Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2023 | 09:47 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Originally Posted by welikethetrack
the glue that says don’t think my depreciating asset sports car is an investment.

good luck with your “investment” I’m sure after tax, title, registration, insurance and maintenance (and of course lovely ADM) you’ll make out like a bandit on yours
Your glue sniffing has nothing to do w/ my situation, which happens to be much better than the bleak situation you've painted above.

Your consistent hopeful statements of guys losing money on their GT3's however is really weird and speaks more to your situation than their's....I wish you well...
Old 08-15-2023 | 10:42 AM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Randy M
Your glue sniffing has nothing to do w/ my situation, which happens to be much better than the bleak situation you've painted above.

Your consistent hopeful statements of guys losing money on their GT3's however is really weird and speaks more to your situation than their's....I wish you well...
I will lose money on my sports cars, you will too. We are in the same boat.

I just realize I drive depreciating assets, it seems you do not.

Your sentiment is what makes me think gt cars are going to get crushed more than even i think as the cheap skates that bought these cars to “drive for free” and “flip” will disappear overnight once that realization has set in. I myself will continue to buy GT cars and not care one bit at how low they sink, I buy them to drive and beat on and track….not HODL money
Old 08-15-2023 | 11:06 AM
Randy M
Drifting

I will lose money on my sports cars, you will too. We are in the same boat.

I just realize I drive depreciating assets, it seems you do not.

Your sentiment is what makes me think gt cars are going to get crushed more than even i think as the cheap skates that bought these cars to “drive for free” and “flip” will disappear overnight once that realization has set in. I myself will continue to buy GT cars and not care one bit at how low they sink, I buy them to drive and beat on and track….not HODL money
What I recognize about these cars is that they aren't easy to get, and for that the demand will remain higher than the majority of cars out there. Will they depreciate? They may or may not, it depends on many factors. I got in at sticker and sold my last one at well above so I'm as good as the vast majority can get. I anticipate that I may sell my 992 for less than what I got into it for, like the majority of the cars I've purchased. I also expect the depreciation to be much less than most as the fact remains and will continue to remain that nobody can just walk into a dealership and order one for sticker.

What I don't do that you apparently wish for, is for those who paid more than what you think they should have, for their penance in making a perceived poor financial decision, they should lose their shorts on it. That is a spiteful response to enthusiasts and people in general. Where does this come from? Are you just one of those guys that has to be right all the time to make yourself feel better?
Old 08-15-2023 | 11:23 AM
deVeil
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Randy M
What I recognize about these cars is that they aren't easy to get, and for that the demand will remain higher than the majority of cars out there. Will they depreciate? They may or may not, it depends on many factors. I got in at sticker and sold my last one at well above so I'm as good as the vast majority can get. I anticipate that I may sell my 992 for less than what I got into it for, like the majority of the cars I've purchased. I also expect the depreciation to be much less than most as the fact remains and will continue to remain that nobody can just walk into a dealership and order one for sticker.

What I don't do that you apparently wish for, is for those who paid more than what you think they should have, for their penance in making a perceived poor financial decision, they should lose their shorts on it. That is a spiteful response to enthusiasts and people in general. Where does this come from? Are you just one of those guys that has to be right all the time to make yourself feel better?
Don't feed the troll
The following 9 users liked this post by deVeil:
AlexCeres (08-16-2023), carcommander (08-15-2023), Diablo Dude (08-15-2023), Jbravo23 (08-15-2023), Peruna (08-15-2023), Randy M (08-15-2023), rodsky (08-15-2023), shrimp money (08-16-2023), zunayed (08-24-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2023 | 03:56 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Every Porsche GT car from the past 5 years will lose you money and depreciate. Buy them because you want to enjoy it, the last few years have been an anomaly, I sold my gt3rs for what I paid after 3 years and 7k+ miles and got into another GT I will most certainly lose money on.

I am not wishing for them to depreciate, just as I am not wishing for a candy bar to cost more next year....it's just what happens. I am telling you what I would tell a friend.....don't buy a GT3 expecting to NOT lose your shirt. Because, the most likely scenario is you will...and I fully expect to myself.

Expecting ADM's to just continue indefinitely and car prices not to fall is pretty insane expectations don't you think?
Old 08-15-2023 | 04:32 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

I suspect that in short order Porsche will stop making the GT3 if the demand falls too much -- the dealers and Porsche are not served long term by having GT cars selling for below msrp new at the dealers. Keep in mind for every GT3 with a gas guzzler tax -- in Europe under the rules that monitor their entire production of cars in terms of the pollution their entire company emits -- they could have sold a bunch of Macon's. GT cars are partly not mad to demand because of the rules in the European Union that discourage car companies from producing 500+ sports cars in their perceived battle to save the world from Global Warming. This is the main reason Porsche and other Euro manufacturers are in a rush to move to electric cars to enable them to meet the ever-tightening rules about emissions for gas powered cars. This is likely why they are concocting more special editions high powered sports car models that they can sell for much higher MSRP's even than lowly GT3's with a wing. Better for Porsche to make $200,000 profit on one Sport Classic then sell three GT3's -- then they can also sell a bunch of MAcons with the smallest engine.

I paid $40,000 over for a 2024 GT3 -- probably lose money on this car eventually but one upside is that at 72 -- if I keep the car until I croak, I will never have to sell the car for less than I paid. And my son will be thrilled about whatever he gets for the car when he sells it to buy a Tesla Truck.

I recently had my technology stocks fall by $200,000 in value and I didn't even get to have any fun like I do with cars that depreciate. Maybe I will leave this GT3 to my Grandson when he gets to high school -- helping my Grandson with the high school girls seems a worthy future for this GT3 and he won't car what ADM I paid. One important aspect for a young guy is that the seats in a 911 almost recline completely flat. I "borrowed" my Dad's 1970 911T from time to time when I was back in high school and those reclining seats were amazing and never had a "dad" worry about that little sports car. My friends with the Volkswagen vans did not always pass the Dad test. Changing my will today -- wish I was there when he is handed the keys to a 2024 911 GT3 --- and drives it into the high school parking lot.

LAst comment-- the only guys that really get destroyed financially are those that put down the minimum on a loan to buy a GT3 with an ADM -- and the car
depreciates below their equity in the car and their income falls making the payments difficult. Can't sell it without paying the bank extra money and can't make the payments is a bad position.

I pay cash for my cars -- even if I sell a car below my cost I can still sell it anytime.
The following 11 users liked this post by Targa32:
FrenchieDadRS (08-19-2023), GT3 Mike (08-17-2023), IRunalot (08-15-2023), mashoutposse (08-17-2023), Peruna (08-15-2023), phefner (08-15-2023), saksride (08-16-2023), shrimp money (08-16-2023), Softlink (08-15-2023), welikethetrack (08-15-2023), zunayed (08-24-2023) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2023 | 04:41 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

My metric for a what a car really costs me is net dollars paid per mile driven. I've never actually run this number, but I assume the number goes down if I drive the car more.
The following 6 users liked this post by Manifold:
IRunalot (08-15-2023), phefner (08-15-2023), RealityGT (08-16-2023), Robb M. (08-22-2023), welikethetrack (08-15-2023), Yargk (08-16-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-15-2023 | 05:35 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Targa32
I paid $40,000 over for a 2024 GT3 -- probably lose money on this car eventually but one upside is that at 72 -- if I keep the car until I croak, I will never have to sell the car for less than I paid. And my son will be thrilled about whatever he gets for the car when he sells it to buy a Tesla Truck.
The real upside is that at 72 you're in a position -- both financially and physically -- to enjoy a GT car.

Well done sir.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (08-16-2023)
Old 08-15-2023 | 05:39 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

My72 year old back will have the last word on whether the GT3 was a good idea or not. Not getting any easier to get in and out of a 911 -- my body prefers the Panamera!
Old 08-16-2023 | 02:32 PM
DodoBrd
Burning Brakes

the only guys that really get destroyed financially are those that put down the minimum on a loan to buy a GT3 with an ADM -- and the car
depreciates below their equity in the car and their income falls making the payments difficult. Can't sell it without paying the bank extra money and can't make the payments is a bad position.
Similar to this guy

Old 08-16-2023 | 03:05 PM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

From: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)

Originally Posted by DodoBrd
They just don't understand. It's a McLaren, not a car that can easily be given up!
The following users liked this post:
DodoBrd (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023 | 10:21 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Every Porsche GT car from the past 5 years will lose you money and depreciate. Buy them because you want to enjoy it, the last few years have been an anomaly, I sold my gt3rs for what I paid after 3 years and 7k+ miles and got into another GT I will most certainly lose money on.

I am not wishing for them to depreciate, just as I am not wishing for a candy bar to cost more next year....it's just what happens. I am telling you what I would tell a friend.....don't buy a GT3 expecting to NOT lose your shirt. Because, the most likely scenario is you will...and I fully expect to myself.

Expecting ADM's to just continue indefinitely and car prices not to fall is pretty insane expectations don't you think?
The giant can of Arizona Iced Tea is still 99 cents year after year.
Old 08-17-2023 | 01:19 PM
welikethetrack
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by shrimp money
The giant can of Arizona Iced Tea is still 99 cents year after year.
it’s so funny you say that because I literally just saw that maybe a week ago and was telling my brother the price hasn’t changed since high school

I couldn’t believe it, pretty wild
Old 08-17-2023 | 02:16 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

My72 year old back will have the last word on whether the GT3 was a good idea or not. Not getting any easier to get in and out of a 911 -- my body prefers the Panamera!
My 73 YO back can handle it with LWB so you are GTG.

Peter
The following 2 users liked this post by 85Gold:
IRunalot (08-17-2023), usctrojanGT3 (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023 | 02:38 PM
GT3 Mike
Rennlist Member

It’s vast majority dealers bidding at this point. Joe blow has left the building and interest rates and yet another after another GT car have sucked all the wind that was left in the sails.
I think the 100-125k over msrp has left the building but I don't think the GT cars will see standard depreciation. The .2 will likely START at 200k and see increases through the year. A rising tide raises all ships. I would expect 992's to hover around their msrp as time moves on.
The following 2 users liked this post by GT3 Mike:
FirstPorscheGT3 (08-20-2023), shrimp money (08-17-2023)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM