Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2021 | 11:48 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
I’m aware of one C8 engine blowing up at VIR this year.
The new Z06 engine is going to share almost nothing in common with the C8 Stingray engine (for better or worse).
Old 09-04-2021 | 01:50 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DrJay
Why not when they already use them on a Camaro?
Because the Camaro 1LE track package sells in extremely small numbers mostly to owners who primarily want them for track purposes.

This is not the case for the Z07 version of the previous generation C7 Corvette, of which GM sold many thousands and I bet the C8 version will sell extremely well also. That’s because GM knows it will sell 90% of the Z07 optioned car for higher profit margins to owners who don’t give a damn about taking it to the local road course, but only care that it looks ‘cooler/racier’ than the normal C8 Z06. Those C&C owners will tolerate a marginal decrease in street compliance of the Z07, even when it’s shocks are set to ‘Touring’ mode, but they won’t tolerate the very unforgiving ride of a $120K Z07 if it’s suspension is modeled after the 1LE Camaro.

Further, a C7 Z07 is a faster car on track now even with it’s magnetorheologic shocks versus the Multimatics of the 1LE Camaro, and given the ME advantages of the new C8, the Z07 version doesn’t need to screw up it’s on street compliance to be even faster.
Old 09-04-2021 | 04:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Of everything you said, one claim sticks out as most relevant to me: If the magnetorheological shocks are indeed faster than the multimatics, then that changes everything. I don't know if what you're saying is accurate though?
Old 09-04-2021 | 06:40 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thebishman
Because the Camaro 1LE track package sells in extremely small numbers mostly to owners who primarily want them for track purposes.

This is not the case for the Z07 version of the previous generation C7 Corvette, of which GM sold many thousands and I bet the C8 version will sell extremely well also. That’s because GM knows it will sell 90% of the Z07 optioned car for higher profit margins to owners who don’t give a damn about taking it to the local road course, but only care that it looks ‘cooler/racier’ than the normal C8 Z06. Those C&C owners will tolerate a marginal decrease in street compliance of the Z07, even when it’s shocks are set to ‘Touring’ mode, but they won’t tolerate the very unforgiving ride of a $120K Z07 if it’s suspension is modeled after the 1LE Camaro.

Further, a C7 Z07 is a faster car on track now even with it’s magnetorheologic shocks versus the Multimatics of the 1LE Camaro, and given the ME advantages of the new C8, the Z07 version doesn’t need to screw up it’s on street compliance to be even faster.
It is also possible to buy a Camaro without the shocks... There is no reason Chevy can't make them available.
Old 09-04-2021 | 09:46 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJay
3rd or 4th engine? Speaking of honesty. How many GT3s are on their 3rd or 4th engine for some reason Porsche is responsible for?
My friends 991.1 GT3 was on its 3rd engine before she traded it in for a GT3 RS.

In the time she owned the GT3 she went through more engines (3) than carbon ceramic brake rotors (1), after about 7k track miles.
Old 09-05-2021 | 12:22 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Of everything you said, one claim sticks out as most relevant to me: If the magnetorheological shocks are indeed faster than the multimatics, then that changes everything. I don't know if what you're saying is accurate though?
I am not saying the magnetorheologic shocks are faster; in fact I’m sure that GM could produce a Z07 with the Multimatics that would lap a road course faster; it’s just that it would render the car substantially unidimensional and hence hurt sales drastically of the most profitable version of the Z06. Yes, guys like us would jump at the chance of buying an ‘RS’ version of the Z06/7 for track purposes, but ‘we’ are not the typical GM demographic. GM knows it will sell far more high profit Z07s to owners who will never take the car to a track, and GM will go to where the money is.

That being said, I do believe that the C8 Z06 with the FE7 option, (the Z07), will be a very useable car as an (almost) DD, as well as being a true track weapon for around $120K loaded.

At least I hope so! lol
Old 09-06-2021 | 10:53 AM
SeamusH
AutoX

Originally Posted by handful
I'm on the waiting list for a Z06 with the 3rd largest corvette dealer (allocations) in the country. No adm and I'm at the top of the list. Since I live in Colorado I'm going to go with weed scented tree.
I’m on the same list with the same dealer, but a bit further down. I’m also on the GT3 list with my local dealer. I’m every bit as excited about the Z06 as the GT3. My first GM product was a 2020 C8 3LT Z51 that I now have 10k miles on, including a 2,600 mile road trip and several track days. The magnetic ride is exemplary, no glue smell, fit and finish much better than any previous generation (70-80% Porsche), paint better than previous generations, but not Porsche standard, composite roof panel creeks when its has been baking in the sun, as many have mentioned pronounced understeer at the limit on street alignment. DCT is amazing for an initial offering and will likely be better for Z06 (possibly magnesium castings), I think it is within 5% of the non GT PDK. I have not really got used to 6,500 rpm redline coming from a string of high revving cars and bikes - but that is going to get fixed with the Z06. I enjoy not paying $5k for blue, $3k for lift, etc. I’m delighted that NA high revving car like the GT3 and Z06 are still being made - if they put turbos or batteries on the next generations I’m taking these to the grave with me.

The following 5 users liked this post by SeamusH:
DrJay (09-08-2021), exit87 (09-11-2021), mpride (09-07-2021), Ohio Performance (09-12-2021), thebishman (09-07-2021)
Old 09-07-2021 | 05:37 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

I've seen plenty of Magnetic shocks overheat on track (worse on heavier cars). Multimatic /DSSV's do not have that issue. It's about consistency and not being married to any specific software parameter.

Small wonder why the best track cars GM has ever built in the last 20 years was the Z/28 and the ZL1/1LE. Best part - you can still get a new ZL1/1LE in a Manual.

The Z06 has potential but these things are generally inconsistent in terms of experience and ownership (Then again - what sports car isn't...)
Old 09-07-2021 | 05:38 PM
Checkmate
Instructor

I've seen plenty of Magnetic shocks overheat on track (worse on heavier cars). Multimatic /DSSV's do not have that issue. It's about consistency and not being married to any specific software parameter.

Small wonder why the best track cars GM has ever built in the last 20 years was the Z/28 and the ZL1/1LE. Best part - you can still get a new ZL1/1LE in a Manual.

The Z06 has potential but these things are generally inconsistent in terms of experience and ownership (Then again - what sports car isn't...)
Old 09-07-2021 | 07:02 PM
thebishman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Checkmate

I pushed my ‘15 Z06/7 hard on track multiple times in the 30 months I owned it without any shock related issues. Plus I cannot remember one post talking about the shocks failing on track amongst owners of the C7 Z06/7 over on Corvette Forum, and I’m active there especially when I owned the car.
The following users liked this post:
motorwerksgroup (09-08-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 05:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 09-09-2021 | 06:06 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Definitely turbocharged.

No but really. OMG this is so exciting
Old 09-09-2021 | 06:11 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Is this a different car? Sounds different.
Old 09-09-2021 | 06:49 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Probably the ZR1 which has turbochargers on it. I don't care what any of the nay sayers say......this car is awesome. It sounds great, fantastic value and the performance is incredible.

I've never owned an American car yet (I'm 55). This one is pretty cool.
The following users liked this post:
motorwerksgroup (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021 | 07:16 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
Probably the ZR1 which has turbochargers on it. I don't care what any of the nay sayers say......this car is awesome. It sounds great, fantastic value and the performance is incredible.

I've never owned an American car yet (I'm 55). This one is pretty cool.
I went the other direction - owned nothing but big American V8’s into my mid-20’s and then switched to German (with one Italian and one Japanese exception). I do love to see fierce competition in this arena

Last edited by GrantG; 09-10-2021 at 12:39 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by GrantG:
96redLT4 (09-13-2021), subshooter (09-12-2021)

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing