Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2021, 11:54 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
I have 3 Porsches in the garage. I will be shopping for a new Z06 for track use. Why? Porsche lack of allocations for GT3 GT4RS etc.
What he said. I am really frustrated with the foxtrot tango dance and singing required with Porsche dealers to buy their GT cars. Its like trying to date with a popular girl/boy in highschool....
The following users liked this post:
G.Irish (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 01:02 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
What he said. I am really frustrated with the foxtrot tango dance and singing required with Porsche dealers to buy their GT cars. Its like trying to date with a popular girl/boy in highschool....
You forget the 'requirement' by some Porsche dealers to have bought at least 3-4 cars from them in the past before they can even give you an allocation for a GT3. The way around it - show up with a bag of cash up front and pay way over sticker.
FourT6and2 (09-12-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:23 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
You forget the 'requirement' by some Porsche dealers to have bought at least 3-4 cars from them in the past before they can even give you an allocation for a GT3. The way around it - show up with a bag of cash up front and pay way over sticker.
That is not the case for me. I have must spoken to over 100 dealers at this point beginning a year ago. Unless 3-4 cars are 918s, GT2RS, Speedster (all with ADMs), it simply does not matter. Trading in a GT car, buying another high sticker car (at some point I even discussed trading in a GT3RS AND buying a 160k Cayenne) did not make a difference. The best deal I have seen was 30k of ADM for a 16 month wait AND the 30k ADM due as deposit now…. Right….

When the next recession happens and car salesman start complaining about “the business being slow”, I will have no tears for them. They are greedy as you have no idea.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 09-01-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Checkmate (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 02:39 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Lots of people (maybe even some here who simply lurk and don't post) simply buy a Porsche -- and specifically a GT car -- for the badge and panache it provides at Cars & Coffee.

A Chevy, even with a Corvette badge, with another Z06 badge, simply doesn't provide the same type of branding that many of the aforementioned luxury buyers are looking for.

Yes, a Z06 might outperform the GT3/RS for 1/2 the price, but lots of people don't buy these cars just for the performance numbers, but the badge on the top of the hood and the frunk.

So, no, I don't really think the C8 Z06 will be any more of a threat to the 992 GT3/RS that prior generations of Z06's.

It is what it is.
Old 09-01-2021, 02:42 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Lots of people (maybe even some here who simply lurk and don't post) simply buy a Porsche -- and specifically a GT car -- for the badge and panache it provides at Cars & Coffee.

A Chevy, even with a Corvette badge, with another Z06 badge, simply doesn't provide the same type of branding that many of the aforementioned luxury buyers are looking for.

Yes, a Z06 might outperform the GT3/RS for 1/2 the price, but lots of people don't buy these cars just for the performance numbers, but the badge on the top of the hood and the frunk.

So, no, I don't really think the C8 Z06 will be any more of a threat to the 992 GT3/RS that prior generations of Z06's.

It is what it is.
Agree with this. I would also add that it's not all about how fast you can go around a circuit, it's how the car makes you feel when you drive, the experience. The GT3 connects to your soul, at least it does for me and for many others who have reviewed the car and/or driven previous GT3 cars. The GT3 just wins you over in ways other cars just cannot. The intangibles are many
exit87 (09-03-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 03:02 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,039 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Yep, tracking a 911 has always been a totally different and rewarding experience that is not the same in other cars (both those that are faster and slower than the 911).

People can surely prefer other cars, but there is no other car that is the same.

Last edited by GrantG; 09-01-2021 at 03:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
exit87 (09-03-2021), Larry Cable (12-09-2022)
Old 09-01-2021, 04:24 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

No the Z06 doesn't appeal to the buyer for whom brand cachet is a primary buying factor, the C8 will be no different.

Every generation GM has been upping the ante with performance, design, refinement, and driving experience. For the driving enthusiast who loves the character of high revving engines and wants a track-oriented ride, the C8 Z06 seems like it'll be way more compelling than any Corvette before it. The numbers have always favored the Z06, but now the driving experience is a bigger draw.

I think the C8 Z06 will attract a lot more buyers who might've otherwise bought some sort of GT3 than any previous Corvette. I don't think it'll put a dent in GT3 sales numbers, but I think there are gonna be a number of people who get tired of the dealer games with the 992 GT3 and just buy a C8 Z06. A C8 Z06 isn't my first choice, but if I can't get a GT3 or GT4RS on any sort of reasonable timeline I may go that route. If I don't like it, Z06 depreciation usually isn't that bad.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:15 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 216 Posts

The other knock on the Chevy product is proven reliability. The Z06 is not a car I would cross shop with the GT3. If I were unable to get a GT3 allocation, I would be looking at the Emira, but for me having a manual transmission is a huge part of the experience.
Mr Mojo Risin (09-02-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 05:22 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Irish
I think the C8 Z06 will attract a lot more buyers who might've otherwise bought some sort of GT3 than any previous Corvette. I don't think it'll put a dent in GT3 sales numbers, but I think there are gonna be a number of people who get tired of the dealer games with the 992 GT3 and just buy a C8 Z06. A C8 Z06 isn't my first choice, but if I can't get a GT3 or GT4RS on any sort of reasonable timeline I may go that route. If I don't like it, Z06 depreciation usually isn't that bad.
From what I've read/heard, getting a C8 Z06 is not going to be a walk in the park (or walk in the dealer) type of event either. I'm sure the allocation game will be less troublesome than the GT3 but not everyone that wants one will get one, at least for quite awhile.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:42 PM
G.Irish
Racer

Received 205 Likes on 108 Posts

The other knock on the Chevy product is proven reliability. The Z06 is not a car I would cross shop with the GT3. If I were unable to get a GT3 allocation, I would be looking at the Emira, but for me having a manual transmission is a huge part of the experience.

This is a definitely a big consideration, especially with an all-new engine. I think the Emira would be a great option, just not sure when those cars will actually hit shores. And the Lotus dealer network has shriveled up over the years.

Originally Posted by PTS
From what I've read/heard, getting a C8 Z06 is not going to be a walk in the park (or walk in the dealer) type of event either. I'm sure the allocation game will be less troublesome than the GT3 but not everyone that wants one will get one, at least for quite awhile.
The big difference with the Corvette is that there are several well-known mega dealerships that only sell at MSRP. So while you may have to wait a year for your number to come up, you will for sure get a car at MSRP.

Chevrolet also implemented a different way of allocating cars where the dealers that sell through Corvettes faster get more allocations, thereby dissuading swing-for-the-fences markups. At least that's how it's supposed to work in theory.
Old 09-02-2021, 11:49 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by thigos
Emira look cool aside for 2 things. 1) Turbo and super lag,,,,(drive the A45 it's out of), and 2) Will be made in china (eventually).
Old 09-02-2021, 12:34 PM
thigos
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Emira look cool aside for 2 things. 1) Turbo and super lag,,,,(drive the A45 it's out of), and 2) Will be made in china (eventually).
If I were buying one, I would get the supercharged V6 as it sounds amazing and that's the one that you can get with a stick. Looks like a great little package and a bargain for the price.
Old 09-02-2021, 01:22 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

A few thoughts I had while reading through this thread regarding Chevrolet and the new C8. I have been curious about the ZO6 for a little bit and been searching out information on it. While I have not found much, what I have found was interesting. Allegedly the shocks on the Camaro 1LE, or whatever the raciest package is, are super trick shocks, developed by multimatic and used in racing. Also, very expensive. These are reported to be on the ZO6 also.

My other thought was regarding the engine and its reliability. I have zero data on this, or how it will compare to the Ford flat plane engine in the Mustang and its issues. But, Chevy is racing it right now in Endurance racing and I haven't seen it blow up. It survived Le Mans.
Old 09-02-2021, 02:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,779 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Do Corvette engines really blow up? Or have a history of detonating?

The C7 had cooling problems that caused limp mode, but I don't the engines blew.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:36 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJay
A few thoughts I had while reading through this thread regarding Chevrolet and the new C8. I have been curious about the ZO6 for a little bit and been searching out information on it. While I have not found much, what I have found was interesting. Allegedly the shocks on the Camaro 1LE, or whatever the raciest package is, are super trick shocks, developed by multimatic and used in racing. Also, very expensive. These are reported to be on the ZO6 also.

My other thought was regarding the engine and its reliability. I have zero data on this, or how it will compare to the Ford flat plane engine in the Mustang and its issues. But, Chevy is racing it right now in Endurance racing and I haven't seen it blow up. It survived Le Mans.
Spool shocks yes... very controlled motion for the track and very elegant design. But Brutal for the road though. My guess is z06 will come with Both a magnetorheological option (tech which Ferrari bought from GM and which offers both a plush ride and track focused at same time) and probably the spool shocks for the hardcore track package.

Good read on spool shocks here: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...ers-explained/

Do Corvette engines really blow up? Or have a history of detonating?

The C7 had cooling problems that caused limp mode, but I don't the engines blew.
Only the superchargedc7 z06 had this issue Because unlike the ZR1, they did not give it sufficient cooling around the supercharger... But Corvette engines otherwise have been bullet proof, (unlike Porsche GT3 engines.)
DIYDanCars (10-24-2021)

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing