Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Short Shift kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 11:41 AM
Mikeeno5
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@9914s I had the module on my garage floor, stood on the ends and yanked on the **** several times. It came off after a few really hard pulls. People have said they've broken the ring around the bottom so just make sure it's turned to the unlocked position fully.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:50 AM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeeno5
@9914s I had the module on my garage floor, stood on the ends and yanked on the **** several times. It came off after a few really hard pulls. People have said they've broken the ring around the bottom so just make sure it's turned to the unlocked position fully.
Thanks it worked!
Old 08-10-2016, 02:39 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 205 Posts

Late response...
Old 08-10-2016, 04:13 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Jhoffmann
You're welcome to try mine out - Im in Long Beach and am at the cars and coffee at the Enderle center most Saturday mornings.

Thanks. I'm down to visit one of these weekends and spend some time there. I'll give you a heads up if I do.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:01 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 143 Posts

Done with the installation. It is really straight foward. I used these two DIY from 6spd

How to remove the center console trim
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4041690

And how to remove the radio
PCM removal part 1
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-part-1-a.html

PCM removal part 2
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4185737

And these steps
1 Pull side panels of the center console on both sides, to unclip it at the back and then pull back the front
2. Carefully pull silver decorative frame from the center console
3. Shifter cover removal: unclip front upwards and then unhook the rear
4. Unclip electronic switch module upward
5. Press ashtray forward and then remove it
6. Removing Radio / PCM unit by loosening the four Torx screws
7. Disconnect plug connections from the radio / PCM
8. Remove air conditioning control panel with pressure from below
9. Remove the plastic support frame of the center console now, this must be removed on each side three highly visible Torx screws
10. Mark the neutral position of the gear cables with a paint pen
11. Loosen bayonet lock of the two shifter cables by turning and unhook shift cables
12. Remove shifter unit: unscrew the four Torx screws, previously cut two cable ties
13. Loosen the gearshift **** from the shift stick, which is a bit tricky: at the down end, turn the gear **** counterclockwise, and then remove with a little violence upwards
14. Insert the new gear lever with red protective bracket and snap in the shift cables to the previously marked position
15. Lock the bayonet locks of the gearshift cables
16. Installation done!
17. Reinstall parts and panels in and do not forget the electrical connectors
18. Important: Place the gearshift lever with pressure and then lock in a clockwise direction

Last edited by 9914s; 08-10-2016 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 AM
tonester99
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cristophosphorus
LA here. How about you?
i'm thinking of installing the SSK for my 981 as well. I'm also in LA. would it be possible to meetup with you so I can check out the SSK on your 991 before I pull the trigger on the SSK for my car?

thanks
Old 09-06-2016, 04:46 PM
Cristophosphorus
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by tonester99
i'm thinking of installing the SSK for my 981 as well. I'm also in LA. would it be possible to meetup with you so I can check out the SSK on your 991 before I pull the trigger on the SSK for my car?

thanks

I don't actually have the SSK; I was trying to coordinate the same thing with another RLer.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:23 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Anyone know how or know of a good installer in DC-MD area? I have the kit - just waiting installation
Old 09-07-2016, 09:53 AM
Jabs1542
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 86 Posts

Sharm - I live in the DC area and have taken the console apart. Would you like to tackle this together? I offer because I am considering the same mod and I would really like to see if the difference is really there and if it's what I want.
Old 10-15-2016, 01:10 AM
fw991S
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installed finally

happy to report that the ssk was installed.

my impressions after 2 days of driving is that while it is a def an improvement and worthwhile, i wish it was notchier. b&m ssk i installed on my 996 some years ago felt better to me personally. i liked the added effort that was required on the b&m and how it had to be snapped into gear.

either way, this mod is highly recommended!
Old 10-15-2016, 01:51 AM
silvertige
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by 9914s
Done with the installation. It is really straight foward. I used these two DIY from 6spd

How to remove the center console trim
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4041690

And how to remove the radio
PCM removal part 1
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-part-1-a.html

PCM removal part 2
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...ml#post4185737

And these steps
1 Pull side panels of the center console on both sides, to unclip it at the back and then pull back the front
2. Carefully pull silver decorative frame from the center console
3. Shifter cover removal: unclip front upwards and then unhook the rear
4. Unclip electronic switch module upward
5. Press ashtray forward and then remove it
6. Removing Radio / PCM unit by loosening the four Torx screws
7. Disconnect plug connections from the radio / PCM
8. Remove air conditioning control panel with pressure from below
9. Remove the plastic support frame of the center console now, this must be removed on each side three highly visible Torx screws
10. Mark the neutral position of the gear cables with a paint pen
11. Loosen bayonet lock of the two shifter cables by turning and unhook shift cables
12. Remove shifter unit: unscrew the four Torx screws, previously cut two cable ties
13. Loosen the gearshift **** from the shift stick, which is a bit tricky: at the down end, turn the gear **** counterclockwise, and then remove with a little violence upwards
14. Insert the new gear lever with red protective bracket and snap in the shift cables to the previously marked position
15. Lock the bayonet locks of the gearshift cables
16. Installation done!
17. Reinstall parts and panels in and do not forget the electrical connectors
18. Important: Place the gearshift lever with pressure and then lock in a clockwise direction

Thanks for that!
Old 11-16-2016, 03:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
Well, finally got around to doing the install. By way of background I'm pretty handy but had never taken apart my 911 before. For the most part the planet-9 tutorial is pretty good, albeit lacking in details. Took me just about 2 hours end to end. Surprisingly, most of the trim pieces snap on and off so it's quite easy. A couple tips that could be updated from the planet 9 article, specifically removing the shift boot. When you have the old shifter out, you will see that the boot attaches to the shaft by way of 4 plastic tabs that have a notch that sit in a groove on the shaft. There is a plastic ring that goes around these tabs. If you rotate the ring 90 degs by lifting up the separate tabs that go around the ring (x 2), this will rotate the ring out of the way so the tabs can release a little. Next, if you wedge a plastic trim tool piece to sequentially to "open" up the 4 longitudinal tabs the **** and boot will slide up easily. This is in contrast to many online DIYs which state you have to pull so hard as to potentially hit yourself in the face.
Reviving this old thread since I will be installing this after I get back from Thanksgiving travels.

When you say boot, above, I'm assuming you're discussing the entire **** / boot assembly? I haven't taken anything apart yet to see how the **** attaches to the shifter, but I'm trying to visualize. It looks like this will be the hardest part of the install. Famous last words.

Any other tips from those that have done this regarding removal of the shift ****?

Thanks!
Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 PM
Sharm
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 42 Posts

Getting this finally installed on Monday at the dealer, while they take a look at the rattling on the driver side door with music playing. They quoted 3 hours labor. Will report back..
Old 11-17-2016, 08:11 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharm
Getting this finally installed on Monday at the dealer, while they take a look at the rattling on the driver side door with music playing. They quoted 3 hours labor. Will report back..
3 hours labor seems to be at least one hour too much.
Old 11-17-2016, 09:17 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,337 Likes on 753 Posts

Agreed. Had mine installed by an Indy shop. Took less than 2 hours including doing a thorough check of the car and a test drive.

Quick Reply: 991 Short Shift kit