New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 09:07 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Attachment 1324252
This thing is going to be so spaceship-y that it will make an aventador blush.
That is rather over the top. On the other hand, the base 911 has gone the other way and is so tame in appearance they are hardly noticeable on the road. I think the GT cars strike the right balance.
The following users liked this post:
motorwerksgroup (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 10:18 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Checkmate: Can you briefly list any mods you've done to the car?

Bish
Only mods during the 3 years are -

Mechanical / Body -
  • Katech Ported Throttle Body (15 - 30 min job - easy for any ham fisted joe) (Cost: < $300)
  • Green Air Filter (I think any aftermarket CAI is worthless except for more whine) (Cost: <$40)
  • SPL Rear Toe Arms with Eccentric Lockout (This was a recent mod just to ensure my rear toe doesn't change after hitting the gators hard, so far worth the money) (Cost: < $400)
Tires/Wheels -
  • Michelin PS4S Tires (For the Street) - I married the stock OEM wheels to the PS4S tires for a happy experience on the road. The Stock GY3R tires are reserved for track use only. (Cost: < $1,600)
  • Apex ARC8 wheels for the Track (Cost: < $1,500)
I use the stock pads for the track (great for 85% of the drivers out there) and I am an intermediate - advanced driver.

Honestly - as stock as one can imagine after 3 years of ownership.

Last edited by Checkmate; 09-13-2021 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 11:02 AM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate

Mechanical / Body -
  • Katech Ported Throttle Body (15 - 30 min job - easy for any ham fisted joe) (Cost: < $300)
  • Green Air Filter (I think any aftermarket CAI is worthless except for more whine) (Cost: <$40)
  • SPL Rear Toe Arms with Eccentric Lockout (This was a recent mod just to ensure my rear toe doesn't change after hitting the gators hard, so far worth the money) (Cost: < $400)
Tires/Wheels -
  • Michelin PS4S Tires (For the Street) - I married the stock OEM wheels to the PS4S tires for a happy experience on the road. The Stock GY3R tires are reserved for track use only. (Cost: < $1,600)
I use the stock pads for the track (great for 85% of the drivers out there) and I am an intermediate - advanced driver.

Fantastic, thank you for sharing.

one last ?: do you know if it’s easy to install a high quality aftermarket belt bar in the car along with different seats so that a 6 point belt system can be used?

I ask because if I pick up one of these it will be purely for track purposes until I can order a Z06/7 assuming the car is all that we hope it will be.

Bish
Old 09-13-2021, 11:03 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 915 Posts

Mechanical / Body -
Tires/Wheels -

How often are you going through tires? Brakes?
Old 09-13-2021, 11:43 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Originally Posted by thebishman
Fantastic, thank you for sharing.

one last ?: do you know if it’s easy to install a high quality aftermarket belt bar in the car along with different seats so that a 6 point belt system can be used?

I ask because if I pick up one of these it will be purely for track purposes until I can order a Z06/7 assuming the car is all that we hope it will be.

Bish
Absolutely, Competition Motorsports makes a great Roll Cage. Brey Krause also makes a harness bar that is used a lot. Plenty of information online with support for a cage/bar with harnesses.
thebishman (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 11:48 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
How often are you going through tires? Brakes?
For the track, it depends on your driving style and of course your alignment settings.
Conservatively - the stock GY3R tires should be fine for at least 5-7 track days at full tilt. Maybe more or less again dependent on the driver.

Brakes are similar to the tires - all dependent on the driver and how you bleed off speed. For me - I am a smooth driver on track.
The stock Ferodo pads are only at 50% after 6 track days + Tail of the Dragon and surrounding roads. I reserve the stock pads for track days and drives (like a trip to the Tail of the Dragon + Surrounding roads).

For the most of the year when I am only spiritedly running on back roads - I use the Powerstop Z26 pads which help with brake dust and helps me preserve the stock Ferodo pads for track use only.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:19 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

I have 3 Porsches in the garage. I will be shopping for a new Z06 for track use. Why? Porsche lack of allocations for GT3 GT4RS etc.
3 months later you will be looking for a GT3/4....
The following 2 users liked this post by ggreg911:
Mr Mojo Risin (09-13-2021), ShakeNBake (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 12:23 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Some are now saying it will be a 4.6l TT....
Whoever "some"'is is wrong. Outside of what is patently obvious from all the info out there, this image isn't showing the correct exhaust for that car which is center exit
Old 09-13-2021, 01:37 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Whoever "some"'is is wrong. Outside of what is patently obvious from all the info out there, this image isn't showing the correct exhaust for that car which is center exit
CAd image is 3 years old. Possible they have changed the exhaust layout since the original CAD. Seems to be the case as there are photos of both setup from the Ring

Notice the exhaust but the Z06 aero.

Last edited by Ksdaoski; 09-13-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-13-2021, 01:59 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ggreg911
3 months later you will be looking for a GT3/4....
Quite possible. And if i should happen to land a gt3 or GT4rs allocation, then it would change. But seems like that probably won't happen.
Old 09-13-2021, 04:08 PM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

I agree.. and I'm super excited about my allocation despite that. How many mid engine high revving flat plane crank naturally aspirated V-8's can you buy in the market right now? It could look like a Consulier GTP for all I care... it's What's underneath that makes up for it 2x
For the price especially....this thing will likely come in loaded up around $120K. It's untouchable for that cost
Old 09-13-2021, 04:39 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

We all know how this ends, we saw this before with the C7 Corvette- hype wagon ensues...then people realize it's no GT3, then mass exodus back to the GT cars. C7's then back on the market for pennies on the dollar.

Tale as old as time.

Last edited by Checkmate; 09-13-2021 at 04:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Checkmate:
ggreg911 (09-13-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 04:47 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

We all know how this ends, we saw this before with the C7 Corvette- hype wagon ensues...then people realize it's no GT3, then mass exodus back to the GT cars. C7's then back on the market for pennies on the dollar.

Tale as old as time.
Yes, I am the poster child for this! Been there, done that but maybe some folks will buy them instead and I can sneak in and grab a GT3 or GT4RS.

ggreg911 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 04:47 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

Tale as old as time.
I don't think things will play out the same this time. For one, the regular C8 is still commanding markups over msrp 2 years after it debuted. Not so with the C7. There is A LOT more hype surrounding the C8 platform in general, and the C8 Z06 in particular.

That said, I don't think there's gonna be a mass exodus to, or from the C8Z. I think it will draw sales from the GT3 pool of customers, but the GT3 pool is overflowing so I don't think it's gonna make a lot of difference to the GT3 market. Maybe it will soften it some. But I also foresee lots of markups and long waits with the C8Z so people with GT3 blue ***** are still gonna have blue ***** unless they're willing to pay a markup.
Old 09-13-2021, 05:04 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Originally Posted by G.Irish
I don't think things will play out the same this time. For one, the regular C8 is still commanding markups over msrp 2 years after it debuted. Not so with the C7. There is A LOT more hype surrounding the C8 platform in general, and the C8 Z06 in particular.

That said, I don't think there's gonna be a mass exodus to, or from the C8Z. I think it will draw sales from the GT3 pool of customers, but the GT3 pool is overflowing so I don't think it's gonna make a lot of difference to the GT3 market. Maybe it will soften it some. But I also foresee lots of markups and long waits with the C8Z so people with GT3 blue ***** are still gonna have blue ***** unless they're willing to pay a markup.
Problem with the GT3 is the hype wagon never stops thanks to Porsche strategically marketing it in different quarters. There is constant demand for at least the first 2 model years then a crash down to earth when the .2 version comes out. Then all the owners of the .1's then start unloading en masse. We've seen this too many times.

Had it not been for the supply chain disruptions, GM would be building tens of thousands of Vettes. The current state of the supply chain + lack of inventory is what is artificially driving up C8 prices. GM is all about economies of scale.
What folks forget is that an average household does not 'want' a sports car, any sports car is a hard sell with a young family these days. It's a hard business proposition. Thanks to inflation, there is less disposable income in most quarters to splurge on a sports car (at least for most middle income families). These are usually 3rd cars in the household.

At some point we will reach a tipping point thanks to the mass move to EV's at least with the current generation of 20 and 30 year old's. Then I can see lots of these 'enthusiast' friendly sports cars being either snapped up fast or unloaded en masse.

Last edited by Checkmate; 09-13-2021 at 05:17 PM.

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing