Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Short Shift kit

Old 07-09-2015, 12:42 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Default 991 Short Shift kit

New item @ Suncoast looks interesting. Anyone familiar with it?

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...m_medium=email

One thing I found confusing was "Factory part, but not factory approved or authorized."

We need an adventurous soul to do a trial run.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:27 PM
mathfuzzy
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by pfan
New item @ Suncoast looks interesting. Anyone familiar with it? http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...m_medium=email One thing I found confusing was "Factory part, but not factory approved or authorized." We need an adventurous soul to do a trial run.
Here was a thread about this a week or two ago. That last line is curious...not sure what that disclaimer is all about.

FWIW, I had the factory short shift kit for the 997 installed in my 997.2 Targa and liked it. I bought the part from Suncoast and my dealer was happy to install it. Only issue I had was that it made the car sometimes more stubborn about selecting 1st. Basically made an existing issue worse. Not sure if this is a problem for 991s like it was with some 997s.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:04 PM
systemr
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I posted the original thread and somebody else shared that over at planet9 a few people installed in their 981s and weren't impressed.

Found that thread:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...ter-981-a.html

salient quote:

Well, the shifter does feel better - not night and day better, more like night and dawn. The stock shifter is very good to begin with, so this doesn't surprise me. When comparing this SSK to the stock shifter, the only real difference I can see is in the height of the shift lever itself - 3.25 in vs. 4.0 in. Everything else - springs, internal pivot points, materials, etc. - look to me to be the same as stock. I guess I was expecting maybe beefier springs, shorter internal pivot levers, material other than plastic. So the slightly better feel comes mainly from the shorter shift lever. That being said, the shifts are shorter and slightly crisper, especially 2 - 3. And I like the reduced height of the ****. Do I think it is worth $400? To be honest - probably not - but YMMV. Maybe it will grow on me as I drive it more.
Old 12-08-2015, 08:33 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Just reviving an old thread. This kit looks intriguing to me. Any one have any experience with it or suggestions for alternative options? Pretty happy with the stock 7MT but always like to know what else is out there.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:34 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interested too. And is the GTS MT any different than non GTS or not????
Old 12-16-2015, 08:17 PM
Key Left
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
Interested too. And is the GTS MT any different than non GTS or not????

The physical material answer to this question, in spite of what the pundits have said, is no. The hardware is precisely the same, no change whatsoever.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:05 PM
Zekiel
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the shift kit in my car. I liked the shifting before I put it in but wanted a bit shorter throw so I bought the part to see if it did the trick.

I admit I was a bit concerned after seeing the part and not seeing much difference to stock but whatever the reason, it works for me.

It is indeed a bit shorter throw and the slight increase in effort and tightness really help make it feel like you're throwing the lever faster too since you have to overcome the slight increase in effort. It's nothing egregious though.

Would I do it again if I could do over knowing what both feel like? Yes, I'd spend the money again cause I got the manual specifically and to me, this makes it better, it's more engaging and feels slightly more mechanical.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Of course the parts are similar- its simply a shorter lever. Instead of more leverage/longer travel you get less leverage/shorter travel. Might feel faster, but since the shorter the travel the greater the effort, which rises proportionally, its not. If it feels more mechanical, probably turning the same nut with a 1/4" drive wrench feels more mechanical than with a 1/2" drive. Even though they are exactly equally mechanical one "feels" more than the other.

I remember short shift kits were really popular with a lot of the guys I knew… back in high school. Does the kit come with a skull shift ****? Those are so rad!
Old 12-16-2015, 11:23 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Sounds like a small improvement in feel for a small price. Thanks for the help. I'll pass personally and this was helpful information. Thanks everyone.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:58 AM
Zekiel
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

chuck911....

Hmm, I think I know who's really in high school....
Old 12-18-2015, 03:18 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly what I needed to hear. Appreciate the post. I too appreciate a shorter throw.

Originally Posted by Zekiel
I have the shift kit in my car. I liked the shifting before I put it in but wanted a bit shorter throw so I bought the part to see if it did the trick.

I admit I was a bit concerned after seeing the part and not seeing much difference to stock but whatever the reason, it works for me.

It is indeed a bit shorter throw and the slight increase in effort and tightness really help make it feel like you're throwing the lever faster too since you have to overcome the slight increase in effort. It's nothing egregious though.

Would I do it again if I could do over knowing what both feel like? Yes, I'd spend the money again cause I got the manual specifically and to me, this makes it better, it's more engaging and feels slightly more mechanical.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:21 PM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

And it's on sale right now
Old 12-18-2015, 08:57 PM
Bartron
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c_Gio
And it's on sale right now
Where?