Sponsored by:

991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mfonseca
I am also looking to upgrading my .1 MF wheel to a .2 MF GT Sport wheel. I was under the impression that it was plug and play. I have not read anything about having to get activation codes. Can anyone confirm?
1# .1 MF to .2 MF install with gpsadapter is Plug&play,no coding needed, .1 MF heat to .2 MF heat install with gpsadapter is Plug&play also.
2# .1 Sport Design Steering Wheel to .2 MF,If equipped Sport Chrono Package need coding by PIWIS to enable instrument cluster MF key setting menu,no activation code needed.If without Sport Chrono Package upgrade to MF,need MF activation code and coding by PIWIS.
3# .1 equipped standards steering wheel no MF,upgrade to MF,99% need replace clock spring and MF activation code.
4#Add heat function need replace to heat support clock spring and heating activation code,coding by PIWIS enable new hardware and calibrate steering angle sensor and so on.Clock spring without heat no heating power supply contact PINs and no heating control circuit inside.

Last edited by Yuan Li; 11-07-2018 at 08:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PJK3 (10-31-2021)
Old 11-20-2018, 06:35 AM
OMTarga4S
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Yuan Li
As so far,i found if original equipped with sport chrono package,upgrade form sport design steering wheel to multifunction MF works without programming,joker key also works(change audio sources) but can't change it's functions from instrument cluster display setting menu.
Originally Posted by Mr. Big
^^
^^^ Paul is a great resource. He answered all of my stupid questions and I’m up and running

1# .1 MF to .2 MF install with gpsadapter is Plug&play,no coding needed, .1 MF heat to .2 MF heat install with gpsadapter is Plug&play also.
2# .1 Sport Design Steering Wheel to .2 MF,If equipped Sport Chrono Package need coding by PIWIS to enable instrument cluster MF key setting menu,no activation code needed.If without Sport Chrono Package upgrade to MF,need MF activation code and coding by PIWIS.
3# .1 equipped standards steering wheel no MF,upgrade to MF,99% need replace clock spring and MF activation code.
4#Add heat function need replace to heat support clock spring and heating activation code,coding by PIWIS enable new hardware and calibrate steering angle sensor and so on.Clock spring without heat no heating power supply contact PINs and no heating control circuit inside.
Which option should I follow. I currently have .1 MF heated with Sports Chrono package PDK. I would like to have a .2 MF heated PDK no Sports chrono dials. Black leather/ carbon fiber options for the wheel preferred. Links to purchase the correct parts will also be a great help. The dealer is unaware of the ability to retrofit....any tips for where to have it installed?
Old 11-20-2018, 12:00 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by OMTarga4S

Which option should I follow. I currently have .1 MF heated with Sports Chrono package PDK. I would like to have a .2 MF heated PDK no Sports chrono dials. Black leather/ carbon fiber options for the wheel preferred. Links to purchase the correct parts will also be a great help. The dealer is unaware of the ability to retrofit....any tips for where to have it installed?
That's the setup I had and went to on my 991.1 GTS except I didn't bother with the part that enables SW heating. Just PM Yuan and tell him what you are doing and he will set you up with the correct parts. In my case the local dealer did it and it was plug and play. Took the tech about ½ hour. He just followed the installation directionsYuan provides. I bought a custom wrapped RS wheel off ebay and the airbag from suncoast.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Originally Posted by OMTarga4S

Original is heated MF steering wheel, install new heated MF steering wheel with heat support gpsadapter is plug&play,no any coding needed.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:57 PM
BM991
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't wait to do this on my car!

Last edited by BM991; 11-21-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 11-21-2018, 05:50 PM
Rohan V
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

is 991.1 Sport Design Chrono Wheel with paddles to 991.2 GT non MF wheel with paddles just plug and play? I'm more interested in the smaller diameter of the new wheel rather than the MF functions.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:09 AM
Yuan Li
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rohan V
is 991.1 Sport Design Chrono Wheel with paddles to 991.2 GT non MF wheel with paddles just plug and play? I'm more interested in the smaller diameter of the new wheel rather than the MF functions.
Paddles is plug&play,didn’t pass the gpsadapter
Old 11-25-2018, 05:27 AM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

So I have a 991.1 with MF & heated wheel, PDK and Sport Chrono. Pic: https://imgur.com/a/EeZe58X
I want all of these features in a 991.2 wheel. I need the wheel in beige to match the interior. Not sure of the correct part number but I can figure that out.
I know I will need a new airbag.
I think this will be plug & play with the adapter. Is that true?
Old 11-25-2018, 04:43 PM
PorscheK
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's an update: My 991.2 did not come with the multifunction wheel so I went and installed one. My problem is finding a shop that can program the car to recognize it. Does anyone know if a dealership or shop in the Los Angeles area that's mod-friendly who will use their programming computer to do the job? I tried one dealer close to me and they refused to do it because my car did not come equipped with it. Any help on this will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Mr. Big, did you end up making it work?
Old 11-25-2018, 04:46 PM
PorscheK
Advanced

Paddles is plug&play,didn’t pass the gpsadapter
Hi Yuan, what is the latest confirmed procedure for 991.2 (with SC) to change from no MF to MF? What parts do I need? If I don't need the "joker key" to work, do I still need the dealer to activate the other buttons? Thanks
Old 11-25-2018, 06:24 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheK
Mr. Big, did you end up making it work?
Yes, took it to Beverly Hills Porsche and they programmed it... took about an hour. The new MF wheel has the heating function but I didn't enable it because more parts were needed.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:23 PM
PorscheK
Advanced

Yes, took it to Beverly Hills Porsche and they programmed it... took about an hour. The new MF wheel has the heating function but I didn't enable it because more parts were needed.
Congrat! How much did the dealer charge you for programming?

So the only equipment you need was the MF steering wheel? And do you have Sport Chrono? And where did you buy it? Suncoast charges $995 for the steering wheel and $700 to add MF and heating
Old 11-25-2018, 10:03 PM
Mr. Big
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ No, mine does not have Sport Chrono. I got the wheel from a friend of a friend for about $800 and sold my standard wheel for about the same price. You also need to get a clock spring for the heating feature to work which I didn't do. I went to two local dealers to get it programmed but both refused... went to BH and they charged me $225. I know that's a lot but sometimes you gotta bend over to get what you want when someone has the only stick in town.
Old 11-25-2018, 10:15 PM
PorscheK
Advanced

Talking

^^^ No, mine does not have Sport Chrono. I got the wheel from a friend of a friend for about $800 and sold my standard wheel for about the same price. You also need to get a clock spring for the heating feature to work which I didn't do. I went to two local dealers to get it programmed but both refused... went to BH and they charged me $225. I know that's a lot but sometimes you gotta bend over to get what you want when someone has the only stick in town.
Nice! So you basically got it for $225! I would consider that a great deal. I might need to visit BH if I really want to do the conversion. Does your friend’s friend still have more?
Old 12-05-2018, 07:44 PM
rdgatl
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yuan,
What was the final verdict on some cars needing programming and some not? I have a 2013 S PDK with sport design steering wheel. Would like to upgrade to 991.2 multi-function with paddles and small function **** now that you have an adapter to make that work. In an earlier post, you mentioned some cars worked without programming(?)
Thanks,
Renard

Quick Reply: 991.2 working multifunction wheel in a 991.1