New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 10:55 AM
handful
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by G.Irish
Pineapples grow on trees???
metaphometaphorically speaking: pineapple head, tree body. We are just having fun, right?
Old 08-26-2021, 01:54 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

[QUOTE=It was a bonkers fun car.[/QUOTE]

Loved mine! When you press on the go pedal you could care less about negative stereotypes.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:03 PM
Mr Mojo Risin
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
Loved mine! When you press on the go pedal you could care less about negative stereotypes.
don’t disagree. I loved the car when it wasn’t broken down notwithstanding all the crap I got from my friends that it’s an old man car. Glad I owned it but will never go back because of reliability issues
The following users liked this post:
ggreg911 (09-13-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 02:10 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

It sounds like these won't be available for about 18 months or longer. I'd like get one, strip everything out and make it a dedicated track car. It would nice if Pratt Miller would purchase a bunch of these and modify them for the track, like a GT4 Clubsport edition.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:11 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,039 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Old 08-26-2021, 02:14 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts

I have 14,000 miles on my C7 ZR1 and I am still learning how to drive it. Its extremely challenging which is sometimes good and rewarding but other times scary. Learned throttle steering and the way you enter turns is completely different than a rear engine 911. Its like one car is the “anti” of the other car. It took me 200 miles to feel confident in my GT3RS (maybe even less) and I am not even 50% there with the ZR1. Again, its both a good and a bad thing. Its definitely a super aggressive car that you can drive to grocery shopping or take extended drives. It does this dual personality thing so well. You need to have 911 Turbo S, GTS, Targa, and GT3RS to do what ZR1 does. Obviously ZR1 doesnt do what those very specialized cars do well 100% but it does 100% of Turbo’s sheer speed but 80% of luxury and refinement, 90% of GTS usable sportiness (ZR1 is a bit too stiff), 80-85% of GT3RS agility, and 100% targa experience. You have to pay insane sums of money for CF hoods and scoops and wings in the Porsche and you can drive around with this thing with ease. It sounds absolutely epic also. And all of this as manual. Very unique. I think 997.2 GT2 is probably the closest thing to do. Bolt action rifle shifter, linkage rod vs cable, heavy clutch with a very low engagement point.

Obviously maybe this isnt a fair comparison as 140k vs 80k Z06 but this is my experience. I have also seen 1 ZR1 to this date, ever, anywhere in the US but have seen more than 10+ GT3RS and probably 3 times of that GT3. The rarest porsche I have seen was GT2RS, only 1 time. GT3s have certainly become too common where I live.

Last edited by 3-Pedals; 08-26-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2021, 06:06 PM
handful
Instructor

Originally Posted by GrantG
Hey Grant - this is the first time I've seen this YouTuber, does he usually have information regarding lap times from the various manufacturers in advance of publications. He's right there on site, and assuming he lives close by he might have an advantage. I did put myself on the list at Stevinson's but I may be 90 before I actually see one........
Bob
Old 08-26-2021, 06:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,039 Likes on 2,846 Posts

Originally Posted by handful
Hey Grant - this is the first time I've seen this YouTuber, does he usually have information regarding lap times from the various manufacturers in advance of publications. He's right there on site, and assuming he lives close by he might have an advantage. I did put myself on the list at Stevinson's but I may be 90 before I actually see one........
Bob
Hi Bob - yeah Misha and Robert Mitchell both have YouTube channels with some good scoops occasionally. Misha helped me out with setting tire pressure on my car once too. Don't give up on the wait list - if the market cools off a bit, you might get a call much earlier than you expect
Old 08-26-2021, 07:11 PM
handful
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
don’t disagree. I loved the car when it wasn’t broken down notwithstanding all the crap I got from my friends that it’s an old man car. Glad I owned it but will never go back because of reliability issues
I had the opposite experience. Mine was solid, and I never had any problems, yet I drove it hard 50% of the time. On the other hand my Porsche had so many squeaks, and rattles that unless I drove it hard it annoyed me. Both cars were mechanically sound, but my Porsche dealer was a let down. My local Chevy dealer was very responsive, and when I had them spec the suspension to the DSC recommendations they delivered. However, I did have a conversation with the Service Mngr and relayed to him my expectations prior to having them service my car. Every once in a while I would buy the chief mechanic a nice bottle of scotch, and it paid dividends.

Last edited by handful; 08-26-2021 at 07:14 PM.
991.1 Guy (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:22 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 917 Posts

Name:  photo653.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  988.2 KB high downforce package and normal.
Old 08-26-2021, 07:47 PM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

I had the opposite experience. Mine was solid, and I never had any problems, yet I drove it hard 50% of the time. On the other hand my Porsche had so many squeaks, and rattles that unless I drove it hard it annoyed me. Both cars were mechanically sound, but my Porsche dealer was a let down. My local Chevy dealer was very responsive, and when I had them spec the suspension to the DSC recommendations they delivered. However, I did have a conversation with the Service Mngr and relayed to him my expectations prior to having them service my car. Every once in a while I would buy the chief mechanic a nice bottle of scotch, and it paid dividends.
Mine was solid as well. I tracked hard a C5 Z06, a C6 Z06 and a C7 Z06. Never a problem with any of them. Plus, what is more fun than pressing the throttle in 3rd gear and leaving 100 feet of black stripes.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:12 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 924 Posts

Isnt this a bit ironic? Because my experience is exactly like yours. The chevrolet service manager is the nicest, most humble and respectful person I have had the pleasure to work with in that industry. My experiences with various Porsche dealers, including the service dealer here which I will not name has been absolutely abysmal. The dealer here has been irresponsive, disrespectful, not punctual or accurate and have been a big rip off. So much for the “brand” name. They hardly do their job to work on legitimate warranty claims, forget about “taking care of you”. Honestly, I am really worried how this is going to go. My car is still within the factory warranty period (and it has CPO thereafter) but i m outright afraid how this relationship with the dealers will progress when the car is out of warranty.

Chevy has bent over backwards (literally) to make it right when I had problems.

Yes, the service department and waiting room arent anywhere near the porsche standards. But you know what? I couldnt care less about that given my experience.

Regarding squeaks and rattles, my GT3RS is the same. The door, climate control, the steering wheel (airbag), the seats all creak rattle worse than my Corvette. It is funny isnt it. I still believe Porsche is a much better built car. The materials used in and under the car are much better. Engineering details are just something else. No doubt. But my experience driving both of them really mimic yours.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:15 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
I think the C8 generation of Corvette has seriously reshaped the old stereotype of the Corvette buyer from previous generations. When a GT3 is upwards of $200K and a Z06 is $120K with its mid-engined flat plane crank N/A V8 DCT, it's a compelling value proposition and a serious contender.
The following 2 users liked this post by motorwerksgroup:
G.Irish (09-01-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 10:32 AM
Checkmate
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 45 Posts

I am not sure GT3 buyers will be cross shopping against a Z06. The Z06 was always designed and built as a performance bargain that was accessible by most people. It punched way above it's weight.

As for the C8 Z06, strong speculation suggests they will use a NA Flat Plane V8. As to whether GM can avoid the Flat Plane fiasco from Ford and their GT350...time will tell.
If pricing for the base Z06 starts anywhere from $80 - $90k, it is only 50% of the price of a new GT3 with no bells and whistles (assuming anyone can get a GT3 at sticker).

Most people aren't in the income bracket of a traditional GT3 buyer, the Z06 is one that the blue and middle class folks can aspire to own someday. A new GT3 is something that is reserved for folks much higher in the peking order.

Porsche has always had the liberty of massive profit margins on their cars by nickel and diming to their benefit. GM on the other hand is on one end of the spectrum with barely any margins for 90% of their offerings.

The Z06 always was and will remain a hero for the masses.

Last edited by Checkmate; 09-01-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Larry Cable (12-09-2022)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,832 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate
I am not sure GT3 buyers will be cross shopping against a Z06. The Z06 was always designed and built as a performance bargain that was accessible by most people. It punched way above it's weight.

As for the C8 Z06, strong speculation suggests they will use a NA Flat Plane V8. As to whether GM can avoid the Flat Plane fiasco from Ford and their GT350...time will tell.
If pricing for the base Z06 starts anywhere from $80 - $90k, it is only 50% of the price of a new GT3 with no bells and whistles (assuming anyone can get a GT3 at sticker).

Most people aren't in the income bracket of a traditional GT3 buyer, the Z06 is one that the blue and middle class folks can aspire to own someday. A new GT3 is something that is reserved for folks much higher in the peking order.

Porsche has always had the liberty of massive profit margins on their cars by nickel and diming to their benefit. GM on the other hand was on the other end of the spectrum with barely any margins.

The Z06 always was and will remain a hero for the masses.
I have 3 Porsches in the garage. I will be shopping for a new Z06 for track use. Why? Porsche lack of allocations for GT3 GT4RS etc.
G.Irish (09-01-2021)

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing