Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone feel like they have a bulls eye on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 03:27 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

I had a girl follow me almost in my rear seat for almost 10 miles on I-10 in Phoenix...I mean she was soo close I couldn't see her front plate, grille or even the Kia emblem at times. I was soo glad when I got to my exit and got off. She wasn't doing it super maliciously but man was she on my azz. Other times I agree I've had to almost have someone get out and act as a spotter to let me safely merge into traffic. One day it was soo bad I wished I had a co-pilot with a minature stop light to just stand in front of me in traffic to let me in! Its not every day mind you but enough to remind you that you're driving a Porsche and the other guy is not too happy he/she is not!
Old 09-10-2016, 12:14 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

I have to confess, I was definitely "that" guy when i had a tuned 335i up until very recently. Not at the harassment level that some have experienced, but would def want/try to race any 911 or anything that looks fast, from GTRs to ferraris/lambos - the whole sleeper angle and the satisfaction that you'd get if you somehow built a car that is faster than some expensive car in a straight line - there is definitely something to be said about that, but maybe this isn't the audience.

So having switched to a 991.1 4s, I get it. I get why the typical 911 owner wouldn't really want to race some random tuned civic or what not. The 991 really is so fantastic, not a straight line car but an absolute beast on twisties, and you have nothing to prove - absolutely agreed. I do want to be that mature, and I know I should be. But I somehow do indulge. If my doppelganger from the past in some tuned looking 335i tries me - I will engage. Sometimes I lose, mostly I win, but hey I guess I haven't fully completed the transition to being a P-car owner. What was that marquez quote, something about not a rich man but a poor man w money? I guess this is the car equivalent of that.

People do get surprised it seems, when they run into a 911 owner who answers the call.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:30 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

911 is a mature sports coupe. Not a 0-60 straight line beast. With the exception of the .2s, most muscle cars, bikes and ricers will outpace it.

My GTS is definitely not a fast car. It's just that simple. I get the same performance from my jeep SRT. But that's not why I bought it. I think. Though I'm still in the break in period, I do at times yearn for the performance of something like the TTS. Cant wait to test drive the new GTS.

edit: one thing I can add is the exhaust note will be something to marvel at thirty years from now when most cars are automated electrics.

Last edited by Geiss; 09-10-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:39 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by erko1905
I have to confess, I was definitely "that" guy when i had a tuned 335i up until very recently. Not at the harassment level that some have experienced, but would def want/try to race any 911 or anything that looks fast, from GTRs to ferraris/lambos - the whole sleeper angle and the satisfaction that you'd get if you somehow built a car that is faster than some expensive car in a straight line - there is definitely something to be said about that, but maybe this isn't the audience.

So having switched to a 991.1 4s, I get it. I get why the typical 911 owner wouldn't really want to race some random tuned civic or what not. The 991 really is so fantastic, not a straight line car but an absolute beast on twisties, and you have nothing to prove - absolutely agreed. I do want to be that mature, and I know I should be. But I somehow do indulge. If my doppelganger from the past in some tuned looking 335i tries me - I will engage. Sometimes I lose, mostly I win, but hey I guess I haven't fully completed the transition to being a P-car owner. What was that marquez quote, something about not a rich man but a poor man w money? I guess this is the car equivalent of that.

People do get surprised it seems, when they run into a 911 owner who answers the call.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:39 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Geiss
911 is a mature sports coupe. Not a 0-60 straight line beast. With the exception of the .2s, most muscle cars, bikes and ricers will outpace it. My GTS is definitely not a fast car.
Isn't a 991 GTS tested at 3.5-3.6 0-60? If that isn't a fast car, what is it?
Old 09-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Isn't a 991 GTS tested at 3.5-3.6 0-60? If that isn't a fast car, what is it?
im going off official numbers, without launch control and subjective impressions while driving. 4s with launch and 4.4s without using launch control.

Im aware the real numbers might be better than the official numbers.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:44 PM
erko1905
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Agree w Geiss on straight line speed - to add, real life is a bit more about 40-100+ (theoretically speaking of course, I don't drive above speed limit) as opposed to 0-60 - Especially with a naturally aspirated nonGT3 991, i'd say you probably get walked by anything that puts down 400whp and higher that's not super heavy, so tuned 2-3 series bimmers, most Ms, some tuned stis/evos - all gtrs, possibly amgs -- a lot of these are cheaper cars than yours that'll admittedly handle much much worse.
Old 09-10-2016, 02:16 PM
Geiss
Instructor

Originally Posted by erko1905
Agree w Geiss on straight line speed - to add, real life is a bit more about 40-100+ (theoretically speaking of course, I don't drive above speed limit) as opposed to 0-60 - Especially with a naturally aspirated nonGT3 991, i'd say you probably get walked by anything that puts down 400whp and higher that's not super heavy, so tuned 2-3 series bimmers, most Ms, some tuned stis/evos - all gtrs, possibly amgs -- a lot of these are cheaper cars than yours that'll admittedly handle much much worse.
+1
Old 09-10-2016, 03:24 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 182 Likes on 97 Posts

911 is a mature sports coupe. Not a 0-60 straight line beast. With the exception of the .2s, most muscle cars, bikes and ricers will outpace it. My GTS is definitely not a fast car. It's just that simple. I get the same performance from my jeep SRT. But that's not why I bought it. I think. Though I'm still in the break in period, I do at times yearn for the performance of something like the TTS. Cant wait to test drive the new GTS. edit: one thing I can add is the exhaust note will be something to marvel at thirty years from now when most cars are automated electrics.
if you are in the break in period and staying below 4K RPMs than you have not experienced how fast this car actually is. 5-8k RPMs will put you back in your seat.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Geiss
Instructor

I'm truly hoping that's the case. Will be quite a while before I get there. Sub 4K, it feels like a 4cyl Honda, but I'm not complaining!
Old 09-10-2016, 04:25 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

It's always somewhat surprising to me how much I have to flog my 991S to keep up with minivans and Priuses from a stop. No question, it will do it if asked, but not without some drama. Big difference once up to speed and in it's element.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:07 PM
Aic9199
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been "hit on" a few times by modified BMWs and Subarus, but each time they lay off because 1) I don't engage with their antics and 2) I know they can see my kids in the back flailing their arms.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:28 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Back to the OP's point - I'm a Seattle east-sider. In the past year we've experienced crazy van behavior in eastern Washington, various "wanna race" and "tailgate" episodes on the east and west sides. We've also toured western Canada and had yahoos in everything from a Prius (yes) to pickups do the race thing. And we've experienced dumb sh*t behavior in California on our way to Treffen Lake Tahoe. Before this year with a 981 BS and a 991 C2s cab - nothing. Now - I can't believe how many idiots want to do "something" to/with/against our C4s cab. It is truly baffling.
Old 09-10-2016, 08:37 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,221 Likes on 738 Posts

cops love giving tickets to porsches
Old 09-10-2016, 09:23 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm truly hoping that's the case. Will be quite a while before I get there. Sub 4K, it feels like a 4cyl Honda, but I'm not complaining!
Really? What are you used to driving? A Bugatti? Sub 4K a .2 is still plenty quick.

Quick Reply: Anyone feel like they have a bulls eye on their car?