Sponsored by:

A place to discuss all things ADM

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2022, 01:13 PM
Salj
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Grunspan
the problem with Ferrari is you cant drive them. I’ve had 5 and the miles kill resale. It’s awful but it’s a hard fact. Ferrari owners cant wait to not drive their cars because the miles disproportionately kill their value more than any other car
Not really true these days. A 9,500 mile 2021 F8 still sold at $25k over MSRP at my Austin dealer.
Current ask on '21 and '22 F8's is $100-$150K over MSRP.
Old 09-05-2022, 01:19 PM
once4all
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by WenigerAberBeser
This has turned into the Suze Orman show
Sorry, did not want to go that direction until the rich kid began to label anyone a "sore loser" if you fund your car purchase with cash. Like the other poster said we don't really care about how others pay for their cars. None of my business.

However I do think this has a lot to do those high ADM's we are seeing. If you have a curious mind you are interested in finding out why such absurd ADM could exist. First of all, I don't accept an explanation like "there are so many people with a lot of money". In my observations, most well to do people aren't into hardcore sports cars. They typically own G-wagons, S classes, S models, Bentleys, Astons or maybe F-cars (after all, a Ferrari is more of a status symbol in public eyes than a Porsche). I think the main reason of extremely high ADM for Porsche GT cars are relatively low actual cost of ownership. If a substantial percent of purchases are financed by car loans of ~4% interest rate the cash outlay is small and threshold of entry is much lowered. I am not insinuating or judging anything but merely stating it as a fact here. This coupled with short term ownership and stable (if not appreciating) prices you end up paying close to zero cost owning such a car and enjoy them for 3, 6 or 12 months before flipping. I have seen so many GT3/RS copies driven 4000 miles but had 6 previous owners. High ADMs are not a concern as soon as the car can be flipped at similar markups like we saw for 992 GT3 and GT3T. With a low down payment and low interest car loan why would you be deterred by high ADM? The key is the delta when you flip the car. No, those who pay high ADM are not stupid and they are not morons. There is a very rational thought process going on here. I am discounting a few people who would regard 200K USD as a pocket change and I don't think you pay ADM for a Porsche or any car if you fly in a private 747 jet.

I am not saying anything earth shattering here and many folks have long figured it out. I believe for ADMs to come down, car loan interests need to dramatically increase to like 8%. Obviously when secondhand markets begin to go south quickly ADM will evaporate. No prediction but one or both of these conditions need to happen in order to kill ADM for 992 GT cars.
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (09-07-2022)
Old 09-05-2022, 02:10 PM
Grunspan
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

Lets leave the rancor at the door of this forum. Its taxing to read and counter to the spirit of just chillin’ when we settle in to follow usually on target forum discussions

Last edited by Grunspan; 09-06-2022 at 12:29 AM.
Old 09-05-2022, 02:17 PM
Grunspan
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 42 Posts

We are in a post covid bubble. Supply chains were interrupted, travel was stunted and we were limited to buying things versus experiences. That bubble is bursting and there will be a regression to the mean. Ferraris with miles traditionally get destroyed on resale. They will again. Compounding this, Ferrari has increasing production and more quickly changing body styles, thereby eroding the value of existing cars. I have been there a long time. It ain’t what it used to be. Buy one one now, drive it and sell it in 18-24 months and see how it goes. Best of luck
Old 09-05-2022, 11:30 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by once4all
With a low down payment and low interest car loan why would you be deterred by high ADM?
Not saying you're wrong but were I live it's about 8% to register a car, which you'd have to make back as a profit from the sale of the car, which inside of 12m would be taxable at short term capital gains both federal and state, so for a $300k purchase I believe you'd be looking at a breakeven exit price of approx. $350k, without considering the cost of financing, just to get back the reg fee.
Maybe with a Montana LLC it works easier, otherwise I think it's very hard to break even.​​​​​
Old 09-06-2022, 07:42 PM
once4all
Instructor

Originally Posted by Grunspan
We are in a post covid bubble. Supply chains were interrupted, travel was stunted and we were limited to buying things versus experiences. That bubble is bursting and there will be a regression to the mean. Ferraris with miles traditionally get destroyed on resale. They will again. Compounding this, Ferrari has increasing production and more quickly changing body styles, thereby eroding the value of existing cars. I have been there a long time. It ain’t what it used to be. Buy one one now, drive it and sell it in 18-24 months and see how it goes. Best of luck
For the 1F of '22, Porsche's total delivery outside of China is unchanged compared to '21. And for the whole year, '21 saw 11% increase over '20. There is some supply chain constraint, but the imbalance is mainly from higher demands.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2022...022-29082.html
Freddie Two Bs (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 08:02 PM
once4all
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freddie Two Bs
Not saying you're wrong but were I live it's about 8% to register a car, which you'd have to make back as a profit from the sale of the car, which inside of 12m would be taxable at short term capital gains both federal and state, so for a $300k purchase I believe you'd be looking at a breakeven exit price of approx. $350k, without considering the cost of financing, just to get back the reg fee.
Maybe with a Montana LLC it works easier, otherwise I think it's very hard to break even.​​​​​
ADM is a dealer fee, do you have to pay car registration tax on it? I don't know as I have never paid ADM.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:04 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by once4all
ADM is a dealer fee, do you have to pay car registration tax on it? I don't know as I have never paid ADM.
Yep
Old 09-06-2022, 08:08 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Yep
Wow really that’s sucks? Don’t most states charge a % value of the car, and add-on’s how would they know? One thing about GA I pay 100.00 dollars a year for 4 cars.
Old 09-06-2022, 08:09 PM
Targa32
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 305 Posts

Never thought about that - paying sales tax and registration fees on the amount the dealer wants above the msrp? Wow. That sure is insult to the ADM insult. Paying the blood sucking govt taxes and registration fees on the ADM is a lot more aggravating than the ADM itself.

the dealers should charge you a separate consulting fee to accost your selection of a vehicle.

And there is this constant chatter that citizens with a few dollars extra don’t pay enough in taxes?
Old 09-06-2022, 08:13 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Wow really that’s sucks? Don’t most states charge a % value of the car, and add-on’s how would they know? One thing about GA I pay 100.00 dollars a year for 4 cars.
They know by the title registration that identifies the sales price. If a dealer lies on that, the will be farked.

The state doesn’t care about MSRP. They tax on the sales price.
Maverick787 (09-06-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 08:45 PM
once4all
Instructor

That's a double insult, too bad. But for someone are willing to pay 200K ADM, an additional 16K is easy to stomach I guess.
Old 09-06-2022, 11:57 PM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,075 Likes on 2,329 Posts

Yup, paying sales tax on an ADM is double kick to the nuts. Hence why I say don't pay ADM.
fijibubba (09-07-2022)
Old 09-07-2022, 12:19 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by usctrojanGT3
Yup, paying sales tax on an ADM is double kick to the nuts. Hence why I say don't pay ADM.
There is a way to avoid paying tax on ADM, see you write 2 checks and one goes to Champion Motorsport, that one doesnt get taxed
Old 09-07-2022, 12:32 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

lots of wealthy people buy a S class or SUV, some would never consider a Porsche add that the RS has only 518 HP, the Vette has 670hp,most of the improvement comes from downforce, this along with ridiculous appearance and no trunk limits its appeal, even for Paris Hilton who Im sure can drive PDK but needs a trunk for her purchases, the markups are unlikely to last long and hopefully the cars go to real buyers and the brokers eat ****, I'm glad it looks this way and love the focus on aero, I hope to get one, I hope it becomes easier to buy a car someday
michaeldorian (09-07-2022)

Quick Reply: A place to discuss all things ADM