Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017, 09:47 PM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 43 Posts

I am surely the minority in this option, but I feel like putting clear-bra products on your car is like putting plastic over your couches at home. Who are you saving it for? I rather have rock chips and road marks than a yellowing plastic film over my car.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:59 PM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by wisky
I am surely the minority in this option, but I feel like putting clear-bra products on your car is like putting plastic over your couches at home. Who are you saving it for? I rather have rock chips and road marks than a yellowing plastic film over my car.
I can see your pov, but for example, I bought my amg GT s last year, had it for less than one week, was on the highway doing 50-55 mph and from an overpass or the gridlocked traffic going in the other direction, somebody threw a hard boiled egg really really hard at my car. It hit my front left quarter panel and windshield, scared the **** out of me, a bit more and it would have hit me as I had the window half down.
I immediately took it to a very good detailer, I got there within 45 minutes, and he went to work. There was damage to the film that surely saved the paint, on my brand new car.
So I felt like it paid for itself right then.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:27 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I felt the same way until I ordered my 991.2. Unlike BMW and Mercs, Porsche's wedge shape means small rocks kicked up by vehicles in front of you can hit pretty much the entire front area including frunk. I had film installed on the front fenders, frunk, bumper, mirrors and rocker panels. Ironically the first rock to hit my car was the right 'A' pillar that I did not to cover with film. Go figure!!
Old 05-29-2017, 10:35 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
I believe I read in this thread (it's so so long and filled with pain) that there are perhaps only 5 clear film installers across the nation who can be considered the best of the best. Can someone here step up and share their thoughts on who they are? I am most interested in those in the NYC metro area, but as a service to all, the nationwide 5 would be great. Many thanks and be careful out there.
Detailed Design Auto Spa, if you are in the Atlanta area. Jean Claude, the owner, and his crew are meticulous and know what they are doing. He is expensive but I wouldn't trust my ride with anyone else. He custom cuts for every area.
Old 05-30-2017, 01:05 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 621 Posts

Except...the good clear-bra films are nearly invisible, tend to hide the smaller hits that would leave pock marks in paint, and don't squeak when you sit on them.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,465 Likes on 2,813 Posts

Originally Posted by ATLBond
Detailed Design Auto Spa, if you are in the Atlanta area. Jean Claude, the owner, and his crew are meticulous and know what they are doing. He is expensive but I wouldn't trust my ride with anyone else. He custom cuts for every area.
Never been able to get the logistics to work, but I've talked to Jean Claude on a number of occasions and he seems to be obsessive about detail and a total professional. I like that. I would absolutely trust my vehicle with him.

Other than some outstanding guys like JC, etc., the simple fact is that alot of these Xpel installers don't care about the small details. Lift marks, silvering, ragged edges, off center holes. These guys are probably used to doing contract work for dealers and putting clear bras with half hoods on a fleet of pickup trucks. I've had the same problem finding a decent tint shop. Alot of these guys are sketchy and cannot see or care what may bother the hell out of an owner. They are used to doing a "looks good at 10 feet" job, whereas I'm looking for "10 inch" results

Personally, I'm still undecided. I've had my car for a few weeks - there is a feel and look of raw metal and paint that is lost with Xpel. There is no way around the simple physics of putting a plastic layer over the paint. If you are willing to do the work and don't do a lot of highway miles, then nothing beats the glow and feel of naked paint with a great wax/sealer job.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:21 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

You got this part right.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:14 AM
trucheli
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by amre
I know XPEL is a reputable manufacturer and fully stands behind its product. I had mine done at the dealership prior to taking delivery and I've had some issues with it recently (namely two scratches that make it an eyesore). I cannot say for sure those scratches were defects but my dealer put me in touch with the XPEL rep and he is willing to repair any damage under warranty. I have not been able to take the time to bring him the car but yesterday I decided to remove the XPEL off one of the front fenders. This was a section that was going to be repaired anyway.

I was astonished at the visual difference between the panels that are covered and those uncovered and it made me wonder why we spend money protecting the paint job and polishing every inch of our cars when the actual product we apply to protect the beautiful paint job makes the paint job look less than beautiful.

See for yourself and let me know your thoughts. By no means am I bashing XPEL or any other protective film for that matter. It does its job; to protect the paint.

However, in doing its job, the paint does not look great in my humble opinion.

It's ironic really...

I'm confused!
That's exactly why I have chosen Suntek over Xpel. I looked at both rolls and I could see the yellow tint on the glue. I have a white car also. After two years my PPF looks as good as the day it was installed. I do not use any coating on the film (IMHO another marketing gimmick to sell you on an extra expense that you don't need), just wash regularly and take bugs off asap with Chemical Guys Clear Seal Gloss Enhancer & Protectant.

Last edited by trucheli; 05-30-2017 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:45 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,184 Likes on 711 Posts

I was working in the garage a few months ago, drilling in an overhead heater in the garage. Used an electric drill with a hex bit. When I finished drilling, the bit got stuck in the screw. When I tried to remove it, it slipped out of my hand and went flying onto the frunk. I was pissed, but after careful examination, the clear bra did its job. Small indentation in the clear bra, which eventually healed itself. If it was not for the clear bra, a definite chip in the frunk and maybe even an indentation.

Pay now or pay later to repaint. Individual choice.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:47 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 735 Likes on 388 Posts

As others have mentioned, with newer technology films that don't yellow like the old days, and nano coatings to further aid in protection of the film. With the right installer, many cannot tell the difference between a panel that has film on it and an adjacent one that is paint only.

IMHO, it shouldn't be about the next guy who'll buy your car, rather, you knowing you can look at a pristine surface for your own pleasure for many years to come.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,869 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Except...the good clear-bra films are nearly invisible, tend to hide the smaller hits that would leave pock marks in paint, and don't squeak when you sit on them.
None of the films are nearly invisible. It's easy to tell when a car has PFF on it, even the latest films.
Old 05-30-2017, 05:54 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
None of the films are nearly invisible. It's easy to tell when a car has PFF on it, even the latest films.
I think this is the biggest problem with that industry. With marketing claims like this there is always going to be customer satisfaction issues. There is absolutely no film that is the same visually and texturally as paint. Many installs are very good but it makes life hard on these installers when consumers read the propaganda on the websites for PPF companies. Expectations set by the product companies are just unrealistic.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:16 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

I got a rock chip on a non forward facing location. If you're gonna clear bra, do all painted surfaces. Yes it's overkill but you will feel like crap after you get your first chip/scratch.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Certainly not in my experience with the random observer.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Speed2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Certainly not in my experience with the random observer.
+1

I got into this with a guy on a corvette forum that said he'd never get it because every clear bra job he's seen looks like crap. I told him he was partially correct because you won't notice a good install, only the bad ones.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.