Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Vs 991S

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:49 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats the issue. I want it as a DD but without the front lift kit, I'll have to sell my home and move to a house with a flatter driveway LOL!!! And I had to backtrack. PTV is included with the S. PASM is 890 charge on the S, discounted from the non-s charge of 2090. Net-net, those items optioned together on the non-s total $2520. So its exactly $12480 for 50 more HP and 1/2 inch larger brakes to buy the S. IMHO, not worth it. All the other times as listed above in post#175 make there case for Porsche marketing genius, i say!
Old 07-13-2014, 08:06 PM
StudGarden
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

So why not get a used 991 S? That seems like the sweet spot for your stated uses. Anyway I came up with the price differential of 7 grand by adding PTV, which you do get standard on an S unless they changed it recently, and PASM plus the 20" wheels that most base models come with anyway, plus a fudge factor of a grand for the brakes and exhaust. I'm still certain it's more than just the tips. There's something else you get that effects sound but I forget what exactly it is off hand. As for leases, I get the on paper benefit. It just seems like total out of pocket is too high but then again if you like to flip new cars it's the only way to go. I keep cars 10+ years anyway as I only but what I love/need and don't care about the latest and greatest until I need another one. Have you driven a 997 gt3? I haven't, and I'm sure it's awesome. But everyone says it's much less of a live able DD than a 991, and a 991S is pretty much the same car on the track. Still though, they're all awesome. It's just a matter of degree relative to their use.

The power kit is 14 grand I think and gives 30hp and zero torque. The 50 hp and torque an S gives plus the other things is an incredible value.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:08 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Yes. The GT3 wAs sick. A 2010 w/o the lift kit. $120. I'll wait two years for the 991. It's not a question of flipping. Haven't had a Porsche since 96. Anyway. Bad financing on used. That's why I went 991 new or else I woke have bought new. Porsche gives great lease two year deals hense my Decesion. Listen this is just a intellectual exercise. Those who have bought S cars good for you. When I read posts stating that S cars get all these "free" upgrades I have to pause. Sorry but it's brilliant marketing. Go build one on the website and you'll come to the concltsion
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 PM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StudGarden
I'm still certain it's more than just the tips. There's something else you get that effects sound but I forget what exactly it is off hand.
The center muffler is different - I replaced the one on my 3.4 with one from a 3.8. The S muffler has valves that operate to allow the exhaust to exit through either the side mufflers or dump straight out the other tip (or both).
Old 07-14-2014, 12:56 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Aha. Larger engine higher reving. Bet it has a lot to do with emissions as much anything else
Old 07-14-2014, 12:31 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
...The S muffler has valves that operate to allow the exhaust to exit through either the side mufflers or dump straight out the other tip (or both).
Sure sounds as though you're describing PSE. If the S already comes standard with something like that, how can they offer PSE as an option? The car can only be so loud before it's in violation of new car noise requirements.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:36 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Excellent point And I think you are correct. PSE exhaust
Old 07-15-2014, 07:57 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dalema
The S muffler has valves that operate to allow the exhaust to exit through either the side mufflers or dump straight out the other tip (or both).
Originally Posted by 1analguy
Sure sounds as though you're describing PSE. If the S already comes standard with something like that, how can they offer PSE as an option? The car can only be so loud before it's in violation of new car noise requirements.
It's not like PSE runs on top of the other valve... it's very similar to the standard S muffler, but with PSE you can have it open all the time if you wish. The standard S muffler bypass only actuates on idle and at high RPMs, AFAIK. So PSE "open" should not be any louder than the standard S muffler when it's open. The difference is that you really have to get on it for the car to open the valve for you, and with PSE you can be loud at more restrained speeds.

I don't know why they make it so complicated...
Old 07-15-2014, 08:00 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Since were on the subject of GT3's etc., Whats the cost to replace the front skirt?
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
Since were on the subject of GT3's etc., Whats the cost to replace the front skirt?
around $189-220 depending upon source and version, perversely the motorsport version(s) are about 20-40 cheaper than the street version. Its "designed" to be a consumable item and it takes about 1 minute to replace
Old 07-15-2014, 08:17 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

I feel s much better!! Thanks LC
Old 07-15-2014, 08:20 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,604 Likes on 2,343 Posts

Originally Posted by promocop
I feel s much better!! Thanks LC
its much less complex than on the 991s ... its not (normally) painted so its even cheaper and its a more flexible part!

I once lost one at 120mph on a bumpy A road in Scotland ... tore clear off ... saw it bouncing down the road in the rear view mirror ...
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 PM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Too much Lagavulin 20
Old 07-16-2014, 12:32 AM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MJBird993
It's not like PSE runs on top of the other valve... it's very similar to the standard S muffler, but with PSE you can have it open all the time if you wish. The standard S muffler bypass only actuates on idle and at high RPMs, AFAIK. So PSE "open" should not be any louder than the standard S muffler when it's open. The difference is that you really have to get on it for the car to open the valve for you, and with PSE you can be loud at more restrained speeds.

I don't know why they make it so complicated...
Jeez...you make the standard S exhaust sound almost exactly like what I'm after (I'd really like it to be quiet all the time), and PSE sound like I should avoid it like the plague. If this is really true, then I'll stop searching for a car with PSE right away, and I can save even more money. Yes, I'm the oddball here in that I like all my cars as quiet as possible. Even with the quietest factory exhaust, I know I'll still be able to hear that sweet Porsche flat six sound...I just don't need everyone else to hear it as well. That way I can enjoy the car's performance more often...
Old 07-16-2014, 12:37 AM
promocop
Burning Brakes

Agreed. Guy up the street has it and rips down the block in the am Abnoxious and totally rude

Quick Reply: 991 Vs 991S