Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Vs 991S

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014 | 01:47 PM
MarcusG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
An invalid but perfectly understandable perception is that most others share our attitudes and values. Having owned 911s for over 40 years, I have found that most Porsche owners are sports car enthusiasts and take a great deal of pride in their Porsches regardless of model. But there are others who buy a Porsche as a status symbol. This latter group is far less likely than the former to wave or even acknowledge a wave from another Porsche owner.

Moreover, there are many people who simply don't value what Porsche offers. To this group a car that offers comfort and almost complete isolation from the road is what they value. So a $90K Lexus LS 460 is the car that they buy, and they are completely baffled as to why anyone would spend $125K+ on a compact car that offers little in the way of comfort.

Bottom line is that those who buy a Porsche to impress others will likely be disappointed, since as incredible as it may be to members of this forum, there are many people who don't care for Porsches for a variety of reasons.

Amen brother.
Old 05-18-2014 | 02:13 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
I have never seen a more sensitive group as Porsche owners, which I find bizarre. Complaining that somebody doesn't wave back, this whole debate, to "my car got rained on what should I do?"

What is it with this group that craves validation for their purchases, and suffers from insecurities? Porsche driver should have ***** and not give a f@ck what other people think. It's depressing.
+1 , this board has changed a lot from 15 yrs ago . Not being able to see the engine anymore is creating a newer generation of 911 owner who is buying a " faster and faster seat " , not a "motorcar " , IMO.
Old 05-18-2014 | 02:28 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by MKW
Not being able to see the engine anymore is creating a newer generation of 911 owner who is buying a " faster and faster seat " , not a "motorcar " , IMO.
You will have to define "motorcar" if you want to make a blanket statement like that.

"This" generation grew up building computers and ultrafast networks, so if a computer controlled car is not your idea of a motorcar and you prefer changing your own oil and tuning your own carb, then you are right, this is not the motorcar you want.

"This" generation grew up with George Gilder and accelerating into the microcosm, so perhaps faster and faster is all we have, IMO.
Old 05-18-2014 | 03:17 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
You will have to define "motorcar" if you want to make a blanket statement like that.

"This" generation grew up building computers and ultrafast networks, so if a computer controlled car is not your idea of a motorcar and you prefer changing your own oil and tuning your own carb, then you are right, this is not the motorcar you want.

"This" generation grew up with George Gilder and accelerating into the microcosm, so perhaps faster and faster is all we have, IMO.
Faster and faster to what end ..I feel for kids today who must play year round sports, specializing in one by age 10, to stand out ; who must do continuous high school service projects every summer through high school to get into top colleges; who must work 10 weeks every summer at internships to have any hope of securing top jobs out of college ; who then must be engaged 24/7 with work to show team dedication , and on and on, but you will be still obsoleted by someone 4 yrs younger who is already a technilogical generation ahead of you while THEY are still in college .

I grew up playing ad lib all summer long with neighborhood friends all through high school, enjoyed summers off during college, transitioned into a successful career where I never took my work home and am enjoying full retirement now in my 50s where I tinker and keep up with cool modern electronic gadgets but get just as much pleasure using my hands to engage in many hobbies and activities

it was and has been a relaxed pace throughout
Old 05-18-2014 | 03:24 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by MKW
Faster and faster to what end ..I feel for kids today who must play year round sports, specializing in one by age 10, to stand out ; who must do continuous high school service projects every summer through high school to get into top colleges; who must work 10 weeks every summer at internships to have any hope of securing top jobs out of college ; who then must be engaged 24/7 with work to show team dedication , and on and on, but you will be still obsoleted by someone 4 yrs younger who is already a technilogical generation ahead of you while THEY are still in college .

I grew up playing ad lib all summer long with neighborhood friends all through high school, enjoyed summers off during college, transitioned into a successful career where I never took my work home and am enjoying full retirement now in my 50s where I tinker and keep up with cool modern electronic gadgets but get just as much pleasure using my hands to engage in many hobbies and activities

What you have just descrbed is a recipe for a long life. On the other hand I had a couple of friends who consistently worked 60+ stressful hours a week, made a lot of money, and died in their early 60s.
Old 05-18-2014 | 03:25 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by MKW
Maybe not the best way to live, but's that's all they know and have and better than the realities of what they will get otherwise.
The world grew smaller,resources grew scarcer and competition grew tougher, Sir. They have to compete.

Originally Posted by MKW

You Sir, had the luxury. Enjoy your motorcars in the way you deem fit.
Old 05-18-2014 | 04:32 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rpilot
Maybe not the best way to live, but's that's all they know and have and better than the realities of what they will get otherwise.
The world grew smaller,resources grew scarcer and competition grew tougher, Sir. They have to compete.

You Sir, had the luxury. Enjoy your motorcars in the way you deem fit.
thx, I truly feel sorry for those who will need to to be "engaged " in their professional life 24/7 the next 40 years ! Article today about current elite MBA students needing to network also in person even when or most importantly ON VACATION during their working lives had me rolling my eyes . I see massive mid life crises in coming decades unlike any before.

btw, here in the heart of Silicon Valley, which drives the rapid continuous virtual/ digital changes being felt around the world of education, leisure time and commerce 24/7 , events such as the following which shows people, esp the younger ones, that we humans still like to keep our hands busy SLOWLY building something off the wall and the showcases for that work are getting bigger and bigger attended every year . More to life than a keyboard and screen. Yesterday was great ! Some were in line hours before opening. Expecting 150,000 this year for the 2days :

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-...reverent-event

Last edited by MKW; 05-18-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2014 | 10:31 PM
rpilot
Pro

Originally Posted by MKW
thx, I truly feel sorry for those who will need to to be "engaged " in their professional life 24/7 the next 40 years ! Article today about current elite MBA students needing to network also in person even when or most importantly ON VACATION during their working lives had me rolling my eyes . I see massive mid life crises in coming decades unlike any before.

btw, here in the heart of Silicon Valley, which drives the rapid continuous virtual/ digital changes being felt around the world of education, leisure time and commerce 24/7 , events such as the following which shows people, esp the younger ones, that we humans still like to keep our hands busy SLOWLY building something off the wall and the showcases for that work are getting bigger and bigger attended every year . More to life than a keyboard and screen. Yesterday was great ! Some were in line hours before opening. Expecting 150,000 this year for the 2days :

I do not disagree with you but it is obvious that we see the world through a different prism. Regardless, you sound like a gentleman and as such these things are best discussed over scotch (or whatever your libation of choice is !). This seems to be the wrong forum to take this discussion further.
Old 05-18-2014 | 11:45 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

There were quite a few of these " Should I buy the S or Non S?" topics before. Not sure why this one turned out the way it did.
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:23 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
...I buy based on cost to own more then cost to buy. Plus I will buy one that is a 12.5 or 13 versus brand new. Any thoughts?...
If you're looking at the same cars that I am, you will have noticed on Porsche's used vehicle locator that a similarly equipped / similar mileage C2S is only worth a few thousand $ more than a C2. So a pre-owned CPO C2S is worth that amount extra...if the S's extra spec is important to you. I think some here forget that not all of us can afford to disregard the stiff depreciation of the S in its first 2 or 3 years, and I thank them for disregarding it, as it will make 911S ownership possible for me.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Who wants to spend all that money for the 2nd best car?...
The S is the "best" car? It's only one step up from the bottom wrung on the 911 ladder. If you have an S, there are plent of 911 owners who can look down on you as well. Aren't the coming GTS, or the GT3, or the Turbo, or the Turbo S all "better" than the S by your standards?

Originally Posted by socalsteve
With that logic, why stop there? Get a turbo s....hell, get a Lamborghini!.....
Or a Pagani, or a Koenigsegg, or a Bugatti?

Originally Posted by Bacura
...Other than marginally better gas mileage can you please tell me one thing the non-S does better?...
It causes less damage to the wallet, which is no small thing to some of us. In addition, the combination of the base car's lighter wheels and brakes should give it better ride quality and rough road handling than the S.
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:44 PM
fast1
Race Car

It causes less damage to the wallet, which is no small thing to some of us. In addition, the combination of the base car's lighter wheels and brakes should give it better ride quality and rough road handling than the S.

Let's face it, even a base 991 offers more performance potential than can reasonably be explored on public roads. For the significant number of 911 owners who never track their cars, a base 991 is an excellent choice. As someone who use to own a 997S with sports suspension, I can easily see why many would opt for a base 911, even when price is not a significant consideration.
Old 05-21-2014 | 10:48 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by 1analguy
. .. the combination of the base car's lighter wheels and brakes should give it better ride quality and rough road handling than the S.
Meps. Unacceptable. (But I will give a pass if you can name the character.)

You are on the right track. Except the 991S comes with PASM standard, and PASM is a far more significant improvement than anything a simple wheel change can match.
Old 05-22-2014 | 03:23 AM
Andrew Keery
Rennlist Member

I own a base and an S. I started out with the base and thought that was all I needed. Love the car. Now that I have the S though, I really notice the difference. I know it's 'only' 50hp, but the car just feels a lot more lively in every gear, particularly low down. I notice the PASM too, although less so than the overall increase in pep. As many others have said, there is no wrong choice here. It's subjective. Both cars are great. My opinion only, I prefer the S.
Old 05-22-2014 | 11:35 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Team Plutonium
This thread went full retard, but then again, this is what we do here. Carry on.
I second this motion...how did this get even worse?
Old 05-22-2014 | 11:36 AM
Hammer911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MKW

Objection...relevance?! BTW, do we know if the OP decided yet?

Quick Reply: 991 Vs 991S