Old 11-21-2018, 11:51 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Once Upon A Time

Originally Posted by K-A
Thank you for clearing this up. Time shouldn't be an issue indeed when it comes to determining whether or not PPF will "pull" paint off with it.

Around what year would you say the advances in technology occurred? I would imagine quite a long time ago.
We came out with our ULTIMATE film in 2011 and that's when the whole market changed.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:36 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

Protective Film Solutions in Santa Ana, CA installed Xpel Ultimate on my RS and did a fantastic job. Installation quote included minor paint correction and removal of quarter windows, lights, and many other body parts to ensure an invisible application of the material. There were probably a half dozen new GT3 RS and GT3 there getting various packages installed when my car was there. Many of which are trucked down from the Bay area, San Diego, and Phoenix. Very good experience and I am 100% confident if any defect shows up that can be attributed to the installation they'll send a flat bed to pick the car up for repair and return it back to me in perfect condition.

Side note: I also had them install a windshield skin, another excellent job. I was happy to have the glass protected but I noticed the dash stitching reflection on the glass under certain lighting conditions was virtually eliminated.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:39 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Did you use clearplex or exosheild on your windshield , did they break out the cost to do windshield?
Old 11-23-2018, 07:48 PM
inverterman
Rennlist Member

Received 339 Likes on 189 Posts

Clearplex. Price was broken out.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:16 PM
MaynardZed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Although I prefer Suntek film, a good installer can do a good job with either.

The issue here? An incompetent installer!
Agreed. I had Suntek done on my old M4 by a Indy shop. You couldn’t even tell it had a film on there.

The dealer installed Xpel on Porsche ain’t great. Gaps far away from the edges especially on the bumper.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:30 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

I will only get my work done from a dealership or Porsche authorized repair center now.
i had already learned my lesson from a ****ty installer who cracked both of my front headlights and did a **** job overall. I thought the bumper was cracked lucky was just clear bra in that case.
i turned it over to insurance company... they went after him.
i had authorized repair center replace both headlights and redue this shops crappy clear bra.

i will ever trust a joes shop again aka Indy or friend of a friend.

i had. 997 prior my 991 and went through dealership to have clear bra installed no problems.

do it myself or have someone accountable working on it

be aware people.. you own a Porsche take it to the dealership

Old 11-23-2018, 11:35 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by snake eyes
I will only get my work done from a dealership or Porsche authorized repair center now.
i had already learned my lesson from a ****ty installer who cracked both of my front headlights and did a **** job overall. I thought the bumper was cracked lucky was just clear bra in that case.
i had authorized repair center replace both headlights and redue this shops crappy clear bra.

i had. 997 prior my 991 and went through dealership to have clear bra installed no problems.

of course I vigorously disagree, but glad you are having a good experience and getting what you want
Old 11-23-2018, 11:55 PM
orclean1
Burning Brakes

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Anyone looking for an PPF and windshield protection installer on LI NY , pm me I have one that did my car with Suntek & Clearplex job was a 99 out of 100 . My car is available to view if need be
Old 11-24-2018, 04:10 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

That's a great way to get hosed on having to pay a middle man who will have an outside vendor who's worse than the best person for the job- that you can find yourself via sources like Yelp- do the job. And many people have issues with dealers quality of work or handling a car as well.

The best route to go if you ask me, is always searching for the highest rated, best people who can do a job. They hold themselves to a standard than any lessor vendor the dealer may use, who you won't even be able to meet and have firsthand rapport with. You just have to be sure the person you use is vouched for and can do the job. These people treat their work as an art and they're true craftsman. This goes for servicing, repairs, mods, etc.
Old 11-24-2018, 02:37 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default disagree 100%

The people I trust the very least is the dealer. Have a mobile shop do it at your house and watch if you really want to mitigate risk. A dealer is gonna hire a subcontractor you never get to speak with or meet to judge character. Also, the dealer markup is normally 100 to 500 percent.

Old 11-24-2018, 03:56 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
That's a great way to get hosed on having to pay a middle man who will have an outside vendor who's worse than the best person for the job- that you can find yourself via sources like Yelp- do the job. And many people have issues with dealers quality of work or handling a car as well.

The best route to go if you ask me, is always searching for the highest rated, best people who can do a job. They hold themselves to a standard than any lessor vendor the dealer may use, who you won't even be able to meet and have firsthand rapport with. You just have to be sure the person you use is vouched for and can do the job. These people treat their work as an art and they're true craftsman. This goes for servicing, repairs, mods, etc.
Your wrong.
im not going to drop names here but the PCA recommended this guy that ****ed up my car and than shipped me said ****ed up car... refused to give insurance info.. but that’s water under the bridge.

your car do what you want

insurance. Is there to protect you.
what middle man?! Call up your local Porsche dealership and ask for authorized (collision repair center) I had them do it directly.
So happens they work on Lamborghini and Audi as well.. also mclaren authorized. Aston etc.
they did the clear bra directly.
Legal fact a dealership is more accountable than some random Indy shop LLC.. good luck going after an independent. I’ve never had bad dealership experience where if something wasn’t right they didn’t man up and repair it. Also good luck getting any Porsche goodwill out of warranty....
oh ya and Porsche Will get involved if you have issues with a Porsche dealership.

i screwed up once never again for me.

im just warning all of you guys playing with fire but do as you like
Old 11-24-2018, 03:57 PM
saundebn
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer just offered me a set of PPF packages, clearly indicating that it was Suntek and with a number of options in terms of coverage and levels of custom wrapping. A fairly easy check with Suntek shows that there is really only one certified local installer for Suntek and it seems conveniently located within a few miles of the dealership. My guess is that this is the very shop that they are outsourcing to for the work. I've already sent a message off to the installer directly and should hear back from them on Monday regarding pricing (that should be lower given the dealer will be cut out of the loop).

At this point, I've likely got two installers to choose between, one with Xpel Ultimate Plus and the other Suntek Ultra. The first did our Tesla with a custom full frontal plus a few extra features and the install seems quite clean. If the latter comes in with reasonable pricing, I'll need to investigate them further in order to make a call as to which to use for the new car.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:25 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Each dealer has an installer they work with. They could be the worst in the area or the best. So of course people's experiences at different dealerships will vary.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:58 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Each dealer has an installer they work with. They could be the worst in the area or the best. So of course people's experiences at different dealerships will vary.
For some reason the guy thinks the indy installer can not be researched just as easily as the dealer's who is, wait for it.... an indy.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:39 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
The people I trust the very least is the dealer. Have a mobile shop do it at your house and watch if you really want to mitigate risk. A dealer is gonna hire a subcontractor you never get to speak with or meet to judge character. Also, the dealer markup is normally 100 to 500 percent.
Exactly. This especially goes for paintless dent repair. Dealers charge 3 times what you’d pay the highest rated guy in your city to do, and you have no idea who they use.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.