Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 10:52 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Rated
How'd you guys get a 911R? Wanna sell it?
One of our local customers was kind enough to lend us the vehicle for the week, we certainly didn't want it to leave

Old 05-29-2017, 02:47 PM
Paolo1
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 76 Posts

I believe I read in this thread (it's so so long and filled with pain) that there are perhaps only 5 clear film installers across the nation who can be considered the best of the best. Can someone here step up and share their thoughts on who they are? I am most interested in those in the NYC metro area, but as a service to all, the nationwide 5 would be great. Many thanks and be careful out there.
Old 05-29-2017, 02:52 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Paolo1
I believe I read in this thread (it's so so long and filled with pain) that there are perhaps only 5 clear film installers across the nation who can be considered the best of the best. Can someone here step up and share their thoughts on who they are? I am most interested in those in the NYC metro area, but as a service to all, the nationwide 5 would be great. Many thanks and be careful out there.
I think this is the thread for that:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9459...rs-thread.html

Edit: looks like post #17 and #24 are recommended NY installers.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:36 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
I had my dealer do the install - Porsche of the Main Line in Newtown Square, PA. Their installers have been trained and certified by XPEL and it shows. I never even think about it except when cleaning the car - it's virtually undetectable, as it should be. The job that was done on the OP's car is just unacceptable. I like Chuck V's suggestion of disputing the credit card charge.
They have done at least 5-7 on various cars of mine and they are always great. Granted I view it as protection, so while some things need to be perfect, as long as it looks mainly undetectable, I'm fine with it. I try not to fine tooth comb. The BEST clear bras I've EVER had are done by Kris Ong out in SoCal...he just did my Singer and its legitimately undetectable.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:41 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

They Are called RDS I believe and they have done my car too plus some added pieces. Great work with some of the most amazing cars inside at any time.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:00 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a subpar experience at a very well regarded shop near me, but Tim at XPel was really kind and offered to step up and make it right with a different installer. Unfortunately -- for me -- life got in the way last year and I never got the chance to follow up, the car still aggravates me when I look at it close. But the lesson I learned is it is very much in the hands of the right installer if you are going to get what you paid for. Try to view similar cars that they've done to see how they look.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:23 PM
Joenyc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

detailers domain in NJ did a full body wrap with xpel @ ceramic pro . Two years later no problem and a great shine when washed .
Old 05-29-2017, 05:22 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 114 Posts

My guy draws customers from all over the eastern U.S. including all of the cars at the BMW Performance Center. I believe there are none better and it is worth the trip.

https://www.ecolorsautopaint.com/
Check out his FB page to see it in action.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:06 PM
dave-t
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in arlington va. and use Proform the owner is Rob freeman. Rob has done all of my cars and does good work. I am very picky and find no problems with his work. Rob is a Xpel installing in Ellicott City Maryland.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:26 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Joenyc
detailers domain in NJ did a full body wrap with xpel @ ceramic pro . Two years later no problem and a great shine when washed .
Wow! That's a first hearing that. I had two wrapped there and felt subpar. Phil's a great guy, but clearly not a very good wrapper.
Old 05-29-2017, 07:58 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Best guy in TriState Area, Nick Oakes from Oakes Detail. I've had 15 cars wrapped so far my in life, seen 6 installers in that time and here's how I rate them....
#1 Oakes Detail - Nick by far has been the best one! Want to talk about details and not seeing seams or the fact that there's a film applied, this is the man to see. Price was excellent! Keep in mind you get what you pay for, that's the motto I live by. Dropped off my 991 C4S and had the car wrapped, coated, and tinted and everything I wanted was met if not exceeeded. He is the real deal, if you live far away, he will pick up in trailer and drop off if needed. Key reason, removes items to wrap the car. Unlike others that bring it to the end on certain parts, he wraps it completely so you don't see any seams.
#2 ACAP Films - Wild Bill was great when he was doing it on his own. The last car I dropped off in 2014 was the last time he personally did himself. In 2015 when I took another car to him, he had these three kids helping and the work by far suffered and I guess that was the last time I used him. Great price, ok work. Definitely not acceptable for my standards anymore.
#3 Leeberbs - Lee's shop is awesome, but clearly Greg does most of the wrapping and detailing there. If you had to choose a place in NJ, he's it. Greg really pays attention to details and gets it right the first time! Looking for a place in NJ, Greg gives you the best customer service with the best finished product!
#4 DetailDomain - Phil is by far the best Detailer you can find, hands down. Wrapping a vehicle, he’s also amazing and delivers an amazing job everytime! The workmanship he puts on to his vehicles goes a long way! Phil owns N.J.!
#5 Tint Shop - Absolute Joke...... no need to mention them.
#6 Detail Doctor - Not that great, templates only and only goes to the edges.
Again, these are my opinions. What I look for in someone that wraps/detail is CLEARLY DETAILS! It not about the money, it about the quality work I expect for the money I'm paying. When you run into a guy like Nick from Oakes Detail or Phil from Detail Domain and they clearly show you the work and passion for the finished product done in a custom way, you clearly stick with that person. Hope this explains myself without offending anyone.
Enjoy!

Last edited by JPJRJR70; 06-09-2019 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 05-29-2017, 08:08 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Last note? Stay away from ANY DEALER THAT SELLS YOU THIS PRODUCT! I have seen some really crappy work from FC Kerbeck, Manhattan Motors, Central Jersey Ferrari, Ray Catena Dealerships that rape and ruin your cars. So sad!
Old 05-29-2017, 08:47 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 404 Posts

Try:

Detailing Dynamics
66 Windsor Avenue
Mineola, NY 11501

(516) 747-4114
Eddie@DetailingDynamics.com

I had great experience with a GT4 and their shop is always full of high-end cars.

Good luck and let us know who you choose.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,032 Likes on 484 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
They Are called RDS I believe and they have done my car too plus some added pieces. Great work with some of the most amazing cars inside at any time.
Yes. One in the same.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:41 PM
beaverlake
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Seattle area - Metropolitan Detail. Hands down number one recommended detail/PPF installer by the 2000 member Pacific NW Region of PCA.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.