever seen in a hearty 110F. I couldn't go fast enough to maintain a healthy compliance (kept bottoming out above 20mph) so I had to go slow down to 20 and really let every bump wreck me and the car. This road put the car on 2 wheels consistently for ~45 minutes and I swear I could start to feel/hear the chassis flex by the end of it. The entire time my mind was concocting a stress bomb with these ingredients: 1) this thread 2) the recently peppered windshield and 3) the immense heat of the day. When I reached Murphys, the rear toe was noticeably out—shoutout to SP Motorsports for sorting it out this week—and, when I finally got to Sonora, I parked the car in similar heat overnight while also preparing myself to wake up to a cracked windshield. But nope. Nothing. Car is clearly "well loved" now, sitting at 7k miles and showing some road rash, but the glass remains intact.

TLDR: Windshield is still intact despite seriously heavy abuse in very high West Coast temps.
The following users liked this post:
Mercuriell (06-22-2022)
Old 06-22-2022, 12:41 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by Daft Chief
Here's an anecdote for sake of "data" ...

I went out to the Sierras for a rally this month. On the way to the starting point, I found myself in some nasty highway conditions and was peppered with rocks for a couple miles from numerous trucks still pulling 80mph. I'd say my windshield went from "ok" to "horrible" and it will probably need to be replaced within the year. The next day, I drove 9 miles on one of the roughest roads I've ever seen in a hearty 110F. I couldn't go fast enough to maintain a healthy compliance (kept bottoming out above 20mph) so I had to go slow down to 20 and really let every bump wreck me and the car. This road put the car on 2 wheels consistently for ~45 minutes and I swear I could start to feel/hear the chassis flex by the end of it. The entire time my mind was concocting a stress bomb with these ingredients: 1) this thread 2) the recently peppered windshield and 3) the immense heat of the day. When I reached Murphys, the rear toe was noticeably out—shoutout to SP Motorsports for sorting it out this week—and, when I finally got to Sonora, I parked the car in similar heat overnight while also preparing myself to wake up to a cracked windshield. But nope. Nothing. Car is clearly "well loved" now, sitting at 7k miles and showing some road rash, but the glass remains intact.

TLDR: Windshield is still intact despite seriously heavy abuse in very high West Coast temps.
just curious how did you know the rear toe was out? Carl
Old 06-22-2022, 05:42 PM
Daft Chief
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 83 Posts

I should rephrase because, although the symptoms were there, the root cause came later. At the time the car just felt really really off. Lots of (new) lateral movement over slow speed bumps. Lots of rear wiggle. I'm not actually sure if these were indications of bad toe but that's what we found when the car was on the setup pads. After a nut/bolt torque reset and setup, car feels fine again.
Old 07-27-2022, 07:33 AM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

As an update here, visited two different Porsche Centers on Monday and they both came negative in regards to passing the windshield cracks under warranty.
I even explained how i have everything documented in video (the driving on track, the crack of the windscreen while standing etc) but that didn't change anything.

Curious to see if/'when Porsche is going to come straight and assume responsibility or if they are just going to alter something in the manufacturing of the windscreens to be produced in order to stop the failures.
Old 07-31-2022, 04:24 PM
2022GT3
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Anyone know of an issue with the lightweight glass when storing the car in the CarCapsule or Showcase? The 12 volt computer fan that runs 24/7 does create enough pressure within the Showcase / Car Capsule to cause the roof and sides to bulge out. You can definitely feel the pressure within the Showcase when pressing in on the sides. Just wondering if the pressure would be enough to crack the glass?

Quick Reply: (more) Lightweight Glass Drama