Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 03:35 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R_Rated
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9459...rs-thread.html

Call them out here so others will be spared!
Yes, I'll do that. But I prefer to wait for this next install to be completed. I live in NJ, but bought the car in FL.... which is where I had purchased wrap #1. I inspected it in FL before trucking where I thought it looked great.

It was my inexperience and love for the car that I didn't see the problems then.

Car was trucked to NJ where I dealt with the first 2 NJ installers (one of which never responded to email or VM). The 3rd NJ installer will happen later today and finish on Friday, or over the weekend. Once I get the car back I'll lay out the list.
Old 08-17-2017, 07:36 AM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you mind PMing me the names? I'm planning to have my car done by a NJ installer right when I pick up my car soon. Hope the place I picked isn't one of your bad ones.

Thanks,

John
Old 08-18-2017, 12:46 AM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JW1
Do you mind PMing me the names? I'm planning to have my car done by a NJ installer right when I pick up my car soon. Hope the place I picked isn't one of your bad ones.

Thanks,

John
Detailers Domain in Nj did a great job on my 15 Range Rover when I bought it. Haven't had a problem with it. After a car wash it looks like new. Xpel with ceramic pro no fading or bumps. The ppf has survived the 4 seasons of NYC.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:10 PM
JW1
Racer

Hi JC,

For wraps with exposed edges, would putting extra layers of ceramic nano coating around the edges prevent dirt from collecting and sticking to the glue around the edges of the wrap over time?

Thank you,

John
Old 08-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by JW1
Hi JC,

For wraps with exposed edges, would putting extra layers of ceramic nano coating around the edges prevent dirt from collecting and sticking to the glue around the edges of the wrap over time?

Thank you,

John
I am unsure if you mean me but I can help you on that.

Nothing will stop grime build up on edges of film but it is possible that a coating will assist an owner with making it easier to clean off.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK
Just found this thread and had to comment on the original post. As bad as it was, mine makes it look like it was a perfect job!

Now get ready for this.....I paid $8,000 for an Xpel Ultimate full body wrap on my white Spyder (not a 911, but the principal is the same). I am now going back to have it entirely redone for the 4th time. Yep....that's a 4.

It looked great after the last install (which took 2-½ weeks), but after a couple months it started shrinking around the edges, showed separation gaps, peeling, and lots of edge dirt (easily seen with white). I thought they did a great job....initially.

I'm now taking it to a 3rd "authorized" Xpel installer to have the film completely re-applied. Xpel, so far, has covered the cost for the reapplications (which they should for $8K). However each time is getting more difficult. This last one which I'm having done this week took nearly a month of complaining to the Xpel HQ.

One thing more....of the two "authorized" dealers I've used in my state BOTH hardly ever/never returned phone calls or emails. NEVER! NADA! ZIP! GOOSE EGG! Not until I wrote to their HQ that I was going to name names on RL did I get anything accomplished.

So I'll report back how this 4th application goes. Who knows....maybe it'll look good. Wish me luck!

And please don't ask me why I paid $8K. I felt bad enough having had to explain it to my wife.
Was film lifting/peeling or had the film expanded and contracted which led to more noticeable edges or seam gaps?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:44 PM
JW1
Racer

Thanks JC. Yup, I was addressing the question to the resident expert, You. hahah

Thanks,

John
Old 08-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default What city in Florida

Can you PM me or tell me what City in Florida (I am getting ready to have mine done and looking for an installer).

Originally Posted by DannieK
Yes, I'll do that. But I prefer to wait for this next install to be completed. I live in NJ, but bought the car in FL.... which is where I had purchased wrap #1. I inspected it in FL before trucking where I thought it looked great.

It was my inexperience and love for the car that I didn't see the problems then.

Car was trucked to NJ where I dealt with the first 2 NJ installers (one of which never responded to email or VM). The 3rd NJ installer will happen later today and finish on Friday, or over the weekend. Once I get the car back I'll lay out the list.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:42 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Can you PM me or tell me what City in Florida (I am getting ready to have mine done and looking for an installer).
Designer detailers in Orlando FLA do good work . Fully wrapped my 911- 4S Suntek with Modesta

Last edited by Joenyc; 08-21-2017 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Not full written
Old 08-26-2017, 08:17 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And this is why we PPF:

Old 08-26-2017, 08:30 PM
JW1
Racer

You scraped a curb or someone scraped you? If it didn't make it through the PPF, great save.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:17 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by JW1
You scraped a curb or someone scraped you? If it didn't make it through the PPF, great save.
Neither. Dust from highway driving. I drove from middle of DE to Philadelphia and back. It was clean before I left this is what one medium road trip alone. I image some small pebbles flicked up. I'm not sure about the blue. I must have ran through some slushee or window wiper fluid.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:24 PM
JW1
Racer

That lower line that runs across from front to back sure looked like a scratch.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:49 PM
freeman727
Racer

Originally Posted by JW1
That lower line that runs across from front to back sure looked like a scratch.
I took a second look and it is symmetric on both sides. Attached are some pics. I will have to ask the PPF installer.

Old 08-26-2017, 09:52 PM
freeman727
Racer

I'm glad I posted. I didn't notice when they installed it that they used two separate pieces for each rear quarter panel. Is that normal? Should I go back and complain? Also it is already starting to peel after just 2 months. Normal?

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.