Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 01:24 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
PFF is to the current car business what Scotchguard and undercoating was to the 80's car biz.
Disagree. Scotchguard and undercoating was a scam at 400% makeup that did nothing. PPF, whether you like the look or don't, does an excellent job of protecting your paint from road chips. If you are saying they charge a huge markup, maybe so but at least it works and is not a scam.
Old 06-01-2017, 01:55 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 748 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
Disagree. Scotchguard and undercoating was a scam at 400% makeup that did nothing. PPF, whether you like the look or don't, does an excellent job of protecting your paint from road chips. If you are saying they charge a huge markup, maybe so but at least it works and is not a scam.
+1...ppf is definitely not a gimmick, and I'm not just saying that as an installer. We have countless situations where the film has saved the paint underneath...I'll post a few photos later today.

As mentioned, the cost is what it is depending on your area and skill of installer. But, this isn't a commodity like tires where a Michelin tire can be shopped around as it's the same tire no matter where you go. Shopping for clear bra is like searching for a doctor, lawyer, financial adviser, etc. You want the best you can afford.

As a matter of fact, we have a beautiful GT silver 991 GTS Cab that had ppf installed elsewhere and has deep cuts in the paint below both headlights. We sometimes see cuts when we remove old film and usually can polish them down to make them less visible or eliminated, so not end of the world.

Unfortunately, for this client, repainting the bumper, around $1200-1500, is the only solution to make it go away.

So, not sure that's worth saving a few hundred $$$ shopping a clear bra installer around town. Car will never be original again and wasn't worth the savings in retrospect.

And to clarify, truly, there is no film on the market that is "invisible" or optically clear that you cannot see a slight yellowish hue. Installers and marketing folks at ppf companies needs to share the truth...but to almost 90%+ of people, the claims are in fact true...if installed correctly, which means you pay a premium, not many can tell if there's film there or that it isn't pure white/clear in opacity.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:20 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
PFF is to the current car business what Scotchguard and undercoating was to the 80's car biz.
Only much better. Welcome to this century.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:04 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

A couple of things - there is incredible markup on the film but IMO some don't charge enough for their labor... The GOOD ones.

The issue with PPF is the marketing expectations. When you read about the finish and transparency its not going to align with real world results from top installers much less the bulk mass of the bell curve installers. There IS absolutely orange peel on Xpel film - if Xpel says otherwise then for the second time around, I got bad film and would like a refund.

The other thing they don't tell you is that there is some margin for installer bubbles and errors on film.... pre install marketing wants you to believe it will be completely unnoticeable but this just simply isn't the case.

The TRUTH is that is is very good and the trade off in protection outweighs the slightly less desirable finish.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:39 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
If I didn't have Derek, you would definitely be my first choice, but he has always done me solid.
Our styles of wrapping are different from one another but he does great work for his style. Glad to have him as a local shop. So no worries from me!
Old 06-01-2017, 03:45 PM
Detailed Designs
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
+1...ppf is definitely not a gimmick, and I'm not just saying that as an installer. We have countless situations where the film has saved the paint underneath...I'll post a few photos later today.

As mentioned, the cost is what it is depending on your area and skill of installer. But, this isn't a commodity like tires where a Michelin tire can be shopped around as it's the same tire no matter where you go. Shopping for clear bra is like searching for a doctor, lawyer, financial adviser, etc. You want the best you can afford.

As a matter of fact, we have a beautiful GT silver 991 GTS Cab that had ppf installed elsewhere and has deep cuts in the paint below both headlights. We sometimes see cuts when we remove old film and usually can polish them down to make them less visible or eliminated, so not end of the world.

Unfortunately, for this client, repainting the bumper, around $1200-1500, is the only solution to make it go away.

So, not sure that's worth saving a few hundred $$$ shopping a clear bra installer around town. Car will never be original again and wasn't worth the savings in retrospect.

And to clarify, truly, there is no film on the market that is "invisible" or optically clear that you cannot see a slight yellowish hue. Installers and marketing folks at ppf companies needs to share the truth...but to almost 90%+ of people, the claims are in fact true...if installed correctly, which means you pay a premium, not many can tell if there's film there or that it isn't pure white/clear in opacity.
+1
Old 06-01-2017, 04:07 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

How does one find a "good" installer? I'm sure employees change regularly and have bad days etc.?
Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
How does one find a "good" installer? I'm sure employees change regularly and have bad days etc.?
That's the problem with all of the trades. We had so many bad subcontractors on our renovation project.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:12 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Here is one place to start:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9459...rs-thread.html

I'd recommend going to look at people's work. It won't take long before you can tell the difference. PCA gatherings are also a good place to look at work and get feedback.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:33 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Yeah, because there's no margin in selling plastic film for $1,200...

Old 06-01-2017, 04:38 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Are you guys protecting/saving the finish for the next owner?. Even bumper and mirrors must get pitted with PPF over time? So do you replace the film regularly? . I really don't get it.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Are you guys protecting/saving the finish for the next owner?. Even bumper and mirrors must get pitted with PPF over time? So do you replace the film regularly? . I really don't get it.
My grandkids will be the next owners and I'm young(I think I am at least).

The bumpers and mirrors will not be pitted with Xpel.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:41 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

It's like this. Skip to 1:45...

Old 06-01-2017, 04:45 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

I kind of agree...............
To each his own.
Old 06-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

My Xpel Ultimate has this. May just study up some to "get it".

"It has the longest warranty, covering for 10 years and is guaranteed not to yellow, stain, crack, blister, or delaminate. This warranty is nationwide and will be honored of by any Xpel certified dealer."

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.