Sponsored by:

991 Vs 991S

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 06:44 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I imagine there are similar discussions about the S vs. the 50th Anniversary 425hp car. Porsche sure does know how to slice and dice a market!
The PowerKit is 430HP.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:55 PM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best brakes and suspension in the world are still no match for a stupid driver
There is pure truth in that statement.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:56 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexVan
The PowerKit is 430HP.
That reminds me: I have the original PowerKit with only 425 hp. Should I trade it in on the new 430 hp model? ;-)
Old 05-14-2014, 07:16 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I drove a 991S PDK back to back with a 991 Base Cab 7MT. Down low the S does have more torque but they both liked to be revved out. With that in mind, I actually preferred the 7MT Base car. Felt more inline with what I would use it for and found it fast. Real test would have been to compare same transmissions in both as I suspect I still preferred manual.

You'll never know until you try them both.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
That reminds me: I have the original PowerKit with only 425 hp. Should I trade it in on the new 430 hp model? ;-)
Cheaper to just lose a few pounds
Old 05-14-2014, 07:38 PM
findtom
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 88 Posts

Well...... If you have the money then for me it's an S every time but...... In the right spec a C2 with PDK AND Sports Plus will near as dam it stay with an S. In truth you can feel the 50BHP but it's more the torque at the start of the rev range that I think makes the S a better "feeling" car.

That said this time I went for a C2PDK and saved about £30k. Remember the base price does not include that £30k or $40k you will spend in options!

I did a little video about my feelings on owning a C2 here

It's not a great well made video, and I apologize for my amature filming/monolog but the intent is there.

Hope it helps!

(As an aside, I'm looking for a C4S to replace my C2 next year)....
Old 05-14-2014, 08:14 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So let me get this straight. Those that own the base car think it's great. Those that own an S think it's great. Hmmmmm. Here's what I say...get the most you can afford and you won't regret it. If A is better than B it doesn't mean B is bad. It just means A is better. Sorry to give you the bad news.....the S is better (for a price). Period. No argument. If you can't afford an S then the base car is still a great car...just less great.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:15 PM
ggreg911
Racer

Received 211 Likes on 89 Posts

I bought a new C2S this past Sat. Drove C2 and C2S and there is a very noticeable difference in power...enough that I went with the S.

Drive both and decide for yourself. Just make sure you don't later regret not getting an S.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:34 PM
aml161
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bacura
So let me get this straight. Those that own the base car think it's great. Those that own an S think it's great. Hmmmmm. Here's what I say...get the most you can afford and you won't regret it. If A is better than B it doesn't mean B is bad. It just means A is better. Sorry to give you the bad news.....the S is better (for a price). Period. No argument. If you can't afford an S then the base car is still a great car...just less great.
Bacura, I'm sure you're a great person that I'd love to have a beer (etc) with, but there's so much wrong with everything you're saying here...

"[G]et the most you can afford and you won't regret it."
Not true. For example, I could "afford" a 918, but it doesn't mean I should buy it. Buying a 918 because I can afford it would be stupid. As much as it creeps up on me, stupidity is something that I regularly try to avoid.

Maximizing the most out of what you buy seems more in line with actually maximizing what you have paid for.

"If A is better than B it doesn't mean B is bad. It just means A is better."
That's presupposing that your A is in fact better than B. That hasn't been established. "Better" isn't qualified by anything reasonable yet for the OP or actually anything truly other than theoretical(*) acceleration times. Let's say that Walter Rohl is driving B and you are driving A. If lap (or acceleration) times are a true indicator of what is in fact better, can you reasonably prove that A is in fact better than B if B is faster around the track than A?

What is better exactly, why and for whom? It is a more capable car, certainly. But capability is another issue altogether. That doesn't mean it is better. Porsches, sadly, don't always properly come correct on tracks where there are skilled Miata drivers.

(*) Professional times

"Sorry to give you the bad news.....the S is better (for a price). Period. No argument."

"If you can't afford an S then the base car is still a great car...just less great."
S'il vous plaît ne soyez pas comme ça mon ami, il fait peur le monde loin.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:06 AM
John's 991
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh beh un autre francais par ici? Avec une Porsche en plus?
Old 05-15-2014, 12:10 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 201 Posts

+1 perhaps this post should be attached as the standard response to those inevitable future Base v. S threads.

Well said
Old 05-15-2014, 12:13 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Well you are entitled to your opinion and I stand by mine. Also, as a Canadian I do understand French. Comparing a 918 to a 911 is just plain idiotic. A C2 and C2S are 15K apart....not 800K apart. The S comes with larger wheels and tires, larger brakes and a whole lot more. It's a better bang for the buck if you have the extra buck. Other than marginally better gas mileage can you please tell me one thing the non-S does better? Also, don't compare my driving to Walter Rohl. I believe Walter himself would get the S to perform better than a non-S. I am not sure why you are so condescending. If we use your logic why get a non-S. Spend less and get a new M4. A super care for less money. The S is a step up. You may not want it or need it but it's a step up.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 AM
aml161
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well you are entitled to your opinion and I stand by mine. Also, as a Canadian I do understand French. Comparing a 918 to a 911 is just plain idiotic. A C2 and C2S are 15K apart....not 800K apart. The S comes with larger wheels and tires, larger brakes and a whole lot more. It's a better bang for the buck if you have the extra buck. Other than marginally better gas mileage can you please tell me one thing the non-S does better? Also, don't compare my driving to Walter Rohl. I believe Walter himself would get the S to perform better than a non-S. I am not sure why you are so condescending. If we use your logic why get a non-S. Spend less and get a new M4. A super care for less money. The S is a step up. You may not want it or need it but it's a step up.

Your correctness about this is overwhelming.

Allow me to make the following public confession:
Got it. [Camera forward:] Purchasing an S model provides a completeness to your well-being that only you can truly understand. Others have proven this to be correct. My dissension or playfulness is a disorganized affront to rationality.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:55 AM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a C2 with Sport Chrono and PDK (and paddle shifts, blue full leather, glass sunroof, Bose). Taking it to the limit is extremely scary. Sport Plus in second and third gear is total insanity. The base brakes are plenty fine for me. Perfectly stable at 130mph. No doubt the S is worth it, I just wouldn't know what more to do with it than I can with my base. I wanted a 911, nothing else would do, and I got a wonderful 911. The only thing I messed up was not getting PSE but even then my engine sounds so sweet. Never once in 22K miles did I think, I need a better engine, I need a better suspension, I need better brakes.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:34 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Are we taking this trend to the one below? Would I get a thumb down next time I wave to a S driver?

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8146...xperience.html

Quick Reply: 991 Vs 991S