Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone feel like they have a bulls eye on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:20 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do get that many (if not most) 911 drivers like the noise. What I don't get is why. Noise doesn't drive a car. Noise is a byproduct of an internal combustion engine. It is not a functional element.
Yeah; good point. That's why 'music' never caught on. It's just noise. Absolutely no purpose to it.
Nobody ever found a way to make a living making it, so: it no longer exists.
Old 09-10-2016, 10:31 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Yeah; good point. That's why 'music' never caught on. It's just noise. Absolutely no purpose to it.
Lol!! Bravo!
Old 09-10-2016, 11:07 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. Well, let me know when that 911 song hits the top 40.
Old 09-11-2016, 12:05 AM
Dirac
Advanced

Originally Posted by babyjocko
I see. Well, let me know when that 911 song hits the top 40.
There are no 911 owners that would rather listen to their PSE than the stereo?
Old 09-11-2016, 01:44 AM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOSUB2T
Really? What are you used to driving? A Bugatti? Sub 4K a .2 is still plenty quick.
lol no I'm referring to my GTS not a .2
Old 09-11-2016, 04:42 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 79 Posts

It's about how you drive your 911 as well. If you drive aggressively you'll be in crosshairs of others and that's creating a stereotype...
Old 09-11-2016, 10:12 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
It's about how you drive your 911 as well. If you drive aggressively you'll be in crosshairs of others and that's creating a stereotype...
Very true, let the 370Z drivers keep the aggressive driver stereotype on their side.

Also there are lots of comments about not being let in, I don't think you're supposed to be let in. I feel like my job as a driver is to find an open space and take it.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:44 AM
babyjocko
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Very true, let the 370Z drivers keep the aggressive driver stereotype on their side.
Also there are lots of comments about not being let in, I don't think you're supposed to be let in. I feel like my job as a driver is to find an open space and take it.
Absolutely agree. I always remember growing up seeing the sign entering the Lincoln Tunnel: Take Gap, Give Gap. In NYC, it's Take Gap. If you don't, somebody else will.

This is why I start with having a car that immediately responds on demand because I will take that gap...and then some. Some people car my driving aggressive. I call it assertive.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:33 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Yeah; good point. That's why 'music' never caught on. It's just noise. Absolutely no purpose to it. Nobody ever found a way to make a living making it, so: it no longer exists.
Mufflers were invented because internal combustion engines are very loud without any downstream control of the rapidly expanding gases resulting from each firing pulse. Slowing down that expansion within the confines of a car most often results in back pressure, which tends to rob power from the engine, as IC engines are really pumps that are most efficient when they operate wide open and with as little restriction possible. Noise control is inversely related to that wide open power. A very quiet exhaust slows down the exiting exhaust gases so much as to cause the engine to develop less than optimal power, all other things being held equal. This is why racing cars tend not to run mufflers of any kind, unless required by the rules of the organization or the track. Yes, you can optimize an exhaust to cause as little negative effect on power as possible, but there is no way to get a very quiet exhaust without some power reduction. Thus, over the years, enthusiasts tend to equate noisier exhausts with more power compared to a quieter, more muffled car. And they would not be wrong. Mostly. Today, there are ways to compensate for exhaust restriction, and exhausts are often optimized in performance cars so that there is very little if any gain to be had by going to a louder exhaust. But note that none of these cars is completely quiet, and due to legacy human nature, a louder exhaust is often perceived as making more power even if it isn't.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:37 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by beaverlake
Back to the OP's point - I'm a Seattle east-sider. In the past year we've experienced crazy van behavior in eastern Washington, various "wanna race" and "tailgate" episodes on the east and west sides. We've also toured western Canada and had yahoos in everything from a Prius (yes) to pickups do the race thing. And we've experienced dumb sh*t behavior in California on our way to Treffen Lake Tahoe. Before this year with a 981 BS and a 991 C2s cab - nothing. Now - I can't believe how many idiots want to do "something" to/with/against our C4s cab. It is truly baffling.
Hell, a couple of months ago I took a 15 minute test drive in a 2016 991S, and during the test drive I had a Mustang come flying up on the 991's rear end and then pass to the right. This guy wanted to race on an extremely busy four lane county road with traffic lights every 1/4 mile. I think he had that new Mustang GT350 and wanted to show me how fast his car was. Anyway the Mustang owner made sounds like a chicken when I declined to race him, and he sped off. It's unfortunate that they don't insist that the buyer of a high performance car have to pass a maturity test before they allow him to purchase the car.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:56 PM
roadrat
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 42 Posts

Not making this political, but there seems to be an increasing level of anger in large cities in the US. Perhaps it's the wealth gap, perhaps it's something else. Houston for example is a hotbed of angry people. So much so that I am planning my exit strategy within a year. I rarely drive my car.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:40 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by roadrat
Not making this political, but there seems to be an increasing level of anger in large cities in the US. Perhaps it's the wealth gap, perhaps it's something else. Houston for example is a hotbed of angry people. So much so that I am planning my exit strategy within a year. I rarely drive my car.
this is absolutely true. Overall quality of life is diminishing for many people. Wealth gap is widening etc. the population is increasing and so is the density in large cities. And it doesn't help that builders place homes right next to each other.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:56 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 670 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrat
As someone who lives in a similarly miserable climate (most of the year) I speculate it's the heat and humidity rather than a class envy thing.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:07 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
As someone who lives in a similarly miserable climate (most of the year) I speculate it's the heat and humidity rather than a class envy thing.
It's a solid theory. Look at all the problems there are in the middle east where it's miserable 365 days a year.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:59 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a teen in a Toyota "show me up" by flying past me doing ~60mph in a 35 zone today. Yep, I was impressed. Impressed that someone that stupid managed to figure out which pedal is the gas and which is the brake.

Quick Reply: Anyone feel like they have a bulls eye on their car?