Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 03:42 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Nothing. I just peeled it off, and then any adhesive that was left, I used mineral spirits to remove, then a clay bar for the final residue.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:49 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
Nothing. I just peeled it off, and then any adhesive that was left, I used mineral spirits to remove, then a clay bar for the final residue.
Good to hear.....thanks.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:22 PM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

I am having Llumar Platinum placed on my vehicle but I was wondering how could I tell if Lllumar Platinum is actually used and not the lower grade Llumar?
Old 09-08-2017, 10:54 PM
Big997Fan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
I am having Llumar Platinum placed on my vehicle but I was wondering how could I tell if Lllumar Platinum is actually used and not the lower grade Llumar?
Any chance of being at the shop when they do it?
Old 09-09-2017, 12:16 AM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

Exactly. Trust but verify.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:05 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big997Fan
Any chance of being at the shop when they do it?
Headed up there today but wasn't able to be there when it was being done. It is the Porsche dealership but still concerned.....my father often said believe everyone but trust no one....
Old 09-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paolo1
Exactly. Trust but verify.
East coast people are savvy......born and raised in Brooklyn New York....we have all seen a thing or two....
Old 09-10-2017, 02:20 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

We are just back from a BMW European Delivery. My PPF dealer gave me some Xpel Ultimate to temporarily stick on for a 1000k tour of Europe. You can see it stuck on the front of the car on the Lake Como ferry. At the drop off we peeled it off and the car wash guys cleaned it easily. Paint still looks new, no paint residue on the film.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:37 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 768 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsch2018
My PPF has a 10 year warranty .....I guess I will evaluate at about the 7 year mark. I wonder is it the adhesive left in place for many years that can make removal of the PPF so challenging in some cases?
IMHO, it comes down to the frequency of sun/shade/hot/cold cycles. The more cycles, the more the adhesive is affected and goes through changes. If film is on a vehicle for many years, and owner is concerned on what the adhesive condition is, it would be prudent to remove a piece, assuming initial installation was done at same time, to see how adhesive is behaving.

For example, have a professional remove the piece on a mirror and see how it behaves. If easily removed, then you simply replace that piece and know you're in good shape everywhere else. If however, adhesive is left behind and a huge problem, then you know it may get worse with more time, and it might be better to remove all other PPF, and start new. Hope that helps
Old 09-13-2017, 05:01 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Porsche2018,

Just want to clear the air. Having the film on the vehicle for a certain amount of time will not determine if the paint will pull off. There is a proper removal process that involves a combination of a correct pull angle and asteamer, to ensure the film does not leave any adhesive behind. The heat from the steamer will soften the adhesive and make it easier to remove from the vehicle. Many years ago films would have this problem, but we have remedied the situation with advances in technology. If you would like to find more information on how to remove the film and general film care you can visit www.xpel.com/care.

If anybody has any more questions feel free to let us know and we will be glad to answer them.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:46 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Had Xpel installed on my black '12 Cayenne when I bought it 18 months ago. It was the installer's first Xpel job so he cut me a little discount. Had the hood, fenders, mirrors and one 12" strip on the front of the roof done. He had to strip off the old, yellowed clearbra (Florida truck), buff the hood. The only seam is where the Xpel ends on the roof, otherwise you have to open to the hood to tell there's something on there. It's been 30,000 miles, eighteen months and dozens of automatic carwashes and it still looks great. I couldn't be more pleased with the product and the install.
Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by TheUnscented
Had Xpel installed on my black '12 Cayenne when I bought it 18 months ago. It was the installer's first Xpel job so he cut me a little discount. Had the hood, fenders, mirrors and one 12" strip on the front of the roof done. He had to strip off the old, yellowed clearbra (Florida truck), buff the hood. The only seam is where the Xpel ends on the roof, otherwise you have to open to the hood to tell there's something on there. It's been 30,000 miles, eighteen months and dozens of automatic carwashes and it still looks great. I couldn't be more pleased with the product and the install.
I have not done any automatic car washes but it is nice to know it has no adverse effects.
Old 11-18-2018, 11:46 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Porsche paint chips just by looking at it. Really soft and not good overall. All this water based paint and clear coat junk. Where is good old solvent based stuff??

Others use water based too, but I think the other German brands have better paint.
agreed. It is easier to find a clean 997 with 50k miles than a clean 991 with 20k miles! The older paint just didn't chip. I was looking at a friend's 991.2 the other day: it had a HUGE rock chip in the door. My 997 has 5x the miles and the rock chips are simply pinheads. His chip was probably 3mm long and through the primer. Either it was a huge freaking piece of debris coming at him, or the paint simply isn't what it should be.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:22 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
Porsche2018,

Just want to clear the air. Having the film on the vehicle for a certain amount of time will not determine if the paint will pull off. There is a proper removal process that involves a combination of a correct pull angle and asteamer, to ensure the film does not leave any adhesive behind. The heat from the steamer will soften the adhesive and make it easier to remove from the vehicle. Many years ago films would have this problem, but we have remedied the situation with advances in technology. If you would like to find more information on how to remove the film and general film care you can visit www.xpel.com/care.

If anybody has any more questions feel free to let us know and we will be glad to answer them.

Thank you for clearing this up. Time shouldn't be an issue indeed when it comes to determining whether or not PPF will "pull" paint off with it.

Around what year would you say the advances in technology occurred? I would imagine quite a long time ago.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 AM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why doesn't Porsche offer wrapping at the factory? Prior to final assembly. Sounds like a good profit center. Do any marques brands do this (MB, BMW, Ferrari, Lambo, etc)?
Porsche does offer factory wraps. On 918's that is. Generally custom flat or frozen colors. Not sure if they do a clear PPF at the factory.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.