Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone feel like they have a bulls eye on their car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 03:09 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 560 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by babyjocko
Personally, I don't get the noise thing. To me, the ultimate car would be one that accelerates like a Tesla and handles like a Porsche. The Tesla Model S is almost there, but it is too large, too heavy, and its braking is not proportionate to its HP and torque.

The quietness of the Tesla adds to its appeal. I can zip right past you before you ever realize it.
Most disagree with you, Noise is great, it's why I have a Ferrari, and why most reviewers of the 991.2 say PSE is an essential option.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:16 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
Most disagree with you, Noise is great, it's why I have a Ferrari, and why most reviewers of the 991.2 say PSE is an essential option.
I don't disagree with that statement at all. I do get that many (if not most) 911 drivers like the noise. What I don't get is why. Noise doesn't drive a car. Noise is a byproduct of an internal combustion engine. It is not a functional element. But, hey...whatever makes you tick.

But, I would bet my house, whoever is first with a car that silently accelerates like a Tesla P100D (0-60 in 2.5") and handles like a 911 w PDCC, PASM, PCCB will win bigtime.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:49 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,874 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I don't disagree with that statement at all. I do get that many (if not most) 911 drivers like the noise. What I don't get is why. Noise doesn't drive a car. N.
Because most people buy sports cars because of their historical connection, albeit loose one, to race cars, and most people old enough to drive and afford a Porsche grew up listening to race cars that made beautiful mechanical noises. It may not drive the car, but it's a huge part of the overall driving experience for a large percentage of the sports car buying population.

As far as Tesla goes, I think you'd find that a large percentage of the 40+ sports car crowd wouldn't drive one regardless of how fast it goes 0-60 or how well it turns. Many of us would rather walk than drive a car with all the personality of a household appliance. And don't worry, by the time anyone (other than Porsche) builds a car that's as fast as a P100D and turns like a GT3RS, there won't be a driver involved anymore anyway. You'll be summoning it with your iPhone and then sitting facing backward in the front seat, facing the other occupants, all staring at your Instagram feeds and not talking to each other while the car drives you Starbucks.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:51 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Class warfare at its finest. Yes feel attack because you are. Just like the welfare recipients feel attacked because they feel justified for collecting on are arm.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

I don't disagree with that statement at all. I do get that many (if not most) 911 drivers like the noise. What I don't get is why. Noise doesn't drive a car. Noise is a byproduct of an internal combustion engine. It is not a functional element. But, hey...whatever makes you tick.

Each to their own, I agree. But, there's something visceral and elemental about that flat six and the sport exhaust. I understand it's designed to sound that way, but I still love it.

In a way, it reminds me of the sound of the old low bypass turbojets. My favorite quote still; from an old, bandit mustachioed, lizard skinned, reprobate Captain (said to me, as I hesitantly pushed up the thrust levers for the first time) -

"Go on boy. Push em up. Push them way up. Make them pop and crackle !"

Excuse the tread drift
Old 09-09-2016, 05:56 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't get the whole "bulls eye" thing. In two years of driving it every day in CA, I've seen a couple idiots that try to drive close or race, a few compliments from nice people, but the vast majority treat it with complete indifference. It might as well be a gray Camry.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But, I would bet my house, whoever is first with a car that silently accelerates like a Tesla P100D (0-60 in 2.5") and handles like a 911 w PDCC, PASM, PCCB will win bigtime.
The easiest explanation is by exploring human nature. Senses defines a feeling and feeling sometimes defies logic. The noise affects senses and is like a music to some people including me. Mr Spock looked at me strangely when I said this
Old 09-09-2016, 10:39 PM
babyjocko
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porscheforever
The easiest explanation is by exploring human nature. Senses defines a feeling and feeling sometimes defies logic. The noise affects senses and is like a music to some people including me. Mr Spock looked at me strangely when I said this
That's precisely how I see it. It's emotional - the alternative to logical, which it certainly cannot be since it does not functionally contribute towards the movement of the car.

This is why it doesn't work for me. My wife calls me Mr. Spock. OTOH, if it contributes towards the acceleration, handling, or braking of the car, all which 911 does quite well, then that's for me. If were as silent as a Tesla, that would be the icing on the cake! They would only see a passing blur. That would do it for me.

But, I know I can't win this argument on this board. So, that's all I have to say on this topic. Peace! (not a pun)
Old 09-09-2016, 10:46 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I think Teslas are nice but can't get past the weight and the still evolving infrastructure for electric cars. Driving around town no problem. Doing a multi-day road trip is another thing altogether. If the battery tech ever gets to a point where the energy density is at least in the ballpark of gas and the recharging is a similar time to putting gas in a car then the gas engine will be pretty much dead except as a vintage hobby. Might be pie in the sky stuff though. One of these days people will be talking about the good old days when 911s had gas engines! Until then I am enjoying my 3 liter twin turbo with the popping exhaust in sport mode!
Old 09-09-2016, 11:39 PM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Disagree totally! It's part of the experience. You better not risk your home on that one! No one likes a quiet wild ride!
Old 09-10-2016, 12:38 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
When I bought my 991.1 just a few weeks ago, I tested a .2 w/PSE but that sweet musical sound of the 911 was no more. Sure, the car was faster but it no longer "sounded" like a 911. Couldn't do it...
Old 09-10-2016, 12:46 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
Class warfare at its finest. Yes feel attack because you are. Just like the welfare recipients feel attacked because they feel justified for collecting on are arm.
I think around here its more about just being an 3$$. Sure, you can have your multi-million $ house and nobody seems to care but god forbid if you don't drive a Subaru or Prius then you are the devil.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:53 AM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Originally Posted by scooter100
When I bought my 991.1 just a few weeks ago, I tested a .2 w/PSE but that sweet musical sound of the 911 was no more. Sure, the car was faster but it no longer "sounded" like a 911. Couldn't do it...
Dude really? I couldn't disagree more. It is a beast. I get compliments all the time on the "sound". The PSE is addicting.

Unless you purchased at GTS I think you passed up a great car
Old 09-10-2016, 12:59 AM
scooter100
Instructor

Originally Posted by NOSUB2T
Dude really? I couldn't disagree more. It is a beast. I get compliments all the time on the "sound". The PSE is addicting.

Unless you purchased at GTS I think you passed up a great car
With the windows down, the turbo whine killed it for me. I bought a killer C4S.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:30 AM
NOSUB2T
Racer

Originally Posted by scooter100
With the windows down, the turbo whine killed it for me. I bought a killer C4S.
Understood! I love the C4S too. Enjoy it in good health

Quick Reply: Anyone feel like they have a bulls eye on their car?