Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 09:39 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
probably normal for that installer, but not for a great installer. stuff like most of that comes down to attention to detail. Most installers just don't have it, only a few are truly great.
Yeah, unfortunately xpel will say it is normal... Please post in the community PPF thread.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:57 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hypeber
i think i am fxxked up too from the installer i went. The told me is normal...i do not believe this is normal though. I sent an email to xpel now, waiting for the response. Installed a month ago...and looks like this now...
Hi Hypeber,

Didn't see an email come through, can you please send an email to marketing@xpel.com. Thank you. Also please include your contact information as well as the installer, as we will need to reach out to them

The first step would be to contact your installer about the installation quality. We've installed countless pre-cut kits on these cars, with zero issues, the installer may need to redo some sections that are not fitted correctly.

We sponsor this forum to help and inform, we can assure you that the film, installed correctly (as many have said) looks great.

Please include your contact information as well as the installer, as we will need to reach out to them.

marketing@xpel.com

Last edited by XPEL; 11-08-2016 at 11:07 AM. Reason: added more
Old 11-08-2016, 11:04 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
Hi Hypeber, Didn't see an email come through, can you please send an email to marketing@xpel.com. Thank you. Also please include your contact information as well as the installer, as we will need to reach out to them
Props, Xpel, for being proactive and on top of things.
Old 11-08-2016, 11:08 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap
Props, XPEL, for being proactive and on top of things..
Thanks TC, glad to be back in the office after SEMA
Old 11-08-2016, 11:12 AM
R_Rated
Banned

I believe when the COO of Xpel got involved; my situation was handled very swiftly and professionally FWIW.

Unfortunately Xpel relies on it's installer network for labor and doesn't have a great way to manage quality control - There really is none...

Perhaps; Xpel, could you start a thread that discusses the real standards that are expected? How many air bubbles there can be, ripples, amount of orange peel, etc? Again - Xpel really stepped up to help me resolve an issue with a poor installer but part of the expectation is that the marketing material states you won't be able to see it on the car, completely transparent, etc. It's good, however the information on the website is a bit misleading. Likely there is inherent risk with people raising their hands that their install isn't as good.... so there is understanding if you don't respond. Just a thought... insert that Kermit meme with tea and but that's none of my business...
Old 11-08-2016, 02:51 PM
amre
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I know XPEL is a reputable manufacturer and fully stands behind its product. I had mine done at the dealership prior to taking delivery and I've had some issues with it recently (namely two scratches that make it an eyesore). I cannot say for sure those scratches were defects but my dealer put me in touch with the XPEL rep and he is willing to repair any damage under warranty. I have not been able to take the time to bring him the car but yesterday I decided to remove the XPEL off one of the front fenders. This was a section that was going to be repaired anyway.

I was astonished at the visual difference between the panels that are covered and those uncovered and it made me wonder why we spend money protecting the paint job and polishing every inch of our cars when the actual product we apply to protect the beautiful paint job makes the paint job look less than beautiful.

See for yourself and let me know your thoughts. By no means am I bashing XPEL or any other protective film for that matter. It does its job; to protect the paint.

However, in doing its job, the paint does not look great in my humble opinion.

It's ironic really...

I'm confused!
Attached Images   
Old 11-08-2016, 02:52 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

we have to keep them perfect for the next owner after we sell them!
Old 11-08-2016, 03:25 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by amre
I know XPEL is a reputable manufacturer and fully stands behind its product. I had mine done at the dealership prior to taking delivery and I've had some issues with it recently (namely two scratches that make it an eyesore). I cannot say for sure those scratches were defects but my dealer put me in touch with the XPEL rep and he is willing to repair any damage under warranty. I have not been able to take the time to bring him the car but yesterday I decided to remove the XPEL off one of the front fenders. This was a section that was going to be repaired anyway.

I was astonished at the visual difference between the panels that are covered and those uncovered and it made me wonder why we spend money protecting the paint job and polishing every inch of our cars when the actual product we apply to protect the beautiful paint job makes the paint job look less than beautiful.

See for yourself and let me know your thoughts. By no means am I bashing XPEL or any other protective film for that matter. It does its job; to protect the paint.

However, in doing its job, the paint does not look great in my humble opinion.

It's ironic really...

I'm confused!
It looks yellowed. With so many good scratch and dent repair products I think I'd rather go that way.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:30 PM
amre
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gary JR
It looks yellowed. With so many good scratch and dent repair products I think I'd rather go that way.
Exactly! I actually had a gentleman pay me a "compliment" in a parking lot last week about how he likes the "Off White" color of my car and how it's unique! I kept my mouth shut and thanked him!
Old 11-08-2016, 04:44 PM
mmaturo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could have used further help on my mess that is still a mess well over a year later and I'm still owed. You guys (Eric Keller) did the right thing and covered the film of my reinstall after one of your authorized installers did a very bad job (damaged my car) and I had it redone at an excellent shop in my area. However the guy that did my first install had the audacity to send an attorney letter to me recently for posting on this forum negative comments. Not when it is all truth and also I have plenty of evidence. Bet our guys that really posted everything here above didn't get attorney letters. Well he still has not reimbursed me for a damaged trim part he agreed to cover and also has not reimbursed me for my labor cost I was fairly after with him and have tried to contact him repeatedly. So he has kept the full amount I paid him while you ate the film cost and he has not reimbursed me for his labor which is only fair considering the damage to my car which needed additional paint correction and thanks to damaged headlights removal of the UV coating and a reapplication of an aftermarket coating on them all at my cost. Minimum he owes me 1088.75 for the cost of the broken trim part and the rest of his labor cost left after deducting the reimbursed film cost off the total you guys did for me. So still pissed. Case #5554.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:15 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Try a case with the BBB.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,219 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by amre
Mine also yellowed on my 2015 Cayman - one year. I never noticed it on other cars that I had PPF installed, but on a white car it shows. After a lot of thought, I have decided not to use the film on my car coming in. If it gets some road chips, I am going to consider them as good memories of the car on the road. And when there are enough of them, I'll go get them corrected for a hell of a lot less money than applying this stuff all over the car, reapplying when it starts to peel or ages, cleaning edges, and so on. It's just been a bother on every car I've had it applied. Besides, I love to wax the paint on my car, not plastic. IMO, it's not worth it.

P.S. I didn't put it on my new BMW, either.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:52 PM
R_Rated
Banned

How'd you guys get a 911R? Wanna sell it?
Old 11-08-2016, 06:53 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Mine also yellowed on my 2015 Cayman - one year. I never noticed it on other cars that I had PPF installed, but on a white car it shows. After a lot of thought, I have decided not to use the film on my car coming in. If it gets some road chips, I am going to consider them as good memories of the car on the road. And when there are enough of them, I'll go get them corrected for a hell of a lot less money than applying this stuff all over the car, reapplying when it starts to peel or ages, cleaning edges, and so on. It's just been a bother on every car I've had it applied. Besides, I love to wax the paint on my car, not plastic. IMO, it's not worth it.

Sounds like the approach I have to take with my 2 tone Daytona...
Old 11-09-2016, 10:45 AM
amre
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

I agree. This was the first car that I bought (and I've had probably 30+) that I decided to apply PPF on. I don't get the same satisfaction of washing/waxing that I did without the film! Go figure!

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.