Sponsored by:

HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 02:39 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by brucebca
Great cars. Great thread. Super happy with my 2012.5 c2s 991.1 found in late November from this list. Would not have happened without this list. I wouldnt have known Where to start. Of course I guess I could also blame it on this list. Drove the around for errands today and my 13 yr old son, who loves this car, even wanted to go along just to ride in the car.
My kids love to ride in mine! I occasional get to pick them up from elementary school in it...get into the pickup line, minivan, minivan, SUV, minivan, Porsche 911S, minivan, SUV, SUV, minivan, SUV, minivan...it's kind of funny...
Old 01-08-2017, 02:41 AM
MinMay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
True. How many BMW guys have jumped ship to a 911 here?? Too many to say. Never do I hear them going the opposite direction.

They've done a decent job, but look like mini sedans to me. Never see a sports car in my eyes. Just two door sedans. Add a zippy Turbo, and no dice.

Plus if I'm spending $80-$90K on a new BMW, I'd rather buy a nearly new 991.1 for that with $120K++ MSRP's.

The way 991.1 prices and availability has been, we've spread to the word WAY TOO MUCH!
+1 BMW is no fun after a month of ownership. It will be like every other cars on the street in the Bay Area
Old 01-08-2017, 06:49 AM
TJsBeer
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey Guys,

I'm starting to narrow down my choices and have a couple of questions:

-One of the cars does not have PSE. Would an aftermarket cat-back exhaust effect the CPO warranty at all?

-Is PSP a deal breaker? Anyone here own a car with PSP and truly regret having it?
Old 01-08-2017, 09:40 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

PSP (Power Steering Plus), is just a software program that allows easier steering at approx under 30MPH speeds. Supposedly at speeds above that steering is the same as a non-PSP car. I personally like a more firm feel with turning and do not like this option. The 991 has electric steering as is which is easy enough to turn as is in my opinion.

The good news?? It's only software like mentioned and the dealer can deactivate for probably $100-$200

Same for those who can't live without it. It can be purchased and activated.

For the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust), you can have one added for around $3K. An aftermarket exhaust does not void a CPO warranty either.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects consumers against many things. In this case, a manufacturer would have to prove the exhaust caused a certain part to fail. Pretty much, it wouldn't cover anything including the new part in this case or the parts it attached to technically. Many guys add aftermarket exhausts and all enjoy their warranties through Porsche dealers. This isn't one of those risky things. An ECU tune or crack your engine open for mods?Then you're venturing into a more gray area. You get it.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSE.html

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSP.html
Old 01-08-2017, 10:41 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by brucebca
Great cars. Great thread. Super happy with my 2012.5 c2s 991.1 found in late November from this list. Would not have happened without this list. I wouldnt have known Where to start. Of course I guess I could also blame it on this list. Drove the around for errands today and my 13 yr old son, who loves this car, even wanted to go along just to ride in the car.
Sweet!

Anyone who finds their dream car is a winner. If HFS is able to help, educate, or assist someone in making a great buy it's served its purpose.

Most guys are doing their own searches, but are able to be more confident while doing so.

The HFS CAR of the YEAR highlights one purchase that is a great example of a car featured here that was a great find and went to a loyal HFS follower and Rennlister.

Thanks to all the contributors and followers here. We couldn't make this remotely worthwhile without you guys
Old 01-08-2017, 11:03 AM
TJsBeer
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
PSP (Power Steering Plus), is just a software program that allows easier steering at approx under 30MPH speeds. Supposedly at speeds above that steering is the same as a non-PSP car. I personally like a more firm feel with turning and do not like this option. The 991 has electric steering as is which is easy enough to turn as is in my opinion.

The good news?? It's only software like mentioned and the dealer can deactivate for probably $100-$200

Same for those who can't live without it. It can be purchased and activated.

For the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust), you can have one added for around $3K. An aftermarket exhaust does not void a CPO warranty either.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act protects consumers against many things. In this case, a manufacturer would have to prove the exhaust caused a certain part to fail. Pretty much, it wouldn't cover anything including the new part in this case or the parts it attached to technically. Many guys add aftermarket exhausts and all enjoy their warranties through Porsche dealers. This isn't one of those risky things. An ECU tune or crack your engine open for mods?Then you're venturing into a more gray area. You get it.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSE.html

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU991PSP.html
Thanks STG. With that knowledge I think I'll be able to make a nice deal on base manual car near me.
Just need to convince wifey she doesn't need PDK
Old 01-08-2017, 11:07 AM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by MinMay
+1 BMW is no fun after a month of ownership. It will be like every other cars on the street in the Bay Area
I agree that BMW is losing there way a bit (design wise, and putting an M on everything) but still a fine automobile and some are not easily forgettable.

I still miss my '15 M5 a lot. My DCT M5 (I later had a 6MT) was the best all-around car that I've ever owned. If I had the space and the dough I would buy that car back and keep it. They are different animals, not really a fair comparison.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM
STG
Race Director

^^ I used to drool over the M3's in dealer lots like 20+ yrs ago when I couldn't afford one. The 911's seemed even more out of reach. Settled for other cars while working hard. Was able to bypass the BMW phase and went right to Porsche later.

The BMW's seem big with the early 30's crowd with the mods, etc. Those aftermarket guys sell lots of stuff to them. The Porsche crowd is much more conservative. The next stepping stone after Honda's and Subaru's I suppose. Assuming you have the $$$. Don't follow them much. Like mentioned, they seem to be diluted now.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:24 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I will probably always have a BMW and a Porsche. Mostly because we like Euro vacays and the BMW European Delivery Program is awesome. Prorsche's not so much by comparison.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:31 PM
STG
Race Director

^^^ yeah, seems like Porsche has catching up to do with many things. Their custom paint program is very easy to work with too I hear.

Overall, sporty cars if needing more practical room and that sit a bit higher. Anyway, they do a nice job. Can't knock them really. They sell LOTS of cars.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:32 PM
STG
Race Director

Going to search some listings later. Hopefully can pull up a car to post.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:38 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to continue to digress (STG runs a tight ship here) but I don't think of BMW as a stepping stone to Porsche or any other brand.

Haha I remember contemplating my 911 purchase on these boards and writing my critique of the 991.2 when some idiot told me something like "you're not ready to "move up" to Porsche." This reasoning is flawed.

BMWs, particularly older models, have every bit of character as Porsche or any other brand in the world. (Perhaps less prestigious but this does not make them inferior machines. Different animals.) Some of the the best driver's cars in the world. Unfortunately the trend there's been more about pleasing the mainstream (e.g. focus on comfort and frills) and less about the drive as of late. They are expanding into too many lines and too concerned with profitability versus building cars more in line with their heritage.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:43 PM
STG
Race Director

^^^^ Yes. Very valid points. Didn't really mean much about stepping stone, but have seen the trend here with guys moving to Porsche. Especially the NA engine after BMW dropped them a while back. The old BMW's are great, no doubt. Wish I could have gotten that M3 20 years ago instead of a Lexus IS300. Enjoyed the Lexus though.

Now the issues you speak of with BMW, seem to be creeping into the Porsche world. I have my concerns with them too. That's no secret. Definitely not a full time Porsche cheerleader. Anyway, great discussion.

"Not ready to move up to Porsche" Geez.

Hopefully I'm ready for a BMW sometime Would still like to try one at some point. Not to replace a 911, but as an additional car.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:51 PM
bluehorseshoe
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by STG
^^^^ Yes. Very valid points. Didn't really mean much about stepping stone, but have seen the trend here with guys moving to Porsche. Especially the NA engine after BMW dropped them a while back. The old BMW's are great, no doubt. Wish I could have gotten that M3 20 years ago instead of a Lexus IS300. Enjoyed the Lexus though.

Now the issues you speak of with BMW, seem to be creeping into the Porsche world. I have my concerns with them too. That's no secret. Definitely not a full time Porsche cheerleader. Anyway, great discussion.
Hard to balance corporate culture / shareholder values, pursuit of the holy dollar with passion, culture, heritage, etc. Almost need to stay private.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:00 PM
STG
Race Director

^^^^ Yes. The shareholder public curse is usually not good for many brands. Too much short term focus vs. long term. That's the way executives get rewarded these days. Most of these guys are looking out for themselves and the short term until they jump ship for another company.

Quick Reply: HOT FOR SALE: Pick of the Week 991