Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 10:50 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Probably the ZR1 which has turbochargers on it. I don't care what any of the nay sayers say......this car is awesome. It sounds great, fantastic value and the performance is incredible.

I've never owned an American car yet (I'm 55). This one is pretty cool.
Totally agree. I'm high on the list for a C8 Z06
Old 09-10-2021, 10:50 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Probably the ZR1 which has turbochargers on it. I don't care what any of the nay sayers say......this car is awesome. It sounds great, fantastic value and the performance is incredible.

I've never owned an American car yet (I'm 55). This one is pretty cool.
Those cars have the fixed rear wing and large front splitter, whereas it’s rumored that the ZR1 will have ‘active aero’, so I think we’re looking at Z06/7s and I agree they don’t sound at all like a high revving NA FPC engine. Sounds like a small(er) capacity TT-V8, at least to these ears.

I have often thought that GM would go the TT-V8 route on the car as historically each version of the Z06 has to be faster than the previous. With the C8 already weighing what it does and given how difficult and expensive it is to shed weight out of a car and still keep the options that the majority of prospective owners want, the only way to get the times out of the car is to have it develop some serious hp; like 700hp.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:19 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,132 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
I have often thought that GM would go the TT-V8 route on the car as historically each version of the Z06 has to be faster than the previous. With the C8 already weighing what it does and given how difficult and expensive it is to shed weight out of a car and still keep the options that the majority of prospective owners want, the only way to get the times out of the car is to have it develop some serious hp; like 700hp.
If the new Z06 has 5.5L and 9k rpm Normally Aspirated as reported, it would make 701 hp, if the specific output (HP per Liter) is the same as GT3...
Old 09-10-2021, 11:45 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

Those cars have the fixed rear wing and large front splitter, whereas it’s rumored that the ZR1 will have ‘active aero’, so I think we’re looking at Z06/7s and I agree they don’t sound at all like a high revving NA FPC engine. Sounds like a small(er) capacity TT-V8, at least to these ears.

calling it turbo was tongue in cheek I assume?, because it's so obviously an NA flat crank v8 ..
Old 09-10-2021, 01:17 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

After being burned by my previous C7 Z06 ownership on and off track, I switched to the ZL1/1LE. I will reserve my opinion on the C8 Z06 after a few years of watching it's reliability. After Ford's debacle with the Flat plane, I am not getting my hopes up.

Going on 3 years with this one, pounding the track to submission lap after lap. Paired with a honest to goodness 6 speed Manual. I can also carry a spare set of wheels/tires in the car to and from the track.

Happy as a clam.

Last edited by Checkmate; 09-10-2021 at 01:24 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Checkmate:
bkscott (09-12-2021), exit87 (09-11-2021), Ohio Performance (09-12-2021), thebishman (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 02:35 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
After being burned by my previous C7 Z06 ownership on and off track, I switched to the ZL1/1LE. I will reserve my opinion on the C8 Z06 after a few years of watching it's reliability. After Ford's debacle with the Flat plane, I am not getting my hopes up.

Going on 3 years with this one, pounding the track to submission lap after lap. Paired with a honest to goodness 6 speed Manual. I can also carry a spare set of wheels/tires in the car to and from the track.

Happy as a clam.

I see a lot of those at the track these days! Sounds like for good reason..
Old 09-11-2021, 04:14 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
calling it turbo was tongue in cheek I assume?, because it's so obviously an NA flat crank v8 .. https://youtu.be/iipgIt5lXAY

Granted in that video it does not sound like a TT V8 at all; but in the recent videos of the cars driving on the street to/from the track they don't sound the same, even when the engine was revved for the photographers.

GM: probably playing major head games with everyone tbh. We are supposed to know soon enough the exact details.

IF it's a NA FPC I sure hope GM has cured the inherent balance issues unlike Ford in the GT350, and the car is going to be a reliable track weapon when revved to the redline
Old 09-11-2021, 04:16 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Checkmate

Happy as a clam.

Checkmate: Can you briefly list any mods you've done to the car?

Bish
The following users liked this post:
exit87 (09-11-2021)
Old 09-11-2021, 05:01 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
calling it turbo was tongue in cheek I assume?, because it's so obviously an NA flat crank v8 .. https://youtu.be/iipgIt5lXAY

Just saw this over on CF. Hadn't seen it before:

Old 09-12-2021, 10:06 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

Just saw this over on CF. Hadn't seen it before:

https://youtu.be/V8fP85m3vc8
That car seems like it's going to be the real deal. I just hope it doesn't end up being unobtainable like the Ford GT's.
Old 09-12-2021, 12:46 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 959 Posts

I know AP reads this forum (he said so in a few interviews himself) and it would be impossible at this point that he didnt see this thread (not to mention hear the car himself next to their own garage by nurburgring).

With that said, I find that utterly humiliating that an American manufacturer has been able to build a car that excites people so much so that even in the benchmark 992 GT3 forum - which is a car not only from a performance perspective but much more so about excitement and connection metrics, everyone is talking about. I have been watching this thread and it has been receiving more views and posts than most other threads here.

Why this matters is it should be a wake up call to the EU sports car manufacturers who are so afraid of these retarded “regulations”, be it noise (I hate the GPF) or be it emissions. It seems like GM’s attitude of a big middle finger doesn’t hurt them one bit. I bet everyone watching these videos, especially those in person, are amazed how loud and visceral the car sounds like when everyone over there across the pond is using turbochargers (I never understood the point of mclarens or 488s when they sound so muted).

And this can be all had for $85-120k, you could literally buy a convertible and a coupe for the cost of a GT3 (with ADMs).

I know it has gotten EVERYONE’s attention because everyone here is scratching their head saying “what the f?” That $50,000 ADM and GPF exhaust dont look too good I bet

I love the American ingenuity and sheer power of their limitless resources. I dont think this car will even come close to the emissions/noise regulation figures of the EU cars. As was the case with the ZR1. They didnt even bother making it EU certified because they dont care about the silly rules. That car (ZR1) requires so much fuel that they had to use an extra set of fuel system. You go through a full tank of gas in 15 minutes driving it full tilt. And it sounds amazing - thats what matters the most!

Sorry, I had to say it…. AP, no hard feelings. I love your team from the bottom of my heart and will never sell my GT3RS
Old 09-12-2021, 12:54 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I know AP reads this forum (he said so in a few interviews himself) and it would be impossible at this point that he didnt see this thread (not to mention hear the car himself next to their own garage by nurburgring).

With that said, I find that utterly humiliating that an American manufacturer has been able to build a car that excites people so much so that even in the benchmark 992 GT3 forum - which is a car not only from a performance perspective but much more so about excitement and connection metrics, everyone is talking about. I have been watching this thread and it has been receiving more views and posts than most other threads here.

Why this matters is it should be a wake up call to the EU sports car manufacturers who are so afraid of these retarded “regulations”, be it noise (I hate the GPF) or be it emissions. It seems like GM’s attitude of a big middle finger doesn’t hurt them one bit. I bet everyone watching these videos, especially those in person, are amazed how loud and visceral the car sounds like when everyone over there across the pond is using turbochargers (I never understood the point of mclarens or 488s when they sound so muted).

And this can be all had for $85-120k, you could literally buy a convertible and a coupe for the cost of a GT3 (with ADMs).

I know it has gotten EVERYONE’s attention because everyone here is scratching their head saying “what the f?” That $50,000 ADM and GPF exhaust dont look too good I bet

I love the American ingenuity and sheer power of their limitless resources. I dont think this car will even come close to the emissions/noise regulation figures of the EU cars. As was the case with the ZR1. They didnt even bother making it EU certified because they dont care about the silly rules. That car (ZR1) requires so much fuel that they had to use an extra set of fuel system. You go through a full tank of gas in 15 minutes driving it full tilt. And it sounds amazing - thats what matters the most!

Sorry, I had to say it…. AP, no hard feelings. I love your team from the bottom of my heart and will never sell my GT3RS
This is not significantly different than every other generation of Z06 up until now.

Hopefully this time Chevy will better deliver on all the important points this time (lap time, durability (no overheating nor heat soak on the forced induction models), driver feel/feedback, friendliness at the limit.

Car geeks here have always been paying close attention (and several have become owners).

They always deliver huge performance at a very reasonable price (in US at least). I’m hoping they will make big strides on the intangibles.

In the end, competition drives all the cars to be better and hopefully more affordable.

Last edited by GrantG; 09-12-2021 at 12:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DrJay (11-01-2021)
Old 09-12-2021, 01:42 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,725 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
This is not significantly different than every other generation of Z06 up until now.

Hopefully this time Chevy will better deliver on all the important points this time (lap time, durability (no overheating nor heat soak on the forced induction models), driver feel/feedback, friendliness at the limit.

Car geeks here have always been paying close attention (and several have become owners).

They always deliver huge performance at a very reasonable price (in US at least). I’m hoping they will make big strides on the intangibles.

In the end, competition drives all the cars to be better and hopefully more affordable.
You have a valid point but the performance per dollar argument wasnt the main point I was making. The reality is Corvette is heading in the opposite direction to everyone else as far as the sound and emission. They are much more visceral and give you the level of adrenalin and sensory pleasure that only GT3 (among all cars produced in EU) matches. Its just ironic
Old 09-12-2021, 02:02 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

I honestly don't find it humiliating that an American car maker manages to deliver a great performance package, especially adjusted for the price. It is not AP's fault that dealers in US are able to add to the already higher price of GT cars. P GT cars are still quite reliable, and great cars, but I would think that a lot of people are eyeing the Z06 because of the price differential, especially considering ADM on GT cars. Other things equal, I would myself still prefer a 992 GT3, perhaps because of habit, elitism, style or whatever reason I don't understand, but if GM manages do do a good job, it's all in the intrinsic value that each one of us assigns to this car. It's good to have choices. I would also note the new Caddy blackwing vis-a-vis the M5's and E63s. I previously bought an M5C but no way I would pay $40K more for either BMW or Mercedes, especially given manual in the CTS V. Escalades created a niche of their own also.

It was about time that US carmakers find the secret sauce. More to go but it is nice to see progress.
Old 09-12-2021, 02:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
You have a valid point but the performance per dollar argument wasnt the main point I was making. The reality is Corvette is heading in the opposite direction to everyone else as far as the sound and emission. They are much more visceral and give you the level of adrenalin and sensory pleasure that only GT3 (among all cars produced in EU) matches. Its just ironic
I gotcha. It surely matters that in its home market, the regulations for noise are much less strict. But a GT3 with aftermarket exhaust (still easy, since OPF’s are unmonitored here) makes quite a noise too. There will be plenty of aftermarket exhausts for Z06 too (stock sound not nearly enough for some).

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing