Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 01:11 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

Originally Posted by Detailed Designs
A quality product applied properly? Absolutely.

Shoddy prep work and application? Waste of money.
+1...to add, clear bra is a porous material, much more so than paint. Nano coatings, with their inherent smaller particle size, densely pack themselves in the pores of the film, forming a 3-d-like mesh of *****. The dirt and contamination now sits on the nano layer, and not the clear bra. You can achieve the same results if you use a compatible sealant without petrochemicals that would have adverse reactions with the film. The difference is, as it was explained to me, imagine nano particles are the size of a small marble and a wax/sealant particles are the equivalent of planet earth. Hard to fathom, but hopefully that helps illustrate the comparison and why nano coatings, when applied correctly, do a far superior job than traditional methods as it relates to protection and durability.
Old 06-05-2017, 01:27 PM
Randy Bradley
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a good installer for either XPEL or Suntek in the Dayton/Cincinnati area? Thanks!
Old 06-05-2017, 02:08 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Check out PPF community thread.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:38 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

A warranty covers you against manufacturer defects and obviously the installer is accountable for labor/craftsmanship issues. Manufacturer defects would be top coat/adhesive problems, cracking and discoloration.

But here's the thing. All film will age over time. What is not covered is normal wear and tear/exposure.

This bell curve image I created is based upon my opinion. A warranty does not mean film will "last 10 years". It means the manufacturer is accountable for defects for 10 years. What accelerates wear and tear? The care and exposure as outlined here. In short, and just like pretty much everything else in life, the better care you take of your film the longer it will last and look great.

Thanks.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:27 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Thanks.
You are welcome.
Old 06-05-2017, 03:59 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

A warranty covers you against manufacturer defects and obviously the installer is accountable for labor/craftsmanship issues. Manufacturer defects would be top coat/adhesive problems, cracking and discoloration.

But here's the thing. All film will age over time. What is not covered is normal wear and tear/exposure.
I am still not sure what your point is but here is my Xpel warranty from my installer and I am satisfied with it.

"It has the longest warranty, covering for 10 years and is guaranteed not to yellow, stain, crack, blister, or delaminate. This warranty is nationwide and will be honored of by any Xpel certified dealer."
Old 06-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gary JR
I am still not sure what your point is but here is my Xpel warranty from my installer and I am satisfied with it.

"It has the longest warranty, covering for 10 years and is guaranteed not to yellow, stain, crack, blister, or delaminate. This warranty is nationwide and will be honored of by any Xpel certified dealer."
Wear and tear is more likely to be a reason to replace the film than a warranty issue. The chart identifies what common wear and tear will do to film.

10 years is not the longest warranty on PPF though. Unless they have changed it, Nano-Fusion has a "lifetime" warranty and others have 10 year warranties now too. I am not knocking Xpel but they aren't the only company offering a long term warranty anymore. CCL has been offering a lifetime warranty on PPF for about 5'ish years and Ventureshield offered a lifetime warranty more than 7 years ago.

The point is that a warranty will cover obvious issue with the film. But they will still age. And no matter what a warranty says, film will discolor over time. But a warranty is actually pretty nice protection against that. Still....it will discolor. More noticeably on white. 99.9% of people will never notice it due to the color of the car and the fact it gets beat up over years of use with what would otherwise destroy a paint's finish. Something will age with use. That is an absolute.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:07 PM
GBRider
Cruisin'

Anyone use Appearance Solutions is Sacramento? I'm looking for feedback on them. I will be taking my C2S Cab to them from the dealer hopefully in the next week. They are an authorized installer and do only Xpel installations & tint.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Wear and tear is more likely to be a reason to replace the film than a warranty issue. The chart identifies what common wear and tear will do to film.

10 years is not the longest warranty on PPF though. Unless they have changed it, Nano-Fusion has a "lifetime" warranty and others have 10 year warranties now too. I am not knocking Xpel but they aren't the only company offering a long term warranty anymore. CCL has been offering a lifetime warranty on PPF for about 5'ish years and Ventureshield offered a lifetime warranty more than 7 years ago.

The point is that a warranty will cover obvious issue with the film. But they will still age. And no matter what a warranty says, film will discolor over time. But a warranty is actually pretty nice protection against that. Still....it will discolor. More noticeably on white. 99.9% of people will never notice it due to the color of the car and the fact it gets beat up over years of use with what would otherwise destroy a paint's finish. Something will age with use. That is an absolute.
Ok time ages things. Got it.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:55 PM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

UPDATE: Nevermind. Found out the answer. The clamps are still there.

Hi Jean-Claude,

For the 991.2 TTS, since the bumper now needs to be dropped in order for the headlights to be removed, has Porsche done away with the retaining clamps that hold the bumper to the fender located under the headlight? For the 991.1 TTS, I see that you would have to first remove the headlights so that you could access those retaining clamps before the front bumper would come loose.

Thanks,

John

Last edited by JW1; 06-10-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-13-2017, 12:37 AM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JW1
UPDATE: Nevermind. Found out the answer. The clamps are still there.

Hi Jean-Claude,

For the 991.2 TTS, since the bumper now needs to be dropped in order for the headlights to be removed, has Porsche done away with the retaining clamps that hold the bumper to the fender located under the headlight? For the 991.1 TTS, I see that you would have to first remove the headlights so that you could access those retaining clamps before the front bumper would come loose.

Thanks,

John
There are clips but they attach to the front fenders on the inner portion between the headlights and the frunk.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:01 AM
JW1
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks JC. I found a great unlisted video from a fellow Rennlister that illustrated the steps that were different for removing a 991.2 TT front bumper.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:49 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Randy Bradley
Can anyone recommend a good installer for either XPEL or Suntek in the Dayton/Cincinnati area? Thanks!
Yes I used Invizashield in Milford Ohio, for both my expel installation and Ceramic Pro. Excellent results ask for John

24 WHITNEY Dr, sUITE i, mILFORD, OH 45150

Home
About Us
Services
Contact Us
Links
Events Blog

Invizashield, LLC BBB Business Review

Special Financing Options NOW available on qualifying purchases*!

6 & 12 month deferred interest plans -

call for details!

513-703-4235

* subject to credit approval

Your Choice for XPEL clear bra, window tint, CeramicPro, Windshield Armor in the Cincinnati Area!

Google+

OUR TEAM

OUR PRODUCT

Car pick up and delivery available, on-site installation or dealership installation.

OurHours:

We work around your schedule!

We use XPEL Ultimate Paint Protection Film, custom cut on a plotter to fit your vehicle just right!

We are now offering XPEL Prime Window Tint. It’s the finest window film available at any price, and is guaranteed for the life of the car.

Also, CeramicPro packages are available through our shop via our partnership with CarZmedics - more information on our Services page.

Recently added: Windshield Armor - an added layer of security on your windshield.

ABOUT

Our installers have over 20 years of paint protection film installation experience between them! They will gladly answer any questions at any time! Just call us!

InvizaShield is your clear choice for Automotive Protection in Cincinnati.

We are a superior installation expert of XPEL clear bra, window tint, CeramicPro, Windshield Armor in Cincinnati.

Call us for your XPEL paint protection needs.

About

513-703-4235
Old 08-14-2017, 10:57 AM
Porsch2018
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Does anyone know of a skilled XPEL guy or girl in the Austin Texas area?

Last edited by Porsch2018; 08-14-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:12 AM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used XPEL twice on my cars. It's great film. Your installer just sucked big time. I would not be happy with that either.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.