Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

50th Anniversary sales stats/colour/PDK

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 01:34 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like fun. Want to hold the event in Toronto?
Old 10-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been a while since I did an update on stats, still keeping an eye and no major changes but will post some fresh stats in the next week or so.

How is everyone enjoying their 50th? My car is living in an aircraft hanger (joy of living in central London) amongst some nice cars but it seems to be stealing all the attention. Its a very special car and gets treated as such, so only out for special days which so far has consisted of lots of driving in Cotswolds region with a now customary stop at a nice gastro pub - my fav so far has been the Muddy Duck which I highly recommend http://www.themuddyduckpub.co.uk/

Not sure if any of you guys detailed your car but I came to know a very nice chap in Buckingham who was highly recommended by some classic car gurus and I decided to join him for the day as I was a bit sceptical about new car detailing. I am glad to have done so as I witnessed the process of identifying and removing Iron particles - there was a zillion of them on the car and he said mine was one of the nicest new car finishes he had seen, worst luxury car brand he's seen was a Bentley!

I was undecided on sealant vs wax so as a newbie I left it up to him and he suggested a sealant. This was the process/products he used;

NEW CAR PAINT PROTECTION
Vehicle washed and cleaned ready to be brought into the light bay to inspect paint condition!

After inspecting paint using metal halide lighting and sun light a full paint detox was needed and some slight machine work to perfect the paint ready for the glass coating!

The paint detox was carried out by using a medium clay bar with a clay lube to remove 80% of the contaminants then IRONX to remove the stubborn iron partials

After the paint was feeling super smooth and free of contaminants it was on to the marching work to remove slight imperfections and prime the surface for the glass coating. This was done using modesta P-01a after Letting the paint sit for 2 hours after priming it was ready for the glass coating

Two coats of POLISH ANGEL cosmic 9h leaving 1 1/2 hours between coats wheels also sealed using POLISH ANGEL super sport PTFE.

The whole process took 2 days as some curing time is required between the two coats of sealant.

The 9H indicates the hardness of the film (glass being 10), it doesn't mean the finish is now as hard as glass as the base factory finish is much softer so basically it means that now the finish is a couple of degrees harder than before. This finish is supposed to last 18-24 months with some interim maintenance - I will probably go for wax next time just to see the difference in finish. I think wax will look nicer but sealant offers better protection. Would be nice to hear which route you guys have taken and what products were used. Modesta is supposed to be the new miracle sealant but it gets quite complicated with Infra red curing & a bill of 3k - I am sure its good but I didn't know that much about detailing and so decided a gentle entry is the way to go for starters.

Anyway I highly recommend Charles Dujardin at Auto Wax Works, you might even get lucky and see a 300 SL gullwing or roadster in there http://www.autowaxworks.co.uk/ In case you are wondering yes, Charlotte Dujardin OBE, the Olympic gold medallist, European & world champion in Dressage is his sister.

Here is a pic of the car str8 after detailing going for an early Autumn nap at 500 miles.

Old 10-25-2014, 08:17 PM
Bart Baeyens
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took mine to Saint-Tropez

Old 10-25-2014, 11:10 PM
CaptDngr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lovely shots!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 AM
CPTAmericaMV
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks

How do you guys feel about this deal? I thought about trading my 2012 991S for it....

Comments? Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 10-26-2014, 12:50 AM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

It seems like a fully loaded car with all the bells & whistles. I like the interior/exterior colour combo. Sunroof on these cars look great but personally I like the classic lines of sunroof delete - either way is a personal choice and not a deal breaker. As for prices, what I have seen is that used prices are on par with new prices and in some cases (in Europe) even a little higher - this specific car has expectionaly low miles so a nice car overall.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Are prices going up in states?

Old 10-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, I would say it's only moderately optioned:
No PDK/PCCB/PDDC/burmester/heated steering wheel and many others. You may not want those options (I did choose them) but those are all the most expensive options that are all missing. Still a great car but NOT heavily optioned.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Mondrian - for prices, what I have seen is that used prices are on par with new prices and in some cases (in Europe) even a little higher

Mondrian,

You've mentioned this theory on multiple occasions and on multiple threads. I can understand why you'd like it to be true, and it may indeed be the case in the U.K. and Europe.

In the U.S, the advertised price for the car is absolutely no indication of what it is eventually sold for. Especially when preowned. The EBay 'buy now' price is generally 15% to 20% above the price that the seller is willing to allow. Nor do we know what price the car was sold for, if it was sold. On another thread (I don't have time to find it) is another 991- 50 that's being sold preowned. It's not advertised at MSRP (I believe) and the car has less than 100 miles on it.

I agree that these are special cars. In fact, I hope that it will be my next 991. However, I do not think that there's enough data for prices in the U.S. to support your claims of appreciation or MSRP.

Cheers,

B.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:39 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

Bacura the car is optioned over and above average, 18 way seats with leather backing, glass sunroof, Bose, PDLS + alone must be over $10k worth of options alone no?

Lets look at the extra options;
Light Design Package, Power Steering Plus, Rear Wiper, Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way), Automatically dimming mirrors, BOSE Surround Sound System, Electric Slide/Tilt Sunroof in Glass, Fuel Cap with Aluminum Look Finish, LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus), Pedals and footrest in Aluminum, Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather, not sure if front & rear sensors were standard or extra option in US.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Mondrian.

I believe it's a fishing expedition. The actual sale price will be interesting. See my post above yours. I think we posted at exactly the same moment.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:52 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondrian
Bacura the car is optioned over and above average, 18 way seats with leather backing, glass sunroof, Bose, PDLS + alone must be over $10k worth of options alone no?

Lets look at the extra options; ..., not sure if front & rear sensors were standard or extra option in US.
Park Assist Rear, or Front and Rear was optional.
Old 10-26-2014, 02:59 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

LE Nr 1785 also for sale on Ebay - seems to be similarly optioned to the one Mondrian posted, but asking price is higher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-...US_Cars_Trucks
Old 10-26-2014, 03:02 PM
VIC_50th
Rennlist Member

Oops, just realized this is the listing that CPTAmericaMV posted.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:12 PM
Mondrian
Three Wheelin'

I certainly hope you have read the whole thread. If you had then you'd realise that I put in a lot of time and effort to back my findings with data and not wishful thinking. I also own a 964 and post in that forum too - this is one of my posts https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...l#post11753518
You will notice that I proposed 2 alternatives, a drop in market demand or a lack of quality cars, one works in my favour and the other against it .... If your sentiments were correct then why would I propose "drop in demand" as a possibility? (With regards to 964).

As for US prices I clearly asked a question, are prices going up in states? I did not state a fact, I was fishing for info.

I am well aware that prices are negotiable, be it used or new however when the same dealer bumps up the price on the same car by 14% in 2 weeks its indicative of a rise a value or at least an under estimation of the real value of car.

Also for the record I have never suggested that value of these cars will appreciate from the onset but a much lower depreciation than other 991 cars - but if value rises then who am I to complain. I would also have a look at the most beautiful 991 thread, 50th seems to be quite popular by some non owners also which is saying a lot with GTS and Targa as the most recent additions.

Anyhow please post US cars that come on the market as we would all be interested in seeing the trend and good luck with your hunt.

Last edited by Mondrian; 10-26-2014 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 50th Anniversary sales stats/colour/PDK