Sponsored by:

(more) Lightweight Glass Drama

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 05:32 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,491 Likes on 958 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I am just curious what has to happen for Porsche to recall/issue stop sale. Given the use case for a GT3, its a matter of time before the front wind shield cracks and shatters and kills/injures the occupants during high speed driving. This lightweight glass issues started with the small triangle rear glasses, then was found on the larger door glass but now I believe this is the third front windshield cracking (at least the third incident that was posted which I read, maybe there are more). I would escalate this with the gov agency that tracks these types of complaints. I wouldnt treat the front windshield cracking as annoyance but more of a safety issue.
possible PCNA and our old buddies D.O.T.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:34 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by Drifting
Bummer. Unfortunate that Porsche choose marketing and losing an extra pound over a dependable durable glass they used for previous cars.
I think it's about 8 lbs., maybe a little more. This is not a robust design, let's be honest here. They market a GT3 as a car you can pound at the track, lap after lap. This bs lightweight 'glass' doesn't meet requirements at this point. It's a big stain on the mattress for this particular GT3 and needs to be recertified w/ normal glass.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:36 PM
chance6
Race Car

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I was actually thinking about the same thing that it isnt only a factor of thin glass but thin glass on a car that is very stiff/rigid. Glass probably starts fracturing while driving the car as chassis doesnt flex much and the cracks get worse with temperature fluctuation.
Yep, that could very well be what it is. Does the same bs happen with the Turbo S ?
Old 01-30-2022, 05:42 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,596 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
Yep, that could very well be what it is. Does the same bs happen with the Turbo S ?
I have not read any other instance of any glass cracking. I think the double wishbone plus the RS solid connections/springs dont make a good lightweight glass companion.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:44 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 556 Posts

it takes time to issue recall, they need to look at the overall issue and better solution before issuing a recall
for guys that had wind shield replaced, are you using the same OEM windshield ? I am assuming the answer is yes . Wondering can you chose 992 windshield from base cars . Does it fit ?
Old 01-30-2022, 05:56 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,856 Likes on 2,758 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
I’ve had 3+ hard track days at COTA bouncing over bumps and sausages, mine hasn’t broke (yet).
With windows down, I assume? I wondered if the low frequency buffeting (that happens at high speed with windows down) could also contribute to the cracking?
The following users liked this post:
anselmw (03-18-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 06:16 PM
Audioguy
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gpoulos
That’s what happened to my windshield last month. Climate controlled garage (detailers). No one touched the car. Spontaneous crack. When I came to look the guy said Another showed up by the time I got there. I noticed a 3rd that showed up between the last time they looked and my arrival.

When they changed the glass the installer commented that the cracked windshield glass looked like it had already been replaced once and wasn’t installed correctly. Likely at port?

It took almost 3 weeks to get a new windshield.

my cracks were on the INSIDE. You could feel them with your fingernails.

Sounds like identical circumstances. I noticed a new line has formed in the last couple hours as well. (Car still hasn't moved) I'll be reaching out to my dealer in the morning. Keep you all posted.

-Audio
subshooter (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 06:32 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 519 Posts

My TTS windows are still fine. I’ve been taking the car out on 30,degree days and then parking it in a heated garage with no issues,
Old 01-30-2022, 06:42 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,208 Likes on 4,945 Posts

The Porsche lightweight glass is made by Corning, right? Gorilla Glass? Same stuff on our phones?

Our phones' glass doesn't shatter unless you drop it, and it has to be a significant drop or impact.

Wonder what's different about a vehicle application (versus mobile phone) of Gorilla Glass.
Old 01-30-2022, 08:09 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
With windows down, I assume? I wondered if the low frequency buffeting (that happens at high speed with windows down) could also contribute to the cracking?
Yep, but I’m also launching into the air (multiple wheels off the ground) on some of the new “features” at COTA with the new asphalt. Would think that would be a good test for the glass.
The following 2 users liked this post by raymort:
Fixinbones (08-21-2022), GrantG (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 08:18 PM
Dr. G
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Yep, but I’m also launching into the air (multiple wheels off the ground) on some of the new “features” at COTA with the new asphalt. Would think that would be a good test for the glass.
Maybe they mounted your rear wing upside down
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. G:
BruceT (01-30-2022), HerrDr (05-16-2023), raymort (01-30-2022)
Old 01-30-2022, 08:37 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,249 Likes on 660 Posts

I think it's about 8 lbs., maybe a little more. This is not a robust design, let's be honest here. They market a GT3 as a car you can pound at the track, lap after lap. This bs lightweight 'glass' doesn't meet requirements at this point. It's a big stain on the mattress for this particular GT3 and needs to be recertified w/ normal glass.
I realize it is 8lbs not 1lb. My point is similar to yours though in that Porsche pushed the limits too far........like the 991.1 GT3 engine, LOL. Lightweight windows are a nice idea, but maybe they are now too lightweight.

As you said, the point of a GT3 is it supposed to be built solidly enough so that you can flog it all day long.
Old 01-30-2022, 09:47 PM
token
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine also cracked recently with less than 2k miles on the car. And it was in California, so not even winter temperatures.

Replacement part delivery still takes 3+ weeks, ugh.
Old 01-30-2022, 11:32 PM
Poupon McArr
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by token
Mine also cracked recently with less than 2k miles on the car. And it was in California, so not even winter temperatures.

Replacement part delivery still takes 3+ weeks, ugh.

I feel the frustration of the replacement part, but to you and others that have had this issue... Did the dealer give you any fuss about this? I'm assuming that normally windows wouldn't be their problem. Obviously this is ridiculous if they're spontaneously cracking, but I'm wondering if people have had a hard time with dealers about this.
Old 01-31-2022, 02:59 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by pitt911
it takes time to issue recall, they need to look at the overall issue and better solution before issuing a recall
for guys that had wind shield replaced, are you using the same OEM windshield ? I am assuming the answer is yes . Wondering can you chose 992 windshield from base cars . Does it fit ?
+1. Very interested to know if you could request replacement with regular glass?
chance6 (01-31-2022)

Quick Reply: (more) Lightweight Glass Drama