Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(more) Lightweight Glass Drama

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 11:30 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 867 Posts

It's not about being able to do the pad swap, it's more about Porsche service not being supportive of it. I have gone to two different Porsche dealers and yes SA means Service Advisor. One flat out said it's not something they'll do and if there is ever a warranty claim regarding PCCB rotors or calipers or brake lines, it won't be covered (yes I know it's BS). The other said they'll not do the work and will be fine as long as the warranty repair isn't substantial (less BS but still BS).

I know how silly that sounds and yes there is Magnusson Moss act and etc etc. The point is, dealers aren't supportive of using parts on a car other than what the parts catalog states. Period. Some dealers might do this some might not. I wasn't stating that I have no way of doing this, I was simply sharing my experience that this isn't like changing floor mats of the car. When $10k rotors are involved, what pads you use on them might matter to some dealers. At the end of the day, the dealer's approach might make a warranty claim a major headache vs a seamless one (regardless of the outcome and other legal standings).

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 02-02-2022 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 11:45 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
It's not about being able to do the pad swap, it's more about Porsche service not being supportive of it. I have gone to two different Porsche dealers and yes SA means Service Advisor. One flat out said it's not something they'll do and if there is ever a warranty claim regarding PCCB rotors or calipers or brake lines, it won't be covered (yes I know it's BS). The other said they'll not do the work and will be fine as long as the warranty repair isn't substantial (less BS but still BS).

I know how silly that sounds and yes there is Magnusson Moss act and etc etc. The point is, dealers aren't supportive of using parts on a car other than what the parts catalog states. Period. Some dealers might do this some might not. I wasn't stating that I have no way of doing this, I was simply sharing my experience that this isn't like changing floor mats of the car. When $10k rotors are involved, what pads you use on them might matter to some dealers. At the end of the day, the dealer's approach might make a warranty claim a major headache vs a seamless one (regardless of the outcome and other legal standings).
I'm not sure the dealer makes the call on what the warranty covers. I believe they submit it to PAG/PCNA for approval. They are the ones that are backing up the warranty. The dealer is really just a repair shop that invoices them.

Sorry you aren't having much luck with your dealers. The OEM pads for PCCBs suck.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (04-01-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 12:20 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,776 Likes on 2,723 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals

Dealer cannot be supportive of a part that is illegal (at least in California) and the company has decided to comply across other jurisdictions…
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
AlexCeres (04-01-2022), jfr0317 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 12:43 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 867 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Dealer cannot be supportive of a part that is illegal (at least in California) and the company has decided to comply across other jurisdictions…
Yes and I dont disagree with them as I would do the same if I ran the dealership. Same reason as why they wont install a non lightweight glass anywhere on the car.
GrantG (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:37 PM
hmrut3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow. I must be lucky. No glass issues, not a single interior rattle or quality concern (actually better than my 2020 C2S), essentially no brake dust from the PCCBs and car arrived with 2 keys. At least no issues yet!?
The following 3 users liked this post by hmrut3:
bear2020 (10-23-2022), qball71 (03-18-2022), Todd C (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 08:28 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by hmrut3
Wow. I must be lucky. No glass issues, not a single interior rattle or quality concern (actually better than my 2020 C2S), essentially no brake dust from the PCCBs and car arrived with 2 keys. At least no issues yet!?
Have you driven it yet? Haha, just kidding. I’m hoping for a car like yours but if not I’m confident Porsche will stand behind and fix everything.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:00 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 197 Posts

I thought this was a lightweight glass thread . . .
The following 2 users liked this post by CarManDSL:
chance6 (02-03-2022), hooperwp (08-01-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 09:57 PM
hmrut3
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

You are correct. That is why I posted I have had no issues with my lightweight glass. Is a counterpoint allowed? Geez.
lockie (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 11:07 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

We must be lucky here is Austin. my service advisor is a rockstar. I've never had any problems with warranty or good will repairs across 3 gt cars. not once.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:07 AM
mdterranella
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
We must be lucky here is Austin. my service advisor is a rockstar. I've never had any problems with warranty or good will repairs across 3 gt cars. not once.
Can you share your rockstars name in Austin? My Carrera T rear glass cracked all the way across overnight while having PPF installed. I am a little worried that it won’t be covered under warranty.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:15 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 426 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
There is something rotten somewhere in the business driving these numerous quality issues. It's like some department within VW has lost its self esteem. Windows, Interior rattles, brake pads, now rotors, missing keys and manuals....
you mean the VW Diesel dept.?
Old 03-18-2022, 12:12 PM
mwar99
Three Wheelin'

Received 298 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
The Porsche lightweight glass is made by Corning, right? Gorilla Glass? Same stuff on our phones?

Our phones' glass doesn't shatter unless you drop it, and it has to be a significant drop or impact.

Wonder what's different about a vehicle application (versus mobile phone) of Gorilla Glass.
The glass on your phone is attached to a solid surface. That should provide more integrity. The "floating" glass of the windshield, etc. does not have any support other than at the edges. It won't have the the same integrity. I'm equating it to tiling a floor, if you don't lay the tile correctly with a good surface underneath the tiles can crack easily.
Old 03-18-2022, 02:48 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by mdterranella
Can you share your rockstars name in Austin? My Carrera T rear glass cracked all the way across overnight while having PPF installed. I am a little worried that it won’t be covered under warranty.
Jay
Old 03-18-2022, 07:38 PM
mdterranella
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2022, 09:52 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 277 Posts

Sorry you've had this experience OP, what is your build date please?

You know Porsche will make a running change to glass, vs repairing them at the dealers, at some point. Wonder if it's happened already... or maybe they can't get new glass supplied in time for MY 22???

Quick Reply: (more) Lightweight Glass Drama