Xpel...Never again.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:08 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
Take your refund and STFU!
It's not true that they offered a refund, Tim lied. The refund is contingent to me taking the car to one of their shops in the area (read what the other local guy wrote earlier about the local shops) and then they'll refund me.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:13 AM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GiuseppeM
It's not true that they offered a refund, Tim lied. The refund is contingent to me taking the car to one of their shops in the area (read what the other local guy wrote earlier about the local shops) and then they'll refund me.
Then take your car to the shops to have it removed, demand to watch them work during removal - since you do not trust them, then get your refund, bud. I don't think they'll refund you while having you keep the xpel.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:42 AM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^ I doubt he would want that left on his car, question is why not allow him have it removed at trustable shop where no further damage is likely. I wouldn't want those guys touch my car after all that has been going on.

To OP: I think expel would be ok with you having it removed at Detail Dynamics up in NY, they do a lot of Xpel installs and are very reputable shop, I would have them also rewrap it for you there, Xpel can be good if done right
Old 07-22-2016, 12:45 AM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GiuseppeM,

I feel for you and it is terrible that this installer is actually in business and "authorized" to do this type of inferior quality work.
FWIW, I have Xpel on 4 of my cars (2 Porsches) and the quality of the film and installations are excellent. Any flaws have been corrected at no charge. Like others, I believe the issue is the installer and not the product.
I think that you should allow the installer to remove the film with the regional rep and you in attendance for the entire process. In addition, based on your dashcam video, I would demand that your car be detailed at another shop and request that this cost be covered. This would get you back to square one. It will not erase the pain and frustration but it will mitigate the cosmetic issues that you are dealing with.
I would recommend that any and all readers in or around the VA area boycott this installer.
Good luck.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:55 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rezus
^^^ I doubt he would want that left on his car, question is why not allow him have it removed at trustable shop where no further damage is likely. I wouldn't want those guys touch my car after all that has been going on.

To OP: I think expel would be ok with you having it removed at Detail Dynamics up in NY, they do a lot of Xpel installs and are very reputable shop, I would have them also rewrap it for you there, Xpel can be good if done right
Thank you for the info, I'm 5 hours away from that shop so it would be challenging going there (and removal takes half day apparently)

Originally Posted by 911sanantone
GiuseppeM,

I feel for you and it is terrible that this installer is actually in business and "authorized" to do this type of inferior quality work.
FWIW, I have Xpel on 4 of my cars (2 Porsches) and the quality of the film and installations are excellent. Any flaws have been corrected at no charge. Like others, I believe the issue is the installer and not the product.
I think that you should allow the installer to remove the film with the regional rep and you in attendance for the entire process. In addition, based on your dashcam video, I would demand that your car be detailed at another shop and request that this cost be covered. This would get you back to square one. It will not erase the pain and frustration but it will mitigate the cosmetic issues that you are dealing with.
I would recommend that any and all readers in or around the VA area boycott this installer.
Good luck.
Thank you for understanding and for the nice words, if you saw what I saw, you wouldn't take it back there, in fact the Xpel regional rep is his client and that shop wrapped 3 or 4 of his cars. I trusted his judgment being an Xpel employee and having a close relationship with the installer and this is what I got. I think the pictures speak for themselves.

In regards to the product itself, I still haven't gotten an answer on the cloudy finish and the stickiness, am I the only one with this? It's visible in one of the pictures.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:06 AM
911sanantone
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not seen this on my vehicles nor have I used the Xpel sealant (one reply suggested that this may be the cause).
In regards to the film removal, I think that the lack of expertise of this installer is far less important. They can remove it under your watch. Adhesive can be removed by them OR by the detailed of your choice. Good luck.
Old 07-22-2016, 01:07 AM
mtgadbois
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Your posting caused me to inspect my xpel coating. I have the pre-cut package that covers 1/2 of the hood etc. Mine was put on by someone hired by the dealer and appears to be flawless. Of course, being pre-cut it covers 99% of the surface but not that 1% area by the lights etc. For me it seems to be just fine - of course, I'm the type of owner who has only washed his car twice in the last year. Only 1200 miles and not driven in the rain (too often).
Mark
Old 07-22-2016, 01:16 AM
Rezus
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you for the info, I'm 5 hours away from that shop so it would be challenging going there (and removal takes half day apparently).
I think it will be worth your time, you want to get it right and move on. Make it a fun trip to the City and get this over with. I know you are pissed and rightly so but you have to come up with a reasonable solution at this point and move on, don't drag the agony
Old 07-22-2016, 01:27 AM
gbree
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

XPEL honestly needs to make it harder to become an authorized installer. It seems like everyone is having an issue. I personally have a huge bubble in my front bumper than the installer refuses to fix it.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:07 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 996SPECticle
Take your refund and STFU!
X2, and maybe work out that someone else can take off the film.

I couldn't even get a refund and have since filled in small claims so I'm jealous you got offered a refund! I did take him up on his offer to sort out and PM'd him.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:46 AM
GiuseppeM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by R_Rated
X2, and maybe work out that someone else can take off the film.

I couldn't even get a refund and have since filled in small claims so I'm jealous you got offered a refund! I did take him up on his offer to sort out and PM'd him.
They didn't offer a refund, it was contingent to me having that shop removing it. Like other members mentioned these Xpel shops in my area are to avoid like plague.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:17 AM
Dirac
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gbree
XPEL honestly needs to make it harder to become an authorized installer. It seems like everyone is having an issue. I personally have a huge bubble in my front bumper than the installer refuses to fix it.
I've seen this type of flaw fixed. It's done with a syringe and a small diameter needle. The air is sucked out and then a bit of heat from a hair dryer. If the bubble has stretched the film too much, then it could be a problem because it will no longer lie flat after the air is removed.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:16 AM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Giuseppe,

I stated exactly what was on the table so far and offered to take action internally if someone has not been truthful. We have 2 shops besides the one who installed the film that can remove it for you and have arranged to make sure the removal is covered as well. If neither of those shops is acceptable for you for whatever reason, we can try to make arrangements with someone else, but if it's someone not in our network, it will have to be arranged with someone from XPEL there during the removal. I'm sure you can understand why.

I'm trying to get this resolved to make you happy...why all the hostility?

Tim

Old 07-22-2016, 11:53 AM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by XPEL
why all the hostility?
I'm guessing it's because he's having to deal with this in the first place. This is beyond embarrassing for Xpel, imo.

Posturing on this forum doesn't help your case.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:09 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
I'm guessing it's because he's having to deal with this in the first place. This is beyond embarrassing for Xpel, imo.

Posturing on this forum doesn't help your case.
I think the hostility should be directed toward the shop that did the original install, not the manufacturer of the product that was installed improperly.

I think it's encouraging the someone high up in the company is trying to get things fixed and that working constructively is more likely to put things right, even if the initial attempts through customer service were unsatisfactory to the OP.

I don't think anyone is implying that there was anything wrong with the film itself. I understand how frustrated the OP is but if it were me I would be trying to work with XPel to try and get the best outcome possible.

Quick Reply: Xpel...Never again.