Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Short Shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 05:54 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts

Just got mine from sunset last week but haven't ventured to install it yet.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:41 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The shifter moves two cables fore and aft, one cable is moved when the shifter is forced left or right, and the other cable is moved when the shifter is forced fore and aft. The combination of these moves selects the gear and the gates. One can easily feel what gear is selected and what gear will be engaged. The shifter only does two things, and both of those things make for a wonderful shifting experience over the original shifter. Those two things; a shorter shifter, and a heavier spring action for the movements.

I can imagine how wonderful it would feel on the Getrag 6 speed in the GT4.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:39 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

I'll update for those considering this.

Gears 1-4 are rifles shots, excellent feel in up and down shifts. Shifter height now fits perfectly in your hand and looks so much more natural.

Gears 5-6 can be trickier now, in shifting up but even more so on downshifts - gear level has a hard pull back to the 3-4 channel so if you're not intentionally forcing it right when downshifting from 6 you will get 3rd for example. Likely not relevant on the track when you're shifting hard/fast (most tracks anyway) but it will happen on the freeway often and could break traction if you're careless and it's wet for example.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:41 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Anyone in the bay area have experience with a DIY install and want to come help me? There may be some beers and food involved as well...
Old 06-24-2016, 02:27 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 1,007 Likes on 598 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Anyone in the bay area have experience with a DIY install and want to come help me? There may be some beers and food involved as well...
Where in the bay do you live?

I am moving this weekend, but might be able to meetup later next week.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:51 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
I'll update for those considering this.

Gears 1-4 are rifles shots, excellent feel in up and down shifts. Shifter height now fits perfectly in your hand and looks so much more natural.

Gears 5-6 can be trickier now, in shifting up but even more so on downshifts - gear level has a hard pull back to the 3-4 channel so if you're not intentionally forcing it right when downshifting from 6 you will get 3rd for example. Likely not relevant on the track when you're shifting hard/fast (most tracks anyway) but it will happen on the freeway often and could break traction if you're careless and it's wet for example.
Hmm, that kinda worries me. I do most of my driving off the track. Would hate to mis-shift from 6 to 3 instead of 5.

One thing I was wondering is would this shifter make city driving easier? For example, if 1-2-3-4 are rifle shots then I could see urban shifting to be eased somewhat. I made the decision to buy a manual knowing full well that I'll be doing a lot of city commuting and I'm happily willing to sleep in the bed I made in exchange for the pleasure of rowing my own gears, but any help I can get is welcome.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:41 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

PM sent.

Originally Posted by Joec500
Where in the bay do you live?

I am moving this weekend, but might be able to meetup later next week.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:27 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Well, finally got around to doing the install. By way of background I'm pretty handy but had never taken apart my 911 before. For the most part the planet-9 tutorial is pretty good, albeit lacking in details. Took me just about 2 hours end to end. Surprisingly, most of the trim pieces snap on and off so it's quite easy. A couple tips that could be updated from the planet 9 article, specifically removing the shift boot. When you have the old shifter out, you will see that the boot attaches to the shaft by way of 4 plastic tabs that have a notch that sit in a groove on the shaft. There is a plastic ring that goes around these tabs. If you rotate the ring 90 degs by lifting up the separate tabs that go around the ring (x 2), this will rotate the ring out of the way so the tabs can release a little. Next, if you wedge a plastic trim tool piece to sequentially to "open" up the 4 longitudinal tabs the **** and boot will slide up easily. This is in contrast to many online DIYs which state you have to pull so hard as to potentially hit yourself in the face.

Second, make sure you keep the red plastic piece and use it installed while re-attaching the shift cables. It keeps the shifter in neutral while you manipulate the cables. remove afterwards, obviously, before you put the **** and boot on.

Now on to the review...

I was going for the shorter shift height because I found the original stock length too high for my tastes. I've also driven GT4s and Spyders and really, REALLY like the shifter feel in those cars, specifically the schnick, schnick aspect of the gates. Realizing that those are completely different gearboxes, I thought the next best thing was to put the GT4 shifter into the 991. Well folks, from my feeling, this is 80%+ the feeling of the GT4 shifter!! Significantly reduced is the notchiness when going from 1-2 with a cold start, and as a previous poster said, 1-4 feel slick and awesome. Not QUITE the schnick feeling of the GT4 but a lot closer. There is still a little more effort here compared to the GT4 but very well balanced given the larger size of the 991. Also as someone said, 5-6-7 is still a little awkward, but no worse than before and imo maybe even slightly easier. It's not natural like 1-2, 3-4, 4-3 but not bad. 7 is also less of a reach given the shorter shift height. I think with time I'll learn how to do this without thinking. Unlikely to be a problem on the track as you'll likely never be in 6 but just something to note.

Bottom line: Do it if you want to lower your shifter height and get closer to a GT4 or Spyder feel. And for less than $250 bucks or something like that and a couple hours of your time, it's a no brainer.

Last edited by titleistaddict87; 06-28-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:11 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

+991

i too just installed the shifter in my 50th... it is a big improvement... i highly recommend to all seeking a more sporty, precise, masculine feel... only those wanting lowest possible shifting effort for DD duties should stay with stock shifter...

...to me, like all great mods, it feels like it should have come out of the factory that way (given the mission of the car to be daily-friendly but also be very sporty when called upon)...
Old 07-01-2016, 05:48 PM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got my SSK installed this morning at BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach. They've got an awesome shop, and the guys were great. They had two guys working on my car, and got everything done very quickly while I waited. I would totally recommend them to anyone here on RL!

The GT4 SSK is worth every penny. The height is perfect, and really the way the car should've come from the factory. The throws are shorter, more precise, and just better. I didn't personally find 5th -7th to be more difficult as some have said here, but I guess that may be a matter of personal taste.

All in all, a great mod.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:48 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
Hmm, that kinda worries me. I do most of my driving off the track. Would hate to mis-shift from 6 to 3 instead of 5.

One thing I was wondering is would this shifter make city driving easier? For example, if 1-2-3-4 are rifle shots then I could see urban shifting to be eased somewhat. I made the decision to buy a manual knowing full well that I'll be doing a lot of city commuting and I'm happily willing to sleep in the bed I made in exchange for the pleasure of rowing my own gears, but any help I can get is welcome.
If you're not rushing your shifts you'll be fine - ie most street driving. The indicator in the center stack will actually tell you before you declutch if you're worried. Its very manageable in any case with some seat time.

6-7 are rare use cases for me as I like to stay in the power band, so I don't mind being extra mindful in shifting to the right.

I find the short throws makes all driving easier inc in-town, though there is more effort with your right hand it's very quick. Gears are much more precise, less rubbery feeling, and for most of your shifting (1-4) very intuitive.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Jhoffmann
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bright_medal

I just got my SSK installed this morning at BBI Autosport in Huntington Beach. They've got an awesome shop, and the guys were great. They had two guys working on my car, and got everything done very quickly while I waited. I would totally recommend them to anyone here on RL!

The GT4 SSK is worth every penny. The height is perfect, and really the way the car should've come from the factory. The throws are shorter, more precise, and just better. I didn't personally find 5th -7th to be more difficult as some have said here, but I guess that may be a matter of personal taste.

All in all, a great mod.
Hey Bright Medal,

What did BBI charge you to install? My Short Shifter is sitting in my garage along with my BMC filters waiting to be installed and these guys are near by. Thanks for letting us know about your experience.
Old 07-02-2016, 12:42 AM
bright_medal
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhoffmann
Hey Bright Medal,

What did BBI charge you to install? My Short Shifter is sitting in my garage along with my BMC filters waiting to be installed and these guys are near by. Thanks for letting us know about your experience.
They charged me $280 which I thought was great price for an expert shop to do the job. I actually price shopped near me and they wanted over $200 more. So driving out to HB seemed worth especially since they've got such a great reputation!
Old 07-02-2016, 12:51 AM
my991na
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone try this on a GTS..?
Old 07-02-2016, 01:33 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by coolfido
Anyone try this on a GTS..?
see my post above re my 50th