Sponsored by:

New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 12:13 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But do you think the C8 Z06 is really a competitor to the GT3 (or really more like the GT3 RS).

I just don't see it. For those that do not get a 992 GT3, I really don't see them hopping over to their local Chevy dealer to spec out a Z06. The thing with the GT3 is that one can easily daily it and take it to the track and ring it out. The Z06 cannot do that. Not the former; the latter, for sure, at least that's what it's designed for.
Or, like me, you are getting both. GT3 with manual and DCT in the Z06. They will be different experiences that compliment each other. I'm mostly a Porsche guy, but the only car I regret selling is my C7 ZR-1
Old 08-22-2021, 12:47 AM
FogCitySF
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Think the Z06 will give the GT3 and RS a run for its money. The engine placement will be in a an optimal location, will most likely be easier to drive fast, and mageride dampers are going to be more sophisticated than Porsche PASM in the 991 generation (and most likely 992). Won't have the same cachet, but assuming decent reliability, at $100k-$120k is a very compelling street-able track car. The RS is a pretty punishing daily car...frankly don't think the vette will be any less street-able (probably will be more so).
Old 08-22-2021, 12:55 AM
exit87
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by AllAboutThatP
I have money down on the new Z06 and will also be getting a 992 GT3RS. Variety is good and I think this Z06 will be the one to have. A 5.5L, flat plane, N/A, high revving V8. It will be the last (and only) of it's kind, just like the 992 GT3RS will probably be the last of it's kind as well.
Damn! If the Z06 is as they say it is then that’s not much variety from your RS. A little for sure but.. It seems like you need a manual transmission semi old school fire breathing torque monster V8 ish car to add to your collection for variety. I couldn’t care less about owning the Z06 (even though I think it will be phenomenal, both visually and of course performance) I added a Camaro ZL1 1LE six speed manual recently after gauging where we are, how old I am and where we are going.. After a few bolt on mods it’s over 700 hp. Id suggest something like this is the ultimate variety. Also have a Tesla model 3 performance as the daily so between those three this variety is about as good as it will ever get and at 45 years old I feel very comfortable with my variety status quo. What are your thoughts?

The following 2 users liked this post by exit87:
Captain P (08-23-2021), jto24 (09-28-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 01:27 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
I’m sorry - how is Z06 any worse daily than the new GT3 with ball joins and double wishbone cup car suspension? It has twice the cargo space and can turn into a convertible in 30 seconds. Not how I would use this car but I am just responding to your statement.
Also have same question.
Old 08-22-2021, 02:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,543 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Old 08-22-2021, 08:47 AM
JoshuaKM1
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The Z06 will definitely be daily-able since you can put it in "tour" mode. Heck I have no doubt that Tadge (Corvette's Chief Engineer) will brag about the fact that you can fit two sets of golf clubs in the trunk like the current C8 (base).

The big question for me will be whether the materials will be high enough quality in the Z06 to convince me to trade in my C2S, since I can only really justify one toy in my garage. In essence you get what you pay for - 911s are like double the price and you get much higher quality leather, materials, etc.

Both of these brands are becoming like Rolex and Omega in the watch world - people become fanboys of either brand but honestly the best option is own watches across multiple brands.
Old 08-22-2021, 08:57 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 669 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by exit87
Damn! If the Z06 is as they say it is then that’s not much variety from your RS. A little for sure but.. It seems like you need a manual transmission semi old school fire breathing torque monster V8 ish car to add to your collection for variety. I couldn’t care less about owning the Z06 (even though I think it will be phenomenal, both visually and of course performance) I added a Camaro ZL1 1LE six speed manual recently after gauging where we are, how old I am and where we are going.. After a few bolt on mods it’s over 700 hp. Id suggest something like this is the ultimate variety. Also have a Tesla model 3 performance as the daily so between those three this variety is about as good as it will ever get and at 45 years old I feel very comfortable with my variety status quo. What are your thoughts?
I am in that same camp as you, although at a smaller price point. C2 Cabriolet (on order and here in around 6 months), 2020 Mustang GT w/Edelbrock supercharger & goodies, and a Explorer ST to putz around in. To me, and it's just me, that is a nice spread across genres. Hey, if I could afford it, the GT3 would be in my stable in a flash!

I am not a huge Corvette fan. We have had 2 and although decent and never a Z06 model, they just don't light a fire anywhere for me.

Love your color "twins" with your two pictured vehicles. Very nice!
Old 08-22-2021, 10:05 AM
AllAboutThatP
Burning Brakes

Received 557 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by exit87
I’ve got a lot of cars, so I like even subtle variety!
Old 08-22-2021, 11:24 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,640 Likes on 912 Posts

Speaking of interior quality, here is my own experience. I own a C7 ZR1 and a 991.2 GT3RS. The interior materials of the Porsche is a few levels above that of Corvette. Leather, alcantra, panels, plastic pieces, CF pieces are all better.

But…..

The interior of my GT3RS makes far more noises, and they are extremely annoying than the ZR1. The ZR1 interior is utter quiet, just the exhaust. Perhaps the seats creak a bit when you take high g turns but thats about it. GT3RS interior make rattles and buzzing noises from pretty much everywhere. Door, steering wheel, climate control, 12V charge port to name a few. Engine has different resonance characteristics and different components buzz in different rpms. But they all rattle regardless of engine speed going over bumps etc.

I bought this car with 300 miles and this wasnt the case for the first 2000 miles. Now at 7000 miles its much worse. I think Porsches traditionally had much better damping and was able to maintain that refined porsche ride quality without sacrificing handling. I think 991.2 RS was the first truly stiff GT car with rose joins and I think 992 will be stiffer.

I have 14,000 miles on the ZR1 and 7000 on the RS. Porsche build quality is absolutely better. But my RS cant really survive the harsh ride. Perhaps other models like C2S, turbo, or even the base 991 GT3s are different. They ride on a strut suspension with softer springs and no solid joins. Its a surprising observation.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:26 AM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by joejenie
Or, like me, you are getting both. GT3 with manual and DCT in the Z06. They will be different experiences that compliment each other. I'm mostly a Porsche guy, but the only car I regret selling is my C7 ZR-1
Maybe off topic but why do you regret selling the ZR1? I am actually on the fence about selling the ZR1 (mine is manual, 3ZR) and buying a manual 991/992 GT3. I dont know if it will be a big mistake.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:14 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 08-22-2021, 07:28 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

JUST close your eyes and listen to this video.. tell me isn't easily as exciting as a GT3 engine. Man oh man this car is going to be everywhere at track days. i like it IN SPITE of how it looks.. it's very close to the look of a Lamborghini Aventador, not at all pretty, just dimensionally so imposing that it captures you in that brutal way. just impossibly rear-mid engine look with a hugely long tail, massively wide hips, short nose.. massive 345mm rear wheels.. and that SOUND. i'm totally pumped for it. Bernie Madoff told me this would be a good one!

and while Porsche seems impervious to the competition as GT cars regularly sell out, this z06 is going to shake up the market because there is nothing even below $300k (let alone $100k) which can touch it. carbon fiber wheels for the win by the way.

Last edited by CAlexio; 08-22-2021 at 07:32 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by CAlexio:
Avaley (10-29-2021), Matt(inMA) (08-23-2021), subshooter (08-22-2021)
Old 08-22-2021, 07:42 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Some say its a twin turbo (why the constant blue flames all the time). Time will tell.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
JUST close your eyes and listen to this video.. tell me isn't easily as exciting as a GT3 engine. Man oh man this car is going to be everywhere at track days. i like it IN SPITE of how it looks.. it's very close to the look of a Lamborghini Aventador, not at all pretty, just dimensionally so imposing that it captures you in that brutal way. just impossibly rear-mid engine look with a hugely long tail, massively wide hips, short nose.. massive 345mm rear wheels.. and that SOUND. i'm totally pumped for it. Bernie Madoff told me this would be a good one!

and while Porsche seems impervious to the competition as GT cars regularly sell out, this z06 is going to shake up the market because there is nothing even below $300k (let alone $100k) which can touch it. carbon fiber wheels for the win by the way.

I hope you're right.

We've heard the same thing about Vettes before and they've always sort of missed the mark.

Maybe this time GM/Chevy got it right.

Time will tell.
Old 08-22-2021, 07:48 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

I hope you're right.

We've heard the same thing about Vettes before and they've always sort of missed the mark.

Maybe this time GM/Chevy got it right.

Time will tell.
The problem is the “mark” for them is not the mark for you. The mark for them is 90% of the GT3 package for half the price. We want the same package with same finesse and refinement. I dont think its possible. There are no shortcuts. You get what you pay for.
The following 2 users liked this post by 3-Pedals:
InfamousS/T (09-05-2021), Mr Mojo Risin (08-23-2021)

Quick Reply: New Z06 and 992 GT3 on the NRing